Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Moderator caution: Referral offers -or- links are NOT permitted in any thread in the Chase forum. Instead, see: Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first Please do not post ANY application links in the Wikipost or thread, even if you think they are not referral links. If you think there is an extraordinary circumstance where the link is difficult to find elsewhere, consult with a moderator before posting.

What is the best current offer?
A. Beginning April 14, 2022, the public offer has been increased to 80,000 Bonus Points After You Spend $4,000 On Purchases In The First 3 Months From Account Opening. Annual fee [$95] is not waived. This offer is now publicly available. Based on some datapoints, it may be possible to get this offer at your local Chase branch with a one year waiver of the annual fee.

For any CSP offer, be sure to check the pricing details before applying. Normally, the annual fee for the CSP for year 2 and later is $95; however, in mid-2014 and then again more recently, Chase began randomly changing the pricing for some visits to the pages above, with AF as high as $150. If you get a page with that higher pricing, try reloading the page.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. This card is subject to the Chase 5/24 policy. For details, see the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Q. I'm an authorized user for a card issued to my spouse/parent. Does that prevent me from signing up for the same card and earning a bonus?

A. No, being an authorized user does not prevent you from obtaining your own card / bonus.

Q. I just met the spend requirement. When will I receive my signup bonus points?

A. In most cases, your bonus will be credited after the close of the monthly billing cycle in which you meet the spend requirement. (Chase never posts signup bonuses mid-cycle.)

However, owing to a quirk in Chase's system, bonuses associated with charges incurred in the last ~7 days of a billing period may not post until the end of the following billing period. This is true even if the charges appear on your current statement and generate the standard number of points per dollar spent.

Thus, if you meet your bonus spend threshold late in your billing cycle, you may not receive the corresponding signup bonus until the following month. Calling Chase to complain will not change this, so be patient and enjoy your points when they finally appear.

Q. What's the value of a UR point? What are the best redemption options?

A. Because these questions are not specific to the Sapphire Preferred card, see discussion in the following separate threads:
Q. What are the benefits of this card other than UR points?

Benefits Guide https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferred

A. See the discussion in Chase Sapphire Preferred Benefits Thread, especially the source documents referenced in the wiki.
Other discussion
Which travel booking sites qualify for 2x points on CSP?

To review previous Sapphire Preferred thread, click HERE.

Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2021, 5:13 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
DP: Chase branch today told me, "Currently no referral bonuses for any Sapphire product." Not sure how accurate that is.
It looks like it is still available online:

https://creditcards.chase.com/refer-a-friend
elsenor likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 8:56 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by EdofFX

Question on referrals - If my wife who has the regular Freedom card refers me for the Sapphire Preferred 100K offer, does she get the 20K UR points?

FWIW, I am not an authorized user on the card but we do have a couple of joinnt checking accounts and mortgages as well as the same address and we are both Chase Private Clients.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 10:01 am

Programs: oneworld Rusty Iron; Starwood Aluminum
Originally Posted by crazyhorse
Question on referrals - If my wife who has the regular Freedom card refers me for the Sapphire Preferred 100K offer, does she get the 20K UR points?

FWIW, I am not an authorized user on the card but we do have a couple of joinnt checking accounts and mortgages as well as the same address and we are both Chase Private Clients.
For your wife to receive the 20k referral bonus, she has to have the CSP card...
Old Aug 6, 2021, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
Question on referrals - If my wife who has the regular Freedom card refers me for the Sapphire Preferred 100K offer, does she get the 20K UR points?....
Originally Posted by elsenor
For your wife to receive the 20k referral bonus, she has to have the CSP card...

Your wife cannot refer a card that she does not have herself.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 12:35 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by EdofFX

SMH, I figured as much.

Does me having CSR make me bonus-eligible to refer someone for CSP or must it be the exact same product?
Old Aug 7, 2021, 1:45 pm

SMH, I figured as much.

Does me having CSR make me bonus-eligible to refer someone for CSP or must it be the exact same product?
I think it must be the same product. The website will ask you for the last 4 digits of your card, before they will generate a referral link. So if you don't have a CSP, they can tell by the last 4 digits of your card that it is not a CSP. That is my guess. I have not gone through the process to get rejected.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 6:53 am

SMH, I figured as much.

At this time, you must have a CSP to refer someone for a CSP.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 8:26 am

Does the bonus offer appear on the dashboard right away?
Applied 22Jul, approved 31Jul (delayed because I had a fraud alert set and had to call in to verify) - but still not seeing UR dashboard with the bonus offer.

I'm certain it's been over 48 months, my CSR bonus of 100k was posted back in Dec 2016.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anybody got the Timed-Out error lately?

Just tried to do my husband's application and got the dreaded circle which after a long long while, came back a timed-out error - identical like what I got in May, using FireFox. It was on Wed, so I doubt today being Sunday has anything to do with the same timed-out error.

Will try again on Monday morning and hope the connection glitch would disappear. Ugh.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 2:55 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by senyah
Does the bonus offer appear on the dashboard right away?
Applied 22Jul, approved 31Jul (delayed because I had a fraud alert set and had to call in to verify) - but still not seeing UR dashboard with the bonus offer.

I'm certain it's been over 48 months, my CSR bonus of 100k was posted back in Dec 2016.
My wife got the card just over a month ago just for the 100K bonus, and so far no bonus tracker is on her account dashboard. She's never had a Sapphire product in the past.

We'll hit the threshold by the end of month two, and I hope there will be no problems with getting the bonus.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Smaug
My wife got the card just over a month ago just for the 100K bonus, and so far no bonus tracker is on her account dashboard. She's never had a Sapphire product in the past.

We'll hit the threshold by the end of month two, and I hope there will be no problems with getting the bonus.
Check in the mobile app. I've never seen the tracker on web either, but it's clearly displayed on mobile.
senyah and Critterlynn like this.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by fungusamungus
Check in the mobile app. I've never seen the tracker on web either, but it's clearly displayed on mobile.
Thanks for this - never use the mobile app, but the tracker shows up here. All good to go.

re: the tracker on the web - it is not on the Chase page itself, but on the UR page when you click through to it. Maybe it will come up some point down the line.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 3:28 pm

New changes

Can’t figure out how to delete the post.

Last edited by GroupChickTravelin; Aug 10, 2021 at 3:30 pm Reason: Moving to another thread
Old Aug 11, 2021, 7:37 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by strickerj
I've put in my application and am waiting for the callback. (I have a fraud alert on my credit report so every application has to be verified manually.)

I canceled my CSR outright 2 years ago and haven't had a Sapphire product since, so nothing to downgrade for me.
Just wanted to provide an update - Chase seems to be a bit behind on the manual reviews but I did get my confirmation callback this past Monday (8/9, or 10 days after I applied) and got approved. The account and bonus tracker are already showing in my app, so I guess all is well. (I assume the bonus tracker wouldn't appear if you're not actually eligible for the bonus? Or would it still post and get manually reviewed / clawed back later?)
Old Aug 11, 2021, 8:21 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by strickerj
....assume the bonus tracker wouldn't appear if you're not actually eligible for the bonus?
A Sapphire card application would not have been approved if you were not eligible for the bonus.
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.