Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Moderator caution: Referral offers -or- links are NOT permitted in any thread in the Chase forum. Instead, see: Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first Please do not post ANY application links in the Wikipost or thread, even if you think they are not referral links. If you think there is an extraordinary circumstance where the link is difficult to find elsewhere, consult with a moderator before posting.

What is the best current offer?
A. Beginning April 14, 2022, the public offer has been increased to 80,000 Bonus Points After You Spend $4,000 On Purchases In The First 3 Months From Account Opening. Annual fee [$95] is not waived. This offer is now publicly available. Based on some datapoints, it may be possible to get this offer at your local Chase branch with a one year waiver of the annual fee.

For any CSP offer, be sure to check the pricing details before applying. Normally, the annual fee for the CSP for year 2 and later is $95; however, in mid-2014 and then again more recently, Chase began randomly changing the pricing for some visits to the pages above, with AF as high as $150. If you get a page with that higher pricing, try reloading the page.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. This card is subject to the Chase 5/24 policy. For details, see the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

As of August 2018, all Chase Sapphire cards are subject to an additional restriction:
The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 48 months.
See Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months between bonuses, August 2018 for details and ongoing discussion.

Q. I'm an authorized user for a card issued to my spouse/parent. Does that prevent me from signing up for the same card and earning a bonus?

A. No, being an authorized user does not prevent you from obtaining your own card / bonus.

Q. I just met the spend requirement. When will I receive my signup bonus points?

A. In most cases, your bonus will be credited after the close of the monthly billing cycle in which you meet the spend requirement. (Chase never posts signup bonuses mid-cycle.)

However, owing to a quirk in Chase's system, bonuses associated with charges incurred in the last ~7 days of a billing period may not post until the end of the following billing period. This is true even if the charges appear on your current statement and generate the standard number of points per dollar spent.

Thus, if you meet your bonus spend threshold late in your billing cycle, you may not receive the corresponding signup bonus until the following month. Calling Chase to complain will not change this, so be patient and enjoy your points when they finally appear.

Q. What's the value of a UR point? What are the best redemption options?

A. Because these questions are not specific to the Sapphire Preferred card, see discussion in the following separate threads:
Q. What are the benefits of this card other than UR points?

Benefits Guide https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferred

A. See the discussion in Chase Sapphire Preferred Benefits Thread, especially the source documents referenced in the wiki.
Other discussion
Which travel booking sites qualify for 2x points on CSP?

To review previous Sapphire Preferred thread, click HERE.

Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) : 60K , $4k spend, $95 fee. (2013-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2016, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
You have three months from account opening to spend the $4,000. There is no way they're going to cut you off at 60 something days and claim you didn't meet the requirement. However, don't expect the bonus points to post until after the statement date.
Thanks. I swear I thought I'd heard of folks getting screwed in that very same way though - but not necessarily on this same card or by Chase.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 6:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by Productivity
Note if you don't have one of the 'premium' Ultimate Rewards cards and only the Freedoms, you cannot transfer to partners - only cash back.
I have a Freedom card enrolled in Ultimate Rewards and was able to transfer points - nothing premium about it as far as I know. I no longer use it, but when I got the Sapphire, I combined the points from both cards and transferred to Hyatt Gold Passport.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 6:53 pm

That doesn't sound right. When viewing the Ultimate Rewards portal from the Freedom Unlimited account, there is no option to transfer to travel partners. I only see that when viewing the UR portal from my CSP account. You're saying you're seeing the option from your Freedom account?

I have a Freedom card enrolled in Ultimate Rewards and was able to transfer points - nothing premium about it as far as I know. I no longer use it, but when I got the Sapphire, I combined the points from both cards and transferred to Hyatt Gold Passport.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by PackingIt
That doesn't sound right. When viewing the Ultimate Rewards portal from the Freedom Unlimited account, there is no option to transfer to travel partners. I only see that when viewing the UR portal from my CSP account. You're saying you're seeing the option from your Freedom account?
Well, I had "ultimate rewards" points earned on that card. I had no idea what they were until I got the Chase Sapphire and noticed the "ultimate rewards" terminology. I combined them once I got the 40K bonus and transferred them to Hyatt. Sorry, I don't remember the mechanics. And the website has been completely redesigned since then. I no longer use that card and don't have any points or balance.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 10:33 pm

Well, I had "ultimate rewards" points earned on that card. I had no idea what they were until I got the Chase Sapphire and noticed the "ultimate rewards" terminology. I combined them once I got the 40K bonus and transferred them to Hyatt. Sorry, I don't remember the mechanics. And the website has been completely redesigned since then. I no longer use that card and don't have any points or balance.
That's the point about the free cards and the 'premier' (with annual fee) cards. If you only have free cards, you can't redeem for anything but cash back. If you have a annual fee card you can transfer it to that to turn it into other points.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 11:16 pm

That's the point about the free cards and the 'premier' (with annual fee) cards. If you only have free cards, you can't redeem for anything but cash back. If you have a annual fee card you can transfer it to that to turn it into other points.
There is no fee on the card.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 3:09 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
Was anyone able to get this card even if they applied for more than 5 cards within 24 months
Old Aug 15, 2016, 6:22 am

There most certainly is an annual fee for a Sapphire Preferred. It may be waived the first year but there still is a fee. Again without it (or one of the Ink cards or the Palladium) you couldn't have turned your Ultimate Rewards earned on the Freedom or Freedom Unlimited into Hyatt points.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 7:27 am

...I got the Chase Sapphire...
I'm assuming you mean Sapphire Preferred because you were able to transfer UR points to Hyatt.

Yes there is.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 8:19 am

There most certainly is an annual fee for a Sapphire Preferred. It may be waived the first year but there still is a fee. Again without it (or one of the Ink cards or the Palladium) you couldn't have turned your Ultimate Rewards earned on the Freedom or Freedom Unlimited into Hyatt points.
Correct (except that Ink Cash is not a premium card).

Anyone who is still unclear on these issues should read the wiki for Ultimate Rewards transfer partners, times & rules
Old Aug 15, 2016, 8:35 am

There is no fee on the FREEDOM card that I have and I was able to transfer those Ultimate Rewards points. Of course there is a fee on the Sapphire Preferred.

As I indicated above, I didn't remember the "mechanics" of how this happened. I just logged on to Chase Ultimate Rewards. It gave me a choice of logging into "Freedom" or "Chase Sapphire." I selected "Freedom." Under "Most Recent Activity," it says

4/15 Points Moved To-ILuvParis -xxxx (# of points) -

Order Number:Bxxxxxx Moved to account ending ...xxxx (Sapphire Pr. Acct #)
Order Details Combine Points -xxxxx (# of points)

So, I was able to combine my Freedom Ultimate Rewards Points with my Chase Sapphire Ultimate Rewards Points and then I was able to transfer them to Hyatt.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 8:57 am

Order Number:Bxxxxxx Moved to account ending ...xxxx (Sapphire Pr. Acct #)
This isn't hard. You have, or had, a Sapphire Preferred card.

So long as one has any premium UR card, including CSP, then yes, of course it's possible to combine UR & then transfer to partners. Anybody with multiple UR cards has always been able to freely move UR between them.

The fact that your Freedom card has no fee is utterly irrelevant.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by beltway
This isn't hard. You have, or had, a Sapphire Preferred card.

So long as one has any premium UR card, including CSP, then yes, of course it's possible to combine UR & then transfer to partners.

The fact that your Freedom card has no fee is utterly irrelevant.
OK, then I misunderstood. I thought the point being made was that with the Freedom card, cash back was the only option. (And, as I re-read the posts, I see your point.) My apologies.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 3:18 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
OK, then I misunderstood. I thought the point being made was that with the Freedom card, cash back was the only option.
No.

You can book travel through the UR portal at 1 cent per point with a Freedom card. a $150 United flight will cost 15,000 UR points. You just don't get the 25% you would with a premium card CSP, Ink P. and you can't directly transfer without combining to a premium card first.

Probably better to take the cash and buy the ticket by some other means price wise though.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 6:38 pm

I have a pretty dumb question. I've had CSP for about 20 months.

If I apply for the new Sapphire Reserved, can I instantly transfer my 140,000 UR points to that new card and then downgrade my CSP to Freedom or whatever to eliminate the AF? I'd never really use it but keep for credit history/spending (annually put around $65,000 on the card).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.