Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Related threads:

What are the best value segments under the new system?

Switching out of Marco Polo: What do you choose and why?

FAQs as answered by AgencyGuy:

When will the mid-tier benefits be awarded?
They will be awarded as the member hits the mid-tier milestone. Not at the end of the membership year. These will be valid for a year commencing the day they are granted. No points are deduced when members are awarded these benefits.

Does that mean a member reaching 1800 tier points will get all three mid-tier benefits?
Yes, each benefit will be made available as the member hits the 1400, 1600 and 1800 point milestones

What mid-tier benefits will be awarded as of the conversion date of 15 April 2016?
The mid-tier benefits will kick in automatically after 15th April, if your converted club points balance exceeds the mid-tier thresholds. So for a Diamond tier member, if your converted balance is 1800 points you will immediately have access to two first class lounge guest passes, four bookable upgrades and one companion Gold card.

A Gold member on his/her way to Diamond pick up four short/medium upgrades along the way, but a renewing Diamond gets nothing?
You are correct, Silver, Gold or Diamond members on their way to renewal, don’t get additional benefits until they reach the mid-tier thresholds. But they will get there, I guess the benefits are designed to recognize members who go the extra mile after they have passed their renewal thresholds.

Is there any requirement on the underlying booking sub-classes when using a mid-tier upgrade "coupon"?
Yes, the original flight needs to be booked in an “upgradable” sub-class, the same sub-classes that qualify for Asia Miles upgrades

Is economy upgraded to Premium Economy or business for flights with Premium Economy?
It is always a one class upgrade so Economy to Premium Economy, if a flight does not have Premium Economy then the upgrade is to Business.

Are the sub-classes for the upgraded bookings A, I, and E (if applicable)?
I don’t know what these subclasses are yet other than that they will be revenue instead of redemption sub-classes. I guess they will be announced later.

What miles will be awarded for a flight upgraded using a upgrade coupon? The original ticket class, or the upgraded class?
I understand that both points and miles will be credited based on the upgraded class.

Green Re-Qualification
For Green members, if their membership year ends before 15 April 2016, like now, their membership will automatically be renewed. If their membership ends after 15 April and they have ANY club points at that time, they will be automatically renewed for another year (even if they are below 100 pts). If their membership ends after 15 April and they have no club points at that time, they will lose their Green membership or have the option of paying the US$100 fee to renew.
Print Wikipost

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2016, 6:52 pm

Why would you take a flight just to keep GR? Remember that priority boarding for GR is now with PEY, and not business class previously.

If you don't have to fly too often in economy, I would just look for ways to fatten up the miles balance through credit card spend and use those miles to just redeem J. Alternatively, just fly another airline that has cheaper business class fares.

I know it's a thing to express undying love for CX on this board, but there are other (and possibly better) airlines out there.
Old May 18, 2016, 9:01 pm

As part of the mid tier rewards I received two free Business Class lounge passes

However the conditions are:

Only available to travel companions or Redemption Group members on flights operated and marketed by Cathay Pacific or Dragonair.
Travel companions are guests travelling with the Marco Polo Club member on the same booking, or travelling on the same flight date, with the same origin and destination, as the Marco Polo Club member.

So I can’t use them myself to access the lounge (for example when flying CI to Taiwan)

Generally my travel companions/redemption group members have their own cx status so don’t need extra lounge passes for lounges when taking CX flights (oneworld would be useful but it’s not offered)

These ‘benefits’ seem completely useless, as I can’t see any scenario where these lounge passes would benefit me. Has anyone used/is planning to use this benefit?

I guess I could try hawking them by the check-in counters on my CX flight to see if any non status passenger on my flight would pay to access a cx lounge. What should be the going rate?

Last edited by Herostratus; May 19, 2016 at 7:48 pm
Old May 18, 2016, 9:54 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Herostratus
As part of the mid tier rewards I received tw0 free Business Class lounge passes

However the conditions are:

Only available to travel companions or Redemption Group members on flights operated and marketed by Cathay Pacific or Dragonair.
Travel companions are guests travelling with the Marco Polo Club member on the same booking, or travelling on the same flight date, with the same origin and destination, as the Marco Polo Club member.

So I can’t use them myself to access the lounge (for example when flying CI to Taiwan)

Generally my travel companions/redemption group members have their own cx status so don’t need extra lounge passes for lounges when taking CX flights (oneworld would be useful but it’s not offered)

These ‘benefits’ seem completely useless, as I can’t see any scenario where these lounge passes would benefit me. Has anyone used/is planning to use this benefit?

I guess I could try hawking them by the check-in counters on my CX flight to see if any non status passenger on my flight would pay to access a cx lounge. What should be the going rate?
Assume you are a Silver member? I think the benefit is for those who are travelling with people who don't have status at all. But the fact you have to add the people to your redemption group as well makes it useless because the people you might be travelling with on a one-off basis (colleagues or friends) are not the people you want to redeem flights for.

Maybe the case where a spouse does travel for work, but the other spouse doesn't and you're going on holiday together....it might be useful then.....
Old May 19, 2016, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by sxc
Assume you are a Silver member? I think the benefit is for those who are travelling with people who don't have status at all. But the fact you have to add the people to your redemption group as well makes it useless because the people you might be travelling with on a one-off basis (colleagues or friends) are not the people you want to redeem flights for.

Maybe the case where a spouse does travel for work, but the other spouse doesn't and you're going on holiday together....it might be useful then.....
I'm gold and my partner is Diamond so the benefit is useless for both of us.

Its not clear but I was under the impression that you can nominate someone in your redemption group to use the passes even if you are not travelling. If you are travelling you can use them with anyone on the same flight.
Old May 19, 2016, 1:27 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Herostratus
I'm gold and my partner is Diamond so the benefit is useless for both of us.

Its not clear but I was under the impression that you can nominate someone in your redemption group to use the passes even if you are not travelling. If you are travelling you can use them with anyone on the same flight.
Sorry I misread the T&C....using the pass for a companion isn't useful as you can already invite an extra person who isn't even travelling on your flight (as long as they're travelling OW). I guess the only real benefit of the pass is inviting additional people on top of your one permitted guest.
Old May 19, 2016, 9:05 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by sxc
Sorry I misread the T&C....using the pass for a companion isn't useful as you can already invite an extra person who isn't even travelling on your flight (as long as they're travelling OW). I guess the only real benefit of the pass is inviting additional people on top of your one permitted guest.
Would be useful for family travel like my situation last year:

Me, my dad (GR) and mum (AM) and sister (GR)

This year it's useless as my sister is SL now
Old May 22, 2016, 9:21 pm

Programs: MPC DM
I have a general question about inviting guests into the lounge under the changed MPC rules (I was tempted to post the question in the lounge meet up master thread, but I didn't want to taint that thread with a general discussion).

Under the old rules, from memory, a member could invite guests into the lounge and entry would be granted based on the member's entitlement, i.e. the guest did not need to be travelling with the member or even travelling on Cathay/Dragonair/oneworld. But under the rules as published now, guests are allowed when they are travelling together on Cathay Pacific or Dragonair or a oneworld airline.

Aside from travel companions, I have only ever once invited a guest into the lounge, who was a colleague travelling on the same day as me but on a different flight. Under the revised rules, it appears that I would not be able to do that.

Has anyone had a guest denied for not travelling with the member, or has anyone successfully guested in someone since the rules changed who was not travelling on the same flight?

This might be a rule that could see stronger enforcement in future if not currently enforced if overcrowding is still seen to be a problem.

Moderators - apologies if this is not the best thread for this question.
Old May 22, 2016, 9:36 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by chater
Under the old rules, from memory, a member could invite guests into the lounge and entry would be granted based on the member's entitlement, i.e. the guest did not need to be travelling with the member or even travelling on Cathay/Dragonair/oneworld. But under the rules as published now, guests are allowed when they are travelling together on Cathay Pacific or Dragonair or a oneworld airline.
The actual T&C state this:
Available only to Gold members and one guest departing on flights marketed and operated by CPA, Dragonair and/or oneworld carrier flights.
So this is inline with the old rules and the OW access rules:

Emerald and Sapphire members may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld carrier.
So I think the MPC description is just to imply that your guest is with you at the same time rather than necessarily on the same flight.
Old May 22, 2016, 9:39 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Funny...I would be reading the following if I was GO:

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...dmittance.html "Passenger + 1 guest (departing on Cathay Pacific, Dragonair or oneworld carriers flights only)"

https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-...ungeaccess/HKG "Emerald and Sapphire members may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld carrier."

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...-benefits.html "Gold members may bring one guest to the lounge when they are travelling together on Cathay Pacific or Dragonair or a oneworld airline. Children under 2 years of age will be admitted without being counted as a guest."

Inadvertent error or deliberate restriction of policy by CX? If taken literally (and under strictest interpretation), a MPC GO's non-together guest will be denied into the Wing but a AA Plat's/BA Silver's non-together guest will be admitted?

(Of course nothing stops the GO storming off to the other non-CX OW lounge and getting admitted his guest admitted as an guest of OWS)
Old May 22, 2016, 9:40 pm

Thank you sxc and percysmith - two very fast and helpful replies! Although I don't post much here, I visit and read alot of posts and am always impressed by the resourcefulness and knowledge of those who post here more often than I.
Old May 22, 2016, 9:43 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Oh thanks sxc to your quote of the actual T&C. Yes that makes more sense.
Old May 22, 2016, 10:11 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by chater
Thank you sxc and percysmith - two very fast and helpful replies! Although I don't post much here, I visit and read alot of posts and am always impressed by the resourcefulness and knowledge of those who post here more often than I.
Welcome and hope you continue to contribute and lurk-less!
Old May 22, 2016, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
Welcome and hope you continue to contribute and lurk-less!
Thank you - I will do so - particularly if I have any useful experience or data points that can contribute to a discussion (e.g. compensation offers for downgrade volunteers).
Old May 23, 2016, 4:07 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by percysmith
Inadvertent error or deliberate restriction of policy by CX? If taken literally (and under strictest interpretation), a MPC GO's non-together guest will be denied into the Wing but a AA Plat's/BA Silver's non-together guest will be admitted?
It is possible for an airline's own members having fewer benefits than partners' members. An example is lounge access limitations for AA's Plat and EXP. However, I don't think that is CX's intention.

In one case many years ago, I was in a CX HKG lounge for a flight to SFO. My niece arrived at HKIA later for a BA flight to LHR, and I guested her in. I don't think that has changed.
Old May 27, 2016, 11:08 pm

" new benefits " misleading and a joke

The changes are dressed up in such a way to mislead existing members who may not and have not read between the lines.

It's a sad attempt by the club and a real devaluation of the upper tier but imposing heavier qualifying criteria.

Originally Posted by hadsst
+1. Very bad. Virtually removing the seat guarantee benefit.

And the 'new benefits' are a joke - a 'membership holiday' during which one cannot enjoy the club benefits? And lowering age qualification is even branded as a 'benefit'? Seems CX people really can't find any positive things to promote!

As for the mid-tier benefits, lounge passes for GO and DM are only useful when you have a large travelling group. Bookable upgrades may be useful but let's see what the priority will be. Anyway, most of those getting enough points for bookable upgrades would have probably been DM in the old system when they often enjoy op-ups.

What a huge devaluation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.