Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Related threads:

What are the best value segments under the new system?

Switching out of Marco Polo: What do you choose and why?

FAQs as answered by AgencyGuy:

When will the mid-tier benefits be awarded?
They will be awarded as the member hits the mid-tier milestone. Not at the end of the membership year. These will be valid for a year commencing the day they are granted. No points are deduced when members are awarded these benefits.

Does that mean a member reaching 1800 tier points will get all three mid-tier benefits?
Yes, each benefit will be made available as the member hits the 1400, 1600 and 1800 point milestones

What mid-tier benefits will be awarded as of the conversion date of 15 April 2016?
The mid-tier benefits will kick in automatically after 15th April, if your converted club points balance exceeds the mid-tier thresholds. So for a Diamond tier member, if your converted balance is 1800 points you will immediately have access to two first class lounge guest passes, four bookable upgrades and one companion Gold card.

A Gold member on his/her way to Diamond pick up four short/medium upgrades along the way, but a renewing Diamond gets nothing?
You are correct, Silver, Gold or Diamond members on their way to renewal, don’t get additional benefits until they reach the mid-tier thresholds. But they will get there, I guess the benefits are designed to recognize members who go the extra mile after they have passed their renewal thresholds.

Is there any requirement on the underlying booking sub-classes when using a mid-tier upgrade "coupon"?
Yes, the original flight needs to be booked in an “upgradable” sub-class, the same sub-classes that qualify for Asia Miles upgrades

Is economy upgraded to Premium Economy or business for flights with Premium Economy?
It is always a one class upgrade so Economy to Premium Economy, if a flight does not have Premium Economy then the upgrade is to Business.

Are the sub-classes for the upgraded bookings A, I, and E (if applicable)?
I don’t know what these subclasses are yet other than that they will be revenue instead of redemption sub-classes. I guess they will be announced later.

What miles will be awarded for a flight upgraded using a upgrade coupon? The original ticket class, or the upgraded class?
I understand that both points and miles will be credited based on the upgraded class.

Green Re-Qualification
For Green members, if their membership year ends before 15 April 2016, like now, their membership will automatically be renewed. If their membership ends after 15 April and they have ANY club points at that time, they will be automatically renewed for another year (even if they are below 100 pts). If their membership ends after 15 April and they have no club points at that time, they will lose their Green membership or have the option of paying the US$100 fee to renew.
Print Wikipost

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2016, 10:11 am

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Following - in fact I wonder if there's been any status match after the revamp. There's a data point of UA 1K --> matched to CX DM on a Chinese website but I highly doubt its legitimacy.

Personally I would be more than happy if CX could match me to GO...
No my friend isn't asking for status match.

She'll fly on CX/QR and credit everything to Asia Miles.

She just wonders if they will give her MPC SL for free, so she doesn't need to sign up for MPC GR and pay US$100.

MPC used to give out free SL for AM members who flew enough to get SL.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 9:26 pm

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
Question for the more experienced MP users

I'm at 455 club points towards renewing gold which ends at the end of September. I have a planned trip (I seat) from MNL - HKG, then HKG to YVR which according to the CX website totals 15 club points for mnl to hkg + 90 club points hkg to yvr for a total of 560 club points. Short 40 for renewing gold.

My Return to MNL would happen in October with the same points on the return which would renew me. Would CX downgrade me to silver because I didn't make it before the end of September?

If they do allow my return club points to go towards my renewal, would my new total be 600 or 655? I'm just not sure if I'd lose the 55 club points as in the past on the old system I lost quite a few asia miles when it came to upgrading to gold.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 12:59 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by blum81
I'm at 455 club points towards renewing gold which ends at the end of September. I have a planned trip (I seat) from MNL - HKG, then HKG to YVR which according to the CX website totals 15 club points for mnl to hkg + 90 club points hkg to yvr for a total of 560 club points. Short 40 for renewing gold.

My Return to MNL would happen in October with the same points on the return which would renew me. Would CX downgrade me to silver because I didn't make it before the end of September?
Technically CX should downgrade you, this is pretty straightforward and not a whole lot of ambiguity. You didn't make 600 Club Points by the end of September. Ergo -> downgrade. What you've booked in the future is irrelevant as far as the rules go. What if you don't fly? CX can't credit you for theoretical flights, even if paid for.

Now, in reality there are many reports on this forum of CX showing leniency. It seems mainly related to how CX is doing...which right now, isn't that well as yields are lower than they'd like and they just reported (yet again) more fuel hedging losses. Sometimes CX proactively renews members who are short without notice. Other times, members write/call in and status is renewed on a goodwill basis. Other times, members write/call in, and CX will say "okay, we'll downgrade you for a month, but as soon as you fly the segments we'll re-instate your Gold". Of course, technically you're entitled to nothing except a denial. So bear that in mind with your tone.

If they do allow my return club points to go towards my renewal, would my new total be 600 or 655? I'm just not sure if I'd lose the 55 club points as in the past on the old system I lost quite a few asia miles when it came to upgrading to gold.
You are confused on both counts. 1.) Asia Miles are not relevant, and 2.) Your balance will most likely be 0 if CX gives you GO, not 600 or 655.

To clarify: You've never lost Asia Miles before, Asia Miles accrue no matter what. They are the mileage currency. You mean you've lost Club Miles / Club Points (elite points) towards re qualification. And yes, you will "lose" the balance if you reset Gold. aka, when you reset you will be a GO with a 0 Club Point balance, not 55. Elite points do not roll over and you lose the excess. This is an annoyance of all members but it has been like this forever. I am not 100% sure how CX will deal with you and this effects the outcome. For example, if CX just resets your GO now as a goodwill gesture even though you're short, immediately you will go to 0 Club Point balance, and then all future flights (including the return sectors) will go towards your new year, aka 105 points. It's also possible CX extends your GO by an extra month, in which case your balance would go to 655 and then reset at the end of October back to 0. Or some other solution. Or a flat out denial. But you should know any of these solutions are goodwill, not your entitlement.

Now, there IS a way for you to guarantee "save" those extra Club Points without intervention by CX: if you want to accept the downgrade to Silver. In this case, you won't "lose" the future Club Points. Instead, you will be downgraded to SL, and then have 105 points (15+90) from your YVR-HKG-MNL I class flights towards your next membership year.

But these are ELITE miles. Your Asia Miles are totally unaffected here. You will receive the Asia Miles and they will stay in your account regardless of how the Club Points (elite points) situation works out between you and CX.

Make sense?

Last edited by QRC3288; Aug 21, 2016 at 1:09 am
Old Aug 21, 2016, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Elite points do not roll over and you lose the excess. This is an annoyance of all members but it has been like this forever.
This is what I was referring to when I meant lose points. Roll over is more of the correct term.

Appreciate the options. I thought about it, maybe downgrading then going back to gold, but I do have some options once I land in YVR as I do have further flights with AA. I just hope the AA points post fast enough to count towards the 600 total.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 5:40 am

Few questions regarding if I book a business class seat with a 3rd party agency.

1. If i book using Kayak, can I link the booking to my Marco Polo account?
2. If so, can I still apply for a companion upgrade if I didn't book directly with Cathay?

Same flight is significantly cheaper if i use Kayak.

Edit: never mind, decided to book directly with Cathay. 3rd party was Vayama and I read the reviews.

Last edited by blum81; Aug 24, 2016 at 5:44 pm
Old Aug 25, 2016, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Technically CX should downgrade you, this is pretty straightforward and not a whole lot of ambiguity. You didn't make 600 Club Points by the end of September. Ergo -> downgrade. What you've booked in the future is irrelevant as far as the rules go. What if you don't fly? CX can't credit you for theoretical flights, even if paid for.

Now, in reality there are many reports on this forum of CX showing leniency. It seems mainly related to how CX is doing...which right now, isn't that well as yields are lower than they'd like and they just reported (yet again) more fuel hedging losses. Sometimes CX proactively renews members who are short without notice. Other times, members write/call in and status is renewed on a goodwill basis. Other times, members write/call in, and CX will say "okay, we'll downgrade you for a month, but as soon as you fly the segments we'll re-instate your Gold". Of course, technically you're entitled to nothing except a denial. So bear that in mind with your tone.
So I just called MP club and explained the I class flight I booked and they extended my membership for 1 month. that'll give me more than enough time to renew
Old Aug 25, 2016, 6:11 pm

So I just called MP club and explained the I class flight I booked and they extended my membership for 1 month. that'll give me more than enough time to renew
Excellent, congratulations.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 3:14 am

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Just bought a return ticket on MH Business class from HKG-SIN return via KUL. Total cost HK$4585 (!!!) and nets 80 Club Points.

I know MH 737-800 business class is rubbish, but at these prices (around same as the more flexible CX economy fares) and with 80 CP on offer, why would anyone with even a little of bit flexibility fly CX? Talk about perverse incentives...
Old Sep 1, 2016, 3:35 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by midlevels
Just bought a return ticket on MH Business class from HKG-SIN return via KUL. Total cost HK$4585 (!!!) and nets 80 Club Points.

I know MH 737-800 business class is rubbish, but at these prices (around same as the more flexible CX economy fares) and with 80 CP on offer, why would anyone with even a little of bit flexibility fly CX? Talk about perverse incentives...
And MH frequently has sales on this route for $2900 plus tax....
Old Sep 1, 2016, 3:39 am

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by sxc
And MH frequently has sales on this route for $2900 plus tax....
For HKG-SIN in J?
Old Sep 1, 2016, 9:56 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by midlevels
For HKG-SIN in J?
Yes.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by sxc
Yes.
And the amazing Satay Cart! I Fly HKG-SIN lots for business and didn't realize how cheap Malaysian was. Will be booking this in future.

I do really hate that satellite terminal in HKG though
Old Sep 13, 2016, 10:22 am

Question for the more experienced MP users

Originally Posted by blum81 View Post
So I just called MP club and explained the I class flight I booked and they extended my membership for 1 month. that'll give me more than enough time to renew.

You have enough time to run for your points, here are some tips for you if it still works in this new Club Point scheme:

Step 1: fly your planned trip to get you reach 560 CLub Points (CPs)
2: remove your MPC no. on your return trip YVR>HKG>MNL
3: make a mileage run for 40 CPs within that month then call MPC to renew your Gold tier.
4: Once you become Gold, claim the 105 missing CPs for your next year.

Any expert can tell it's still working?
Old Sep 13, 2016, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by TalkFlyer
Originally Posted by blum81 View Post
So I just called MP club and explained the I class flight I booked and they extended my membership for 1 month. that'll give me more than enough time to renew.

You have enough time to run for your points, here are some tips for you if it still works in this new Club Point scheme:

Step 1: fly your planned trip to get you reach 560 CLub Points (CPs)
2: remove your MPC no. on your return trip YVR>HKG>MNL
3: make a mileage run for 40 CPs within that month then call MPC to renew your Gold tier.
4: Once you become Gold, claim the 105 missing CPs for your next year.

Any expert can tell it's still working?

Thanks for the response. I'm actually doing what you recommended by covering the 40 points by taking a flight a business class flight with AA before I return to asia.

Arriving to YVR I'll be at 560 points and the outstanding 40 will be covered on my trip to SFO with AA business class. As per my conversation with MP the AA points should settle in time before I fly back to HKG/MNL.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 8:22 am

1 month automatic early reset?

I will be at 1800 CP about 8-9 months into my membership year.

In the past, CX would reset our membership years about 20-30 days "early" (effectively giving you 13 months for your next year) if you already cleared DM. Now, I was assuming this would be gone with the mid-tier benefits. But what if we've already achieved all the mid-tier benefits? Think they'll reset a month early like before? Anyone there yet or hazard to guess?

I do have some flexibility, and I might consider delaying some cash tickets on CX if it's irrelevant when I cross 1800 CP. The other issue is the glitch in issuing the companion GO card: with only precisely 12 months validity for the companion GO card, a DM has zero incentive to issue it until the very end of his MPC year, in order to lock the GO card member's year in tandem with the DM. Thid effectively makes early achievement of 1800 CP pointless the first year *and even detrimental if you fly extreme amounts* (due to CX forcing issuances within 6 months). I described this issue in another thread, the sensible policy is issue it to the end of the DMs next membership year. Not a problem too many will have I suspect, but still a little annoying.

Thoughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.