Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Related threads:

What are the best value segments under the new system?

Switching out of Marco Polo: What do you choose and why?

FAQs as answered by AgencyGuy:

When will the mid-tier benefits be awarded?
They will be awarded as the member hits the mid-tier milestone. Not at the end of the membership year. These will be valid for a year commencing the day they are granted. No points are deduced when members are awarded these benefits.

Does that mean a member reaching 1800 tier points will get all three mid-tier benefits?
Yes, each benefit will be made available as the member hits the 1400, 1600 and 1800 point milestones

What mid-tier benefits will be awarded as of the conversion date of 15 April 2016?
The mid-tier benefits will kick in automatically after 15th April, if your converted club points balance exceeds the mid-tier thresholds. So for a Diamond tier member, if your converted balance is 1800 points you will immediately have access to two first class lounge guest passes, four bookable upgrades and one companion Gold card.

A Gold member on his/her way to Diamond pick up four short/medium upgrades along the way, but a renewing Diamond gets nothing?
You are correct, Silver, Gold or Diamond members on their way to renewal, don’t get additional benefits until they reach the mid-tier thresholds. But they will get there, I guess the benefits are designed to recognize members who go the extra mile after they have passed their renewal thresholds.

Is there any requirement on the underlying booking sub-classes when using a mid-tier upgrade "coupon"?
Yes, the original flight needs to be booked in an “upgradable” sub-class, the same sub-classes that qualify for Asia Miles upgrades

Is economy upgraded to Premium Economy or business for flights with Premium Economy?
It is always a one class upgrade so Economy to Premium Economy, if a flight does not have Premium Economy then the upgrade is to Business.

Are the sub-classes for the upgraded bookings A, I, and E (if applicable)?
I don’t know what these subclasses are yet other than that they will be revenue instead of redemption sub-classes. I guess they will be announced later.

What miles will be awarded for a flight upgraded using a upgrade coupon? The original ticket class, or the upgraded class?
I understand that both points and miles will be credited based on the upgraded class.

Green Re-Qualification
For Green members, if their membership year ends before 15 April 2016, like now, their membership will automatically be renewed. If their membership ends after 15 April and they have ANY club points at that time, they will be automatically renewed for another year (even if they are below 100 pts). If their membership ends after 15 April and they have no club points at that time, they will lose their Green membership or have the option of paying the US$100 fee to renew.
Print Wikipost

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2016, 5:45 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by GE90-115B
All passengers flying in F or J are entitled to receive a "join MPC for free" application form during the flight, regardless of whether they straight up paid for the seat, redeemed it with points, or got op-upped. I've seen flight attendants proactively distributing this form throughout the cabin.

For folks traveling in F and J who are already MPC members, they could still take this form and give it to friends or relatives who currently have no status with CX. And all that has to be done is fill in the application form, scan it and email it back to CX; and boom, they will see themselves becoming an MPC member very soon, no questions asked. This is a backdoor that allows people to get MPC membership without actually paying for the application fee. But I'm not sure if that form could still be as easily attained nowadays, especially after the MPC revamp.

It is with KA, all J pax could join MPC for free, at the check in counter. However, they check in agent wouldn't ask every single pax to join. However I'm not sure if this still applies after 15th April.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 8:10 pm

Programs: QF WP
Down at the other end, it looks like I'm about to lose my Green membership.

Just received an email titled "Fly to renew your Marco Polo membership", and that "at the moment you do not qualify for Green membership for the coming year."

Although it's making an offer where if I earn any club points, I can maintain GR for another year, waiving the normal 100 points requirement. Alternatively, pay them $100 USD.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 9:09 pm

Programs: JL Diamond, CX Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Ausriver
It is with KA, all J pax could join MPC for free, at the check in counter. However, they check in agent wouldn't ask every single pax to join. However I'm not sure if this still applies after 15th April.
Eh? even when I am travelling with Award tickets?
Old Jun 13, 2016, 9:45 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by AmD950
Moof. Maybe I should try entering my BA number on my CX award tix at then end of this month, then ask for MPO form onboard...
Old Jun 14, 2016, 2:56 pm

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
When a Gold is on his way to renewing Gold, and hits mid-tier thresholds, will he automatically get one, then another two upon making 200 and 450 club points respectively? In other words, will I automatically get three lounge passes each year, supposing I keep renewing Gold???

Or, are the thresholds set at the higher mid-tier number (i.e., 800) since I'm on Gold status?

Can I use this pass when not traveling on CX?

Last edited by hikouki; Jun 14, 2016 at 3:02 pm
Old Jun 14, 2016, 3:22 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by hikouki
When a Gold is on his way to renewing Gold, and hits mid-tier thresholds, will he automatically get one, then another two upon making 200 and 450 club points respectively? In other words, will I automatically get three lounge passes each year, supposing I keep renewing Gold???

Or, are the thresholds set at the higher mid-tier number (i.e., 800) since I'm on Gold status?

Can I use this pass when not traveling on CX?
I believe AgencyGuy clarified that some time ago, but hope someone else can verify. Mid-tier benefits will not apply when a member is working towards renewal.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 6:46 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Find members only get gold mid tier benefits. They don't get the silver benefits s well.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 2:05 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by AmD950
I have overheard that invitation several times when checking at KA J counter in China, and later got confirmed by a friend who works for KA, but that was like 3 years ago. But back then, MPC is listed for $50 and valid for lifetime.

Not sure about award J though. It would make more sense to offer $50 off to join MPC to paid J pax.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 2:27 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Ausriver
Not sure about award J though. It would make more sense to offer $50 off to join MPC to paid J pax.
Totally agree, it makes sense to offer it to paid J pax. Admittedly though, I have never once seen this invite happen, out of far too many flights to count, similar to carmy above. Granted I'm not specifically looking out for it, but out of literally hundreds upon hundreds of flights if it was a really common occurrence, I would've expected to seen it happen at least once.

My guess is, at least on board, the free invite is not as common as these threads made it seem.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 11:23 am

Programs: QF CX
Im at 1190 club points with an anniversary date of 1st July.
Just got an email:

We hope you enjoyed your membership over the past year. As you may know, we moved to a new club points system on 15 April 2016 – and at this moment, you still need more club points to retain your current status.

However, in recognition of your continued support and to help you transition to the new programme, we are pleased to renew your status for another 12 months beginning 1 July 2016. You should receive a new membership kit 4–6 weeks from renewal, so you can continue to enjoy the exclusive benefits and privileges of your tier status.

My plan was to call and ask for a 30 day extension so my status would be good till Aug 1st 2017. They beat me to it!
I didn't know MP did that. ALL my flights were V and M class, so I'm not a big earner for them they type of very freq flyer who they obviously have no intention of keeping DM under the new rules. Surprising!
Old Jun 16, 2016, 4:43 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by JoshZT
Im at 1190 club points with an anniversary date of 1st July.
Just got an email:

We hope you enjoyed your membership over the past year. As you may know, we moved to a new club points system on 15 April 2016 – and at this moment, you still need more club points to retain your current status.

However, in recognition of your continued support and to help you transition to the new programme, we are pleased to renew your status for another 12 months beginning 1 July 2016. You should receive a new membership kit 4–6 weeks from renewal, so you can continue to enjoy the exclusive benefits and privileges of your tier status.

My plan was to call and ask for a 30 day extension so my status would be good till Aug 1st 2017. They beat me to it!
I didn't know MP did that. ALL my flights were V and M class, so I'm not a big earner for them they type of very freq flyer who they obviously have no intention of keeping DM under the new rules. Surprising!
Well that's going to annoy a lot of people. Those F lounges are going to full of both "economy diamonds" and newly minted diamonds for another 18 months or so!
Old Jun 16, 2016, 5:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
I think it was always likely that during the first year of the new points system the old 'Economy Diamonds' would renew and are then gradually disposed of once their new year ends rollover in 2017.

During 2016/2017 they will be displaced by an increasing number of 'Nouveau Business Diamonds'.

Then the 'First Diamonds' will have the opportunity to whinge about the lower class 'Business Diamonds', plus the 'Economy Diamonds' who have taken their money elsewhere (like me).
Old Jun 16, 2016, 6:57 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Nicc HK
I think it was always likely that during the first year of the new points system the old 'Economy Diamonds' would renew and are then gradually disposed of once their new year ends rollover in 2017.

During 2016/2017 they will be displaced by an increasing number of 'Nouveau Business Diamonds'.

Then the 'First Diamonds' will have the opportunity to whinge about the lower class 'Business Diamonds', plus the 'Economy Diamonds' who have taken their money elsewhere (like me).
I agree except that on top of those who rightfully renew, CX is gifting renewal for those who don't reach the threshold.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 8:51 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Confirmed I have been downgraded to Asia Miles. Received the AM card last night.

Well, then it gives me no reason at all to fly CX. I guess my next and final flight is to burn the remaining miles that I have.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: QF CX
With only 10 club points missing , id have expected them to make me fly it.
Unless, they REALLY prefer just giving the renewal than selling a V class return to MNL or the like.
As if to say "don't bother with the inevitable V class mileage run, we're gonna loose money on your ticket, so just do us a favor and take the points" haha

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.