Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Related threads:

What are the best value segments under the new system?

Switching out of Marco Polo: What do you choose and why?

FAQs as answered by AgencyGuy:

When will the mid-tier benefits be awarded?
They will be awarded as the member hits the mid-tier milestone. Not at the end of the membership year. These will be valid for a year commencing the day they are granted. No points are deduced when members are awarded these benefits.

Does that mean a member reaching 1800 tier points will get all three mid-tier benefits?
Yes, each benefit will be made available as the member hits the 1400, 1600 and 1800 point milestones

What mid-tier benefits will be awarded as of the conversion date of 15 April 2016?
The mid-tier benefits will kick in automatically after 15th April, if your converted club points balance exceeds the mid-tier thresholds. So for a Diamond tier member, if your converted balance is 1800 points you will immediately have access to two first class lounge guest passes, four bookable upgrades and one companion Gold card.

A Gold member on his/her way to Diamond pick up four short/medium upgrades along the way, but a renewing Diamond gets nothing?
You are correct, Silver, Gold or Diamond members on their way to renewal, don’t get additional benefits until they reach the mid-tier thresholds. But they will get there, I guess the benefits are designed to recognize members who go the extra mile after they have passed their renewal thresholds.

Is there any requirement on the underlying booking sub-classes when using a mid-tier upgrade "coupon"?
Yes, the original flight needs to be booked in an “upgradable” sub-class, the same sub-classes that qualify for Asia Miles upgrades

Is economy upgraded to Premium Economy or business for flights with Premium Economy?
It is always a one class upgrade so Economy to Premium Economy, if a flight does not have Premium Economy then the upgrade is to Business.

Are the sub-classes for the upgraded bookings A, I, and E (if applicable)?
I don’t know what these subclasses are yet other than that they will be revenue instead of redemption sub-classes. I guess they will be announced later.

What miles will be awarded for a flight upgraded using a upgrade coupon? The original ticket class, or the upgraded class?
I understand that both points and miles will be credited based on the upgraded class.

Green Re-Qualification
For Green members, if their membership year ends before 15 April 2016, like now, their membership will automatically be renewed. If their membership ends after 15 April and they have ANY club points at that time, they will be automatically renewed for another year (even if they are below 100 pts). If their membership ends after 15 April and they have no club points at that time, they will lose their Green membership or have the option of paying the US$100 fee to renew.
Print Wikipost

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by jagmeets
My wife, a long time GO with higher CPs (&CX flying this year than the last few) got the survey, as did me, a longtime DM with a slight fall in CX flying / MPC crediting.
I got the survey too (MPC GO last few years). I replied and was pretty brutal on my responses on their mismanagement on oil hedging losses and plan on going for 10-seat per row on Y class.

Recently, I signed up for AAdvantage and am about to join JMB. Easing my way out of MPC...
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: BR Gold, MPC Silver
Got the survey as well...long time GO, recently downgraded to SILVER. I did Status match (Gold to Gold) with BR so I'm moving my business over to them.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: Marco Polo
Got the survey as well. I was actually surprised because I am only a SL and will barely retain my status next year (flying Y/PEY and heavily discriminated against). The same brutal honesty in my response as other posters. There are just way too many choices for Europe-Asia route.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 4:27 am

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Originally Posted by Nicc HK
My company does a lot of Statistical Analysis and surveys for capital markets. Without having seen the survey in question, it was not sent to me, and nor has CX/MPC once asked me my opinions before or after the change, here is what I would have considered asking members in a post implementation survey (please bear in mind this is without access to the data MPC has which would impact the questions asked):

<snip>

The answers to the above questions can be directly verified against booking/membership data for a proper impact analysis. It would also probably require a minimum of 4 x 6 monthly surveys to ascertain the overall trend. I would send to ALL MPC members on the list as at 16/4/2016, nobody joining afterwards.

My point is that I believe CX did do due diligence but their sample universe did not seem to include significant sections of their MPC, especially the ones likely to be most sensitive to changes, PEY/Y DMs (or sadly ex-DM like me) and Golds.

I would argue that the sample universe MPC selected was deliberate. CX’s strategy was worked out in advance (i.e. a cull of the PEY/Y members) and this latest survey is all about meeting the remaining MPC members’ expectations post-changes.

The changes have happened, no going back, but tweaks going forward, as CX works towards its preferred MPC elite membership profile.

Why bother asking these questions to customers at all? I would have used email coms as a way to ask questions which cannot be obtained by other means; such as, list in order, which of these 20 benefits do you value the most to least.

Back to the survey. Between actual past/upcoming flight data, search history and other peripheral data points on users, it's entirely possible to obtain this data *and more* with greater accuracy than surveys provide!

Heck, with a little more effort it's even possible to know exactly how much a user is flying another airline: https://www.traveldatadaily.com/360-...mer-view-data/

One of CX major competitors uses basic machine learning algorithms and can predict when you are most likely to book a revenue ticket with >80% fit. Even better, they can also predict when you are likely to book an award flight. This intelligence could easily be overlayed onto past flight data to understand if a MPO member would have booked a CX flight.

To highlight my point - my company did cognitive text sentiment analysis of every post on flyertalk. From this analysis, it's possible to understand what status people hold both with CX and other FFPs, the users general attitude towards CX (and other airlines) over time. With more investigation, this data could show which MPO members are at most risk of churning to other FFPs, and also monitor other FFPs for unhappy members who are considering MPO/AM, and the CX team could shoot them an automated offer etc..

Nicc HK, for fun, here's what analysis on your posts looks like (under 0.50 = negative sentiment, over 0.51 = positive). From this, I can predict all sorts of useful information, including how influential over other FT members you are (using centrality networks/weighted NN based on quote/replies), if program changes had an impact on your views, potential spend, status levels and much much much more.

Now imagine how powerful this intel would be when overlayed against actual CX data...

Surveys should be used to capture unstructured and creative input. Not transactional info which can be obtained elsewhere with greater accuracy.

Come on CX! ... It's Time To Win
Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:05 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Surveys should be used to capture unstructured and creative input. Not transactional info which can be obtained elsewhere with greater accuracy.
100% spot on, and in all the surveys we do this is the key output, and provides a lot more decision making value than the statistical data, however, the clients like figures. But the only way to do surveys properly for the best results is one on one, which naturally restricts the potential universe of respondents.

With regard to the survey in question it depends what the intention is. I was looking at in terms to assess whether the models and assumptions that CX went into making the changes were validated by the subsequent change in MPC members flying patterns, hence the questions I put forward. If I was doing such a survey it would be have far more than those few questions.

Really liked the graph, I have seen some interesting and very advanced stuff from Google Analytics and others regarding predictive behaviour.

I would say in sentiment terms the grah you produced for me looks quite accurate, though the recent uptick is probably incorrect. I have given up on CX as a programme and virtually stopped flying them other than codeshare connections and redemptions. So my posts are probably not as critical because I have moved on.

Indeed my interest in this forum is because through lots of AMEX Credit card points, and HK being my home and I fly way too much, there is a lot of value in what other say here. Do they listen to me? In terms of responses probably not much!

Kung Hei Fat Choy!
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Not trying to provoke anyone, but I'm more or less happy with flying CX on MPC at the moment.

It really seems like the lounges are a bit less crowded and even the "status" boarding queues with the exception of HKG - PVG/SHA/PEK where everyone seems to have a MPC tier card.

Was just upgraded on my last CX flight so that might have to do with my upswing mood as well.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
I'm not as happy on my return as Cathay DM with them. Yes the unpublished benefits are nice. But, most of the same benefits are offered published by other airlines, and then some. Crew service to DMs are a little better, but far from the 90s and turn-of-the-century level that I have come to expect.

Don't get me started on lines. Many outports still cramp F/DM/C/GO/SL/GR together, and most secondary Chinese outports don't even enforce the lines and just let anyone through.

Lounge - depends where you are. F lounges seen ok. The few times when I was dropped to GO earlier and had to use C lounges, it seems as full as ever.

Onboard dining - paying $15,000 RMB to fly full-J round trip HKG-PEK and then get offered horrid selections? NOT ACCEPTABLE.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 3:37 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by sxc
I heard a rumour on the weekend from someone who works in one of CX's agencies that there are going to be some improvements in benefits to Diamonds coming along. I have no other details aside from that. So put this in the highly speculative bucket.

Whether they are true improvements or "enhancements" remains to be seen.
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
I will second the moderator's point. I have just received a call from someone claiming to be from MPO management (withheld her name for privacy reasons), and asking me to fly F/C class more often with Cathay because there will be new and exciting benefits coming to Diamond tier very soon. She extended my account 3 months to make up the points I needed to retain Diamond (I stopped at 800 points when I've decided to give up on Diamond and just go with AA EXP instead).

She couldn't tell me the benefits as I, like everyone else, needed to wait for the official announcement. But she claims I will not regret it. I can easily make up that 400 points in 2 months time but I shall wait and see this "unregretable enhancement" first. I am not holding my breath. The only way Cathay can win me back is to offer the following benefits: bonus tier miles, use Cathay C lounge regardless of airline flying (now that Pier C is amazing), and some kind of lifetime accumulation. I am still very upset to be a Diamond for 15+ years and Cathay has no problem demoting me as soon as it's able.
Seems like none of this eventuated....
Old Mar 16, 2017, 4:46 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by sxc
Seems like none of this eventuated....
Why am I not surprised (though I'm not even close to GO)
Old Mar 22, 2017, 2:40 am

I've written an email to her, and no response. Go figure....
Old Mar 22, 2017, 3:02 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
I've written an email to her, and no response. Go figure....
can you let us know if you hear anything?
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Maybe it's special by hand handling of members checked bag if the members are using Rimowa?
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288
can you let us know if you hear anything?
Sure, if I ever get one I will sure to post it here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.