Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Related threads:

What are the best value segments under the new system?

Switching out of Marco Polo: What do you choose and why?

FAQs as answered by AgencyGuy:

When will the mid-tier benefits be awarded?
They will be awarded as the member hits the mid-tier milestone. Not at the end of the membership year. These will be valid for a year commencing the day they are granted. No points are deduced when members are awarded these benefits.

Does that mean a member reaching 1800 tier points will get all three mid-tier benefits?
Yes, each benefit will be made available as the member hits the 1400, 1600 and 1800 point milestones

What mid-tier benefits will be awarded as of the conversion date of 15 April 2016?
The mid-tier benefits will kick in automatically after 15th April, if your converted club points balance exceeds the mid-tier thresholds. So for a Diamond tier member, if your converted balance is 1800 points you will immediately have access to two first class lounge guest passes, four bookable upgrades and one companion Gold card.

A Gold member on his/her way to Diamond pick up four short/medium upgrades along the way, but a renewing Diamond gets nothing?
You are correct, Silver, Gold or Diamond members on their way to renewal, don’t get additional benefits until they reach the mid-tier thresholds. But they will get there, I guess the benefits are designed to recognize members who go the extra mile after they have passed their renewal thresholds.

Is there any requirement on the underlying booking sub-classes when using a mid-tier upgrade "coupon"?
Yes, the original flight needs to be booked in an “upgradable” sub-class, the same sub-classes that qualify for Asia Miles upgrades

Is economy upgraded to Premium Economy or business for flights with Premium Economy?
It is always a one class upgrade so Economy to Premium Economy, if a flight does not have Premium Economy then the upgrade is to Business.

Are the sub-classes for the upgraded bookings A, I, and E (if applicable)?
I don’t know what these subclasses are yet other than that they will be revenue instead of redemption sub-classes. I guess they will be announced later.

What miles will be awarded for a flight upgraded using a upgrade coupon? The original ticket class, or the upgraded class?
I understand that both points and miles will be credited based on the upgraded class.

Green Re-Qualification
For Green members, if their membership year ends before 15 April 2016, like now, their membership will automatically be renewed. If their membership ends after 15 April and they have ANY club points at that time, they will be automatically renewed for another year (even if they are below 100 pts). If their membership ends after 15 April and they have no club points at that time, they will lose their Green membership or have the option of paying the US$100 fee to renew.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2015, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A handful of shiny cards

Just found this on twitter. Doesn't look all bad actually, but YMMV.

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H....html?switch=Y
Old Sep 29, 2015, 7:20 pm

Programs: Asiamiles
Cathay has put new MPC scheme on its website

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_.../overview.html

There you go...

New ways to earn

Under the new points-based system, you will be able to earn faster in premium classes, and with more eligible fare classes on Cathay Pacific and Dragonair than before. This is a more balanced approach towards rewarding members across all club tiers. You will continue to earn and redeem Asia Miles as you do today. Learn how the new system will work and how your club points will be calculated here:

Last edited by cxfan1960; Sep 29, 2015 at 7:44 pm Reason: Merged by mod into existing thread.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 7:22 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
It went more BA-style than UA/DL-style...I guess good for those travelling extensively in premium classes; but just seems to me that SL will be much harder to qualify now. I'm glad I jumped from BA to AA instead of CX (now, just a matter of time before AA's changes hit...)
Old Sep 29, 2015, 7:31 pm

Important Developments at the Marco Polo Club

Hi there,

Earlier this year there was a lot of great debate and feedback here on possible changes to the Marco Polo Club. Cathay Pacific is announcing to its members some important developments to the club and I’d like to take this opportunity to update everyone and share some insights.

Points Based Earning
The club will move away from miles and sectors to a points based earning model. The points earned will be based on class travelled, sub-class and zoned distance travelled. The new points earning table can be found here.

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...ng-points.html

The first thing you will notice that the points earned will be proportionally higher for front end travel than in Economy class. While better recognition of the value of front end travel was something that was debated here, economy class travel is being more widely recognized with the addition of some previously excluded sub-classes.

There are no changes to the tiers themselves, but obviously achieving each tier will be based on an annual points threshold rather than miles or sectors. These are:

• Green - 100 points
  • Silver - 300 points
  • Gold - 600 points
  • Diamond - 1,200 points

Recognizing the large numbers of current Green members and the impact that sometimes has on areas like priority boarding, the renewal criteria for Green tier will be set at 100 points or an annual renewal fee of US$100.

Asia Miles earning and redemption will not be impacted by these changes, they continue to be based on the existing mileage model.

Mid-Tier Benefits
The club is introducing an interesting new concept of mid-tier benefits. As members reach milestones along their membership year, they will accrue additional benefits which recognize and reward their performance. These benefits include:

• One Business Class lounge pass at 200 points for Green members
  • Two Business Class lounge guest passes at 450 points for Silver members
  • Two Business Class lounge guest passes at 800 points for Gold members
  • Four bookable upgrades for regional sectors at 1,000 points for Gold members
  • Two First Class lounge guest passes at 1,400 points for Diamond members
  • Four bookable upgrades for any sectors at 1,600 points for Diamond members
  • One companion Gold card at 1,800 points for Diamond members

Additional New Benefits
Membership Holidays – will allow members who need to take time out from travel to park their current membership status for up to one year, to study or say if they get sick, and then resume the same status when they re-start their travel.

Age Qualification – The current membership age qualification will be reduced from age of 18 to 12. This reflects both the fact that over 12’s pay full adult fares, are increasingly travelling more frequently and the desire to offer greater family recognition.

Changes to Existing Benefits
While the club is keeping all of its existing benefits, there will be some changes:

• Guaranteed seat reservations will be tweaked so that in Economy class they can only be booked in Y sub-class, in Premium Economy in W sub-class and in Business Class only in J sub-class
  • Diamond members will now need to travel on CX, KA or oneworld airlines to access lounges

Why Change?
There has been a lot of fantastic debate on this forum over the weeks and months and a lot of the business rational for this has been thoroughly aired. Some of the key drivers for these changes include:

• The points structure does more accurately reflect members’ revenue contribution and is part of a growing trend occurring across the airline industry
  • New benefits address some of the feedback and requests from members over the years
  • The changes look to make the club more family friendly and more flexible to individual member needs

Timing and Transition
All of these changes take effect on 15th April 2016. At that time miles and sector balances will be converted to the new points balances, ensuring no one loses out and everyone will continue to the end of their individual membership year.

All Green members will be automatically renewed for another year provided they have accumulated any club points when converted. Moving forward, annual re-qualification will be 100 points or US$100.

All travel before 15th April will earn miles / sectors and on or after the 15th April will accrue the new tier points and everyone will re-qualify based on the new points thresholds above.

In Closing and Support
As with any changes, some of these will be popular with members, some perhaps less so with some members. I am looking forward to reading your comments and feedback in the days and weeks to come. For any specific questions about these changes, CX have set up a dedicated hotline: +852 2683 6788 / +800 2683 6788 and an email support address: [email protected].

Full details of the changes and support tools such as a club points calculator can be found here:

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...polo-club.html

Best Wishes
AgencyGuy
Old Sep 29, 2015, 7:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: QFF SG, VA SL, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
looks like the QF approach for zone based points with the emphasis on driving pax to choose CX flights and penalise those who fly with OW partners.

the upgrades are nice but probably just formalise what many experienced before with op-ups (although now fairer and guaranteed).

loss of guaranteed economy class discount fare buckets is a big blow to the value of gold.

Last edited by yohy?!; Sep 29, 2015 at 7:46 pm
Old Sep 29, 2015, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A handful of shiny cards
Unless my travels change, in the foreseeable future I'll permanently stay SL after this qualifying year. But it's not as bad as it could have been.

I've calculated for the flights I'm doing this year to regain GO, I'll only get 410 Club points. It's a bit disappointing but for someone who's been relegated to the back of the aircraft on cheaper tickets for now, I'd prefer this than losing my status altogether. Which is what could have happened had CX gone to premium class revenue based as had been speculated about here earlier.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 7:42 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by windchaser777
Just found this on twitter. Doesn't look all bad actually, but YMMV.

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H....html?switch=Y
Bad! Seat guarantee will only be for J, W, and Y only.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 7:49 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by AgencyGuy
Timing and Transition
All of these changes take effect on 15th April 2016. At that time miles and sector balances will be converted to the new points balances, ensuring no one loses out and everyone will continue to the end of their individual membership year.

All Green members will be automatically renewed for another year provided they have accumulated any club points when converted. Moving forward, annual re-qualification will be 100 points or US$100.

All travel before 15th April will earn miles / sectors and on or after the 15th April will accrue the new tier points and everyone will re-qualify based on the new points thresholds above.
So if you want to re-qualify for another year, you need to do it before the April 15th transition?
Old Sep 29, 2015, 7:52 pm

Here's a brief summary of what I've noticed so far:

1.) No more being able to attain silver by flying an HKG-YYZ/ORD/JFK round trip 2x annually by flying Y (big bummer!)
2.) Expect to pay HKD$2-3k more if you want to earn 100% club points flying in Y for intra-Asia routes (ie Japan)
3.) **Positive Change** Mileage runs will probably be cheaper now since S, N and Q classes can now accumulate points towards status.

I'll let others do the more in-dept analysis.

I'm also glad that MPC did not comprimise any major benefits with tiers like that 4x lounge voucher per year BS...
Old Sep 29, 2015, 7:56 pm
swy

Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril
Seems weird to me that S, N, and Q classes on CX earn so little, much less than the cheapest fares on AA and JL, or example.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 7:59 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
For those Diamonds who were hoping this was going to reduce lounge crowding, the opposite will occur. Previously it would take around 10-11 round-trip business class trips to London to reach Diamond (a typical Diamond trip). Now in D/I class, it will only take around 6-7 trips.

So there are going to be many more Diamonds around moving crowds from the J lounge to the F lounge.

Diamonds won't feel so special anymore.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 8:01 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
This might sound stupid, but "per flight" means per sector right? so a RT MNL-PVG via HKG on I-class would be about 80 points?

Old Sep 29, 2015, 8:02 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
One more thing, I noticed that the SWU-like upgrades for GO will not be 'systemwide' but just for short/medium-haul
Old Sep 29, 2015, 8:02 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kesler.go
This might sound stupid, but "per flight" means per sector right? so a RT MNL-PVG via HKG on I-class would be about 80 points?
Yup I pretty much think so. So they're encouraging ex-XXX activity...
Old Sep 29, 2015, 8:10 pm

Programs: CX Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Bad! Seat guarantee will only be for J, W, and Y only.
+1. Very bad. Virtually removing the seat guarantee benefit.

And the 'new benefits' are a joke - a 'membership holiday' during which one cannot enjoy the club benefits? And lowering age qualification is even branded as a 'benefit'? Seems CX people really can't find any positive things to promote!

As for the mid-tier benefits, lounge passes for GO and DM are only useful when you have a large travelling group. Bookable upgrades may be useful but let's see what the priority will be. Anyway, most of those getting enough points for bookable upgrades would have probably been DM in the old system when they often enjoy op-ups.

What a huge devaluation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.