Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Related threads:

What are the best value segments under the new system?

Switching out of Marco Polo: What do you choose and why?

FAQs as answered by AgencyGuy:

When will the mid-tier benefits be awarded?
They will be awarded as the member hits the mid-tier milestone. Not at the end of the membership year. These will be valid for a year commencing the day they are granted. No points are deduced when members are awarded these benefits.

Does that mean a member reaching 1800 tier points will get all three mid-tier benefits?
Yes, each benefit will be made available as the member hits the 1400, 1600 and 1800 point milestones

What mid-tier benefits will be awarded as of the conversion date of 15 April 2016?
The mid-tier benefits will kick in automatically after 15th April, if your converted club points balance exceeds the mid-tier thresholds. So for a Diamond tier member, if your converted balance is 1800 points you will immediately have access to two first class lounge guest passes, four bookable upgrades and one companion Gold card.

A Gold member on his/her way to Diamond pick up four short/medium upgrades along the way, but a renewing Diamond gets nothing?
You are correct, Silver, Gold or Diamond members on their way to renewal, don’t get additional benefits until they reach the mid-tier thresholds. But they will get there, I guess the benefits are designed to recognize members who go the extra mile after they have passed their renewal thresholds.

Is there any requirement on the underlying booking sub-classes when using a mid-tier upgrade "coupon"?
Yes, the original flight needs to be booked in an “upgradable” sub-class, the same sub-classes that qualify for Asia Miles upgrades

Is economy upgraded to Premium Economy or business for flights with Premium Economy?
It is always a one class upgrade so Economy to Premium Economy, if a flight does not have Premium Economy then the upgrade is to Business.

Are the sub-classes for the upgraded bookings A, I, and E (if applicable)?
I don’t know what these subclasses are yet other than that they will be revenue instead of redemption sub-classes. I guess they will be announced later.

What miles will be awarded for a flight upgraded using a upgrade coupon? The original ticket class, or the upgraded class?
I understand that both points and miles will be credited based on the upgraded class.

Green Re-Qualification
For Green members, if their membership year ends before 15 April 2016, like now, their membership will automatically be renewed. If their membership ends after 15 April and they have ANY club points at that time, they will be automatically renewed for another year (even if they are below 100 pts). If their membership ends after 15 April and they have no club points at that time, they will lose their Green membership or have the option of paying the US$100 fee to renew.
Print Wikipost

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2016, 8:31 am

Programs: JL Diamond, CX Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Totally agree, it makes sense to offer it to paid J pax. Admittedly though, I have never once seen this invite happen, out of far too many flights to count, similar to carmy above. Granted I'm not specifically looking out for it, but out of literally hundreds upon hundreds of flights if it was a really common occurrence, I would've expected to seen it happen at least once.

My guess is, at least on board, the free invite is not as common as these threads made it seem.
I have got a few US$50 forms on KA, and the new version of MPC forms (US$100) on CX metal.

So if any of the flyers happen to get $0 forms, please throw me one. Thanks.

Last edited by AmD950; Jun 20, 2016 at 8:58 am
Old Jun 20, 2016, 11:53 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by sxc
I agree except that on top of those who rightfully renew, CX is gifting renewal for those who don't reach the threshold.
Just had a friend tell me they've been renewed for gold without meeting the renewal threshold.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 2:32 am

Programs: AA EXP CXDM, Bonvoy Gold, WOH Globalist, HHonors Diamond, Amex Cent
I am sorry if this has been covered before. My membership year renews the end of this month and I have just been doing a couple of calculations and realized that I will reach the 1600 point milestone on a BA flight on July 30th. I realize that CX will probably not credit this flight until a week after so I am afraid that they won't give me the four upgrades as they will count that flight as being taken in August rather than July. I tried calling MPO and they are clueless what happens as they said this is the first year under the new system.
Any suggestions on what I should do?
Old Jul 4, 2016, 3:26 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by jetsetter1k
I am sorry if this has been covered before. My membership year renews the end of this month and I have just been doing a couple of calculations and realized that I will reach the 1600 point milestone on a BA flight on July 30th. I realize that CX will probably not credit this flight until a week after so I am afraid that they won't give me the four upgrades as they will count that flight as being taken in August rather than July. I tried calling MPO and they are clueless what happens as they said this is the first year under the new system.
Any suggestions on what I should do?
unfortunately, short of booking earlier travel, there's no much you can do now if MPC won't play ball.

Your plan should then be to call and beg afterwards. (and then encourage them to clarify this for the rest of us!)

I think you're on pretty good standing here, the logic makes perfect sense. Just this is going to be new territory for MPC...historically they didn't have to worry too much about this, they would retroactively give SL/GO/DM if you just missed in this manner, especially since the travel happened before the cutoff. Even more typical, people were already enough over or under the threshold that the excess elite miles were effectively "wasted", but it never really mattered because MPC always had the soft policy if you just missed this year, but went over last year with some "wasted" elite miles, then they'd give it to you.

Now that CX is handing out what are effectively cash-equivalent prizes based on additional elite miles above DM and GO, members are (understandably) going to be a bit more paranoid about the crediting dates, particularly since we're talking about folks going over DM and proactively choosing to spend on CX or OW partners in the waning months of an elite year. I think CX would be well off to credit the flight date and not the random crediting date. Especially since some of CX's partners can take significantly longer than CX/KA flights to post, sometimes as long as 2-3 weeks! Nor do I find it predictable...this year alone I've had AA flights credit as fast at 3 days, as long as two weeks. QR I had one post in 2 days, one in a week or so. JL I had a few that were a couple of days, but two which took 3 weeks. I didn't have to call for any of them, that was just the random times it took.

It isn't an unfathomable situation whereby someone flying a OW partner tonight didn't get the miles credited by July 31! While that would be long, it wouldn't surprise me, and boy would that be infuriating if those were the miles to get the upgrades, extra GO card, etc.

If you can explain all that to the helpful MPC agent and send it upstairs that'd be perfect

Last edited by QRC3288; Jul 4, 2016 at 3:33 am
Old Jul 5, 2016, 12:37 am

Programs: AA EXP CXDM, Bonvoy Gold, WOH Globalist, HHonors Diamond, Amex Cent
Originally Posted by QRC3288
unfortunately, short of booking earlier travel, there's no much you can do now if MPC won't play ball.

Your plan should then be to call and beg afterwards. (and then encourage them to clarify this for the rest of us!)

I think you're on pretty good standing here, the logic makes perfect sense. Just this is going to be new territory for MPC...historically they didn't have to worry too much about this, they would retroactively give SL/GO/DM if you just missed in this manner, especially since the travel happened before the cutoff. Even more typical, people were already enough over or under the threshold that the excess elite miles were effectively "wasted", but it never really mattered because MPC always had the soft policy if you just missed this year, but went over last year with some "wasted" elite miles, then they'd give it to you.

Now that CX is handing out what are effectively cash-equivalent prizes based on additional elite miles above DM and GO, members are (understandably) going to be a bit more paranoid about the crediting dates, particularly since we're talking about folks going over DM and proactively choosing to spend on CX or OW partners in the waning months of an elite year. I think CX would be well off to credit the flight date and not the random crediting date. Especially since some of CX's partners can take significantly longer than CX/KA flights to post, sometimes as long as 2-3 weeks! Nor do I find it predictable...this year alone I've had AA flights credit as fast at 3 days, as long as two weeks. QR I had one post in 2 days, one in a week or so. JL I had a few that were a couple of days, but two which took 3 weeks. I didn't have to call for any of them, that was just the random times it took.

It isn't an unfathomable situation whereby someone flying a OW partner tonight didn't get the miles credited by July 31! While that would be long, it wouldn't surprise me, and boy would that be infuriating if those were the miles to get the upgrades, extra GO card, etc.

If you can explain all that to the helpful MPC agent and send it upstairs that'd be perfect
Thanks QRC328. I called again today and asked them to clarify the policy. Apparently, everyone at the call center doesn't know what the policy is so they have elevated my concern to the office. They promised to call me back but honestly don't think I will be hearing back from them.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 12:40 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jetsetter1k
Thanks QRC328. I called again today and asked them to clarify the policy. Apparently, everyone at the call center doesn't know what the policy is so they have elevated my concern to the office. They promised to call me back but honestly don't think I will be hearing back from them.
If the online feedback form is working, try submitting your question via that form. Or fax them at +852 2537 9900 or [email protected]
Old Jul 6, 2016, 10:38 pm

I just got renewed as Gold even though I am 10 points short. Stuck on 590 with my year expiring at the end of this month.

I just emailed the Club and pointed out that (1) I am not far short and (2) I would have reached the renewal target under the old system. I got a response back in a couple of days that they will renew me at the end of the month.

Interestingly I have a flight booked for 3 weeks into August, I thought they might just give me an extra month, they have done that before, but they just renewed me straight off.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 11:58 pm

Automatic renewal despite not having enough miles is probably a tactic to encourage existing members to fly more in the upcoming year. MPC is sort of trying to show us members that they want us to stay with CX, which could eventually entice some to up their flying patterns. I think MPC will be lenient with automatic renewal for folks whose membership year is expiring for the first time since the program revamp.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 1:10 am

Programs: JMB Diamond
Hi, been lurking on this forum for a while. First time posting. I thought I'd add to the data point of MP members who have been granted automatic renewal despite not having enough miles. CX was EXTREMELY generous in my case. I was (am) a gold member with membership period resetting 30 June. Going into the last week of June I was at least 100 points short of the 600 points required to renew Gold (I don't remember exactly how many points I was short but it was A LOT). I didn't have any significant business travel planned in July or August that could get me over the threshold so I didn't even call MPC to beg for a renewal extension and simply resigned myself to the fact that I would be bumped down to Silver. So I was surprised when I checked into my account and found that my points had reset and I still had Gold status. Again, MPC did this without any prodding on my part!
Old Jul 9, 2016, 2:07 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
JESUS, Cathay is really stingy with their new system. I had no idea how bad it has become.

Flying two long-haul roundtrips in business class (I) on Qatar, I will net either:

1040 Qantas status credits, 1040/1400 for Platinum or 74% of the way there
1280 British Airways tier points, 1280/1500 for Gold or 85% of the way there
480 Cathay club points, 480/1200 for Diamond or 40% of the way there

This is a no-brainer for oneworld emerald status.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 8:41 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by keitherson
JESUS, Cathay is really stingy with their new system. I had no idea how bad it has become.

Flying two long-haul roundtrips in business class (I) on Qatar, I will net either:

i.e. 3 long haul round trip I class booking can get OWE? Isn't it too easy to get OWE then??
Old Jul 10, 2016, 7:08 pm

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Is it possible to get club points on codeshare flights if I booked them with CX codes? (regardless of whether the operating carrier is a OW member or not, as long as it has a CX flight number).
Old Jul 10, 2016, 8:20 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by hikouki
Is it possible to get club points on codeshare flights if I booked them with CX codes? (regardless of whether the operating carrier is a OW member or not, as long as it has a CX flight number).
nope. this is straight from the T&C and in the wiki!
Old Jul 10, 2016, 8:50 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist

Not sure about which QR long-haul Business class ticket on you checked but a HKG-DOH-CDG earns 7,400 points and 120 status credits on QF or 240 for RT, compare that to CX MPO which is at 105 or 210 points for RT.

QF seems to earn more but you need 1400pts to hit OWE status, so thats 17% where as you only need 1200 for CX so that 210pts actually makes about 17.5% toward DM.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 9:09 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Not sure about which QR long-haul Business class ticket on you checked but a HKG-DOH-CDG earns 7,400 points and 120 status credits on QF or 240 for RT, compare that to CX MPO which is at 105 or 210 points for RT.

QF seems to earn more but you need 1400pts to hit OWE status, so thats 17% where as you only need 1200 for CX so that 210pts actually makes about 17.5% toward DM.
Yes I'm not sure which route keitherson is using, but let's try one of the longest routes QR flies: LAX-DOH-ADL

These calculations are based on one return I-class trip on QR:

Code:
CX: 320 pt 28%
BA: 640 pt 43%
QF: 500 pt 35%

Last edited by sxc; Jul 11, 2016 at 12:39 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.