Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Related threads:

What are the best value segments under the new system?

Switching out of Marco Polo: What do you choose and why?

FAQs as answered by AgencyGuy:

When will the mid-tier benefits be awarded?
They will be awarded as the member hits the mid-tier milestone. Not at the end of the membership year. These will be valid for a year commencing the day they are granted. No points are deduced when members are awarded these benefits.

Does that mean a member reaching 1800 tier points will get all three mid-tier benefits?
Yes, each benefit will be made available as the member hits the 1400, 1600 and 1800 point milestones

What mid-tier benefits will be awarded as of the conversion date of 15 April 2016?
The mid-tier benefits will kick in automatically after 15th April, if your converted club points balance exceeds the mid-tier thresholds. So for a Diamond tier member, if your converted balance is 1800 points you will immediately have access to two first class lounge guest passes, four bookable upgrades and one companion Gold card.

A Gold member on his/her way to Diamond pick up four short/medium upgrades along the way, but a renewing Diamond gets nothing?
You are correct, Silver, Gold or Diamond members on their way to renewal, don’t get additional benefits until they reach the mid-tier thresholds. But they will get there, I guess the benefits are designed to recognize members who go the extra mile after they have passed their renewal thresholds.

Is there any requirement on the underlying booking sub-classes when using a mid-tier upgrade "coupon"?
Yes, the original flight needs to be booked in an “upgradable” sub-class, the same sub-classes that qualify for Asia Miles upgrades

Is economy upgraded to Premium Economy or business for flights with Premium Economy?
It is always a one class upgrade so Economy to Premium Economy, if a flight does not have Premium Economy then the upgrade is to Business.

Are the sub-classes for the upgraded bookings A, I, and E (if applicable)?
I don’t know what these subclasses are yet other than that they will be revenue instead of redemption sub-classes. I guess they will be announced later.

What miles will be awarded for a flight upgraded using a upgrade coupon? The original ticket class, or the upgraded class?
I understand that both points and miles will be credited based on the upgraded class.

Green Re-Qualification
For Green members, if their membership year ends before 15 April 2016, like now, their membership will automatically be renewed. If their membership ends after 15 April and they have ANY club points at that time, they will be automatically renewed for another year (even if they are below 100 pts). If their membership ends after 15 April and they have no club points at that time, they will lose their Green membership or have the option of paying the US$100 fee to renew.
Print Wikipost

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2016, 7:30 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by CX HK
Lifetime miles are still being shown... will this just be lifetime asia miles from now on?
I think it is still Club Miles. They may be keeping this for milestone purposes or potential changes in the future.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 7:41 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
I think it is still Club Miles. They may be keeping this for milestone purposes or potential changes in the future.
i wonder how they will value club miles in future now that your "worth" is based on so many different factors now? (Airline, fare class, distance)
Old Apr 18, 2016, 8:04 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Impact of changes in points terms for me since 1 January 2016

I did a quick calculation of the what the impact of the changes for me for my flights and upcoming booked flights since 1 Jan 2016 and compared to AAdvantage for the fare buckets of the tickets I used. This is based upon a small amount of business plus a lot of long haul economy to the US, and completed flying before 31 May 2016, i.e. 5 months.

I have also avoided flying CX for all these flights, though this has added one additional sector for each return trip.
  • CX Old System Earn 74,455 Miles 62% on way to renew Diamond/OWE
  • CX New System(1) Earn 485 Points 40% on way to renew Diamond/OWE
  • CX New System (2) Earn 330 Points 28% on way to renew Diamond/OWE
  • AA New System Earn 78,516 Miles 65% on way to earn EXP/OWE

1 Not flying CX but the airlines I did fly under the new points system.
2. If I had flown CX for the same routes.

As my flying patterns are roughly stable throughout the year, this means:
  1. I would definitely renew on the old system.
  2. Just likely to fall short for diamond under the CX new system (if I do not fly CX).
  3. Might not even get gold if I fly same routes on CX.
  4. Have plenty to spare if I switch to AA.

I just cannot make CX work for me, and on top by flying other airlines I have also reduced my travel spend significantly.

Diamonds and Golds under the old regime, flying PEY and Y, are in for a surprise if they have not done the maths.

Good luck and bon voyage!

Nicc HK
Old Apr 18, 2016, 8:16 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by Nicc HK
I did a quick calculation of the what the impact of the changes for me for my flights and upcoming booked flights since 1 Jan 2016 and compared to AAdvantage for the fare buckets of the tickets I used. This is based upon a small amount of business plus a lot of long haul economy to the US, and completed flying before 31 May 2016, i.e. 5 months.

I have also avoided flying CX for all these flights, though this has added one additional sector for each return trip.

2. Just likely to fall short for diamond under the CX new system (if I do not fly CX).

I just cannot make CX work for me, and on top by flying other airlines I have also reduced my travel spend significantly.

Diamonds and Golds under the old regime, flying PEY and Y, are in for a surprise if they have not done the maths.

Nicc HK
The only thing is AA is switching to revenue based so the question do you think you would still be able to earn after their switch?
Old Apr 18, 2016, 10:27 pm

Programs: AAdvatage Executive Platinum / Cathay Pacific Marco Polo Club - Green
Originally Posted by Nicc HK

Nicc HK
I'm off to the AA programme too.... I'm CX gold.... I cannot maintain it on the new system but may be able to reach AA exec plat (emerald) on the AA programme

Under the new programme BA silver = CX silver in terms of difficulty to achieve
Old Apr 19, 2016, 1:10 am

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by sscywong
I think this would be messy...

I filed a RT HKG-SIN flight claim in C... Today they credited me 1990 asia miles, but zero club points. Yes, ZERO, not even the direct converted points (20 based on miles, 18.75 based on sector), not to say that based on the new system (30 club points)

I believe they have a long long way to get such thing fixed
My missing mileage claims were credited correctly, with the correct Club points as well.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 1:16 am

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by midlevels
My missing mileage claims were credited correctly, with the correct Club points as well.
Same here. Credited with lightning speed.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 2:56 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Green Re-Qualification
For Green members, if their membership year ends before 15 April 2016, like now, their membership will automatically be renewed. If their membership ends after 15 April and they have ANY club points at that time, they will be automatically renewed for another year (even if they are below 100 pts). If their membership ends after 15 April and they have no club points at that time, they will lose their Green membership or have the option of paying the US$100 fee to renew.
what happen if i do not earn 100 points and not paying USD100? Will I be kick out from MPC?
Old Apr 19, 2016, 4:04 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by lingua101
what happen if i do not earn 100 points and not paying USD100? Will I be kick out from MPC?
I expect so.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 5:15 am

You'll be demoted to AM and lose whatever points and mid-tier benefits you have not used, I imagine.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 11:07 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by Psychiatrist
Same here. Credited with lightning speed.
Got it right after a 20 mins call...
Old Apr 19, 2016, 11:33 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by alphaod
You'll be demoted to AM and lose whatever points and mid-tier benefits you have not used, I imagine.
lose the points? then i better used up all my points now

how to rejoin? pay usd 100?
Old Apr 19, 2016, 8:12 pm

lose the points? then i better used up all my points now

how to rejoin? pay usd 100?
I phrased that wrong. You'll likely lose MPO membership, so you'll lose any mid-tier benefits you have earned (like the lounge passes) if you were saving them. But your Asia Mile balanced used for redemption would remain.

So just pay to rejoin. I'm sure there will be way to get it for free.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 4:29 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
AA EQMS and Revenue based system

Quote Alphaod "The only thing is AA is switching to revenue based so the question do you think you would still be able to earn after their switch?"

This to me is a little unclear so apologies for the delay in replying on this. Plus having to work!

AA changed on 1 January 2016 to status earnt based on EQMs not the mileage. This does not look like changing.

What I think is happening is the revenue based system is about what miles you earn in order to redeem.

The clearest description I could find is below.

For flights in the second half of 2016 and later (exact date to be announced in 2016) booked with American (ticket number beginning “001”) members will earn 5-11x of the dollar price of the base fare plus fuel surcharges based on status:
5 miles/U.S. dollar – AAdvantage member
7 miles/U.S. dollar – Gold
8 miles/U.S. dollar – Platinum
11 miles/U.S. dollar – Executive Platinum

This seems to mean status is based on class and fare bucket with a multiplier to give an EQM.
Mileage available for redemption will be based on a multiplier of miles times your AA Status value.

The old CX FF programme was wonderfully transparent, though even then hard to achieve status.

US Airlines FF programmes are seemingly the love child of a LSD inspired impressionist painting and a byzantine political machination.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 2:05 am

Missing miles pre 15 April are being credited based on the new system. I just got credited missing business class flights from earlier in the year on the new calculations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.