Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Related threads:

What are the best value segments under the new system?

Switching out of Marco Polo: What do you choose and why?

FAQs as answered by AgencyGuy:

When will the mid-tier benefits be awarded?
They will be awarded as the member hits the mid-tier milestone. Not at the end of the membership year. These will be valid for a year commencing the day they are granted. No points are deduced when members are awarded these benefits.

Does that mean a member reaching 1800 tier points will get all three mid-tier benefits?
Yes, each benefit will be made available as the member hits the 1400, 1600 and 1800 point milestones

What mid-tier benefits will be awarded as of the conversion date of 15 April 2016?
The mid-tier benefits will kick in automatically after 15th April, if your converted club points balance exceeds the mid-tier thresholds. So for a Diamond tier member, if your converted balance is 1800 points you will immediately have access to two first class lounge guest passes, four bookable upgrades and one companion Gold card.

A Gold member on his/her way to Diamond pick up four short/medium upgrades along the way, but a renewing Diamond gets nothing?
You are correct, Silver, Gold or Diamond members on their way to renewal, don’t get additional benefits until they reach the mid-tier thresholds. But they will get there, I guess the benefits are designed to recognize members who go the extra mile after they have passed their renewal thresholds.

Is there any requirement on the underlying booking sub-classes when using a mid-tier upgrade "coupon"?
Yes, the original flight needs to be booked in an “upgradable” sub-class, the same sub-classes that qualify for Asia Miles upgrades

Is economy upgraded to Premium Economy or business for flights with Premium Economy?
It is always a one class upgrade so Economy to Premium Economy, if a flight does not have Premium Economy then the upgrade is to Business.

Are the sub-classes for the upgraded bookings A, I, and E (if applicable)?
I don’t know what these subclasses are yet other than that they will be revenue instead of redemption sub-classes. I guess they will be announced later.

What miles will be awarded for a flight upgraded using a upgrade coupon? The original ticket class, or the upgraded class?
I understand that both points and miles will be credited based on the upgraded class.

Green Re-Qualification
For Green members, if their membership year ends before 15 April 2016, like now, their membership will automatically be renewed. If their membership ends after 15 April and they have ANY club points at that time, they will be automatically renewed for another year (even if they are below 100 pts). If their membership ends after 15 April and they have no club points at that time, they will lose their Green membership or have the option of paying the US$100 fee to renew.
Print Wikipost

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2016, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by bluebird3000
Missing miles pre 15 April are being credited based on the new system. I just got credited missing business class flights from earlier in the year on the new calculations.
Yes, same here. All of my business class flights on Japan Airlines taken pre-15.Apr have credited correctly under the new Club Points system. That would have been 9 x 1.25 sectors under the old system; 11.25 / 80 sectors = 14% to reach Diamond. Under the new system, it is 385 / 1200 Club Points = 32% to reach Diamond. Much better off!

I had submitted the retroactive claims on 20.Apr, and all credited today 25.Apr.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 11:23 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Just to report - Flights I took between 12-14APR were credited based on the new scheme as they were posted on 15APR or after. I called the MPO Beijing line telling them it's unfair, as the new scheme should only apply to flights taken post-15APR. A supervisor called back saying they are now aware of the issue and would call me back again before 01MAY but refused to promise that the adjustment will be made.
It has been fixed and adjustment credited.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 9:31 pm

It says "Upon renewal, upgrade or downgrade, your club points will automatically be reset to zero and a new membership year begins."

Was this always the case, also when miles earned were the determining currency?

40 tier points vanished into thin air because of this, which do make a difference for me. I am not complaning, as it is clearly stated. Just wondering if my memory fails me and it was in fact always handled like this...
Old Apr 28, 2016, 9:52 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by gpia
It says "Upon renewal, upgrade or downgrade, your club points will automatically be reset to zero and a new membership year begins."

Was this always the case, also when miles earned were the determining currency?

40 tier points vanished into thin air because of this, which do make a difference for me. I am not complaning, as it is clearly stated. Just wondering if my memory fails me and it was in fact always handled like this...
Yes it has always been like this. Sorry to hear this happened to you. It's why sometimes you need to withhold entering your FF number in the booking, and instead crediting the flight retroactively. I'm surprised that CX didn't close this loophole as part of the changes and make the crediting date based on the date of your flight instead of when it physically hit your account.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
Yes it has always been like this. Sorry to hear this happened to you. It's why sometimes you need to withhold entering your FF number in the booking, and instead crediting the flight retroactively. I'm surprised that CX didn't close this loophole as part of the changes and make the crediting date based on the date of your flight instead of when it physically hit your account.
Thanks, I must be getting older

It wouldn't have made a difference in my case though:

15 April: converted to new scheme at 585 points
17 April: Took flight worth 55 points
19 April: Upgraded to GO, but starting at 0

Guess I should have squeezed in a 15 point MR...
Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:18 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by gpia
19 April: Upgraded to GO, but starting at 0.
Now you have 12 months to get 1200 points
Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:29 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
It's normal. When you get to DM it will reset again before you can renew that.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 1:11 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by sxc
Dear Mod,

Shhhh please !
Old Apr 29, 2016, 6:44 am

I actually want them to just post on time. One of the things I found amazing was once I was off the plane on CA, I would get a text that my account has been credited.
Old May 3, 2016, 3:53 am

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
What is worse than your flight not being credited to the MPC account? ...not having any account to credit it to!

I enrolled my parents and two brothers to the MPC a good month prior to our trip. I never got any confirmation email, but my credit card had been deducted the membership fee. I even called the MPC one week later and said the accounts are under process.

We check in and the staff said the luggage tags should be on its way.

On the second leg, the BPs show only the AM #s. I called the MPC and they said my parents and one brother DO NOT have a MPC account!!!! She went on to lecture me about setting up an account WAY before any flight.

I pointed out the above and said my CC statement shows $50 x4 deducted 5 weeks prior to the flight.

She just gave me a reply, "Oh, ok we will note that down. Bye."

Old May 8, 2016, 10:52 am

Can anyone comment on how "Lifetime Miles" are now being calculated? Are they now simply Asia Miles, given that Club Miles no longer exist?
Old May 8, 2016, 8:37 pm

Lifetime Miles

Hi CX HK

The Lifetime Miles are the miles flown since you joined. Since the cutover to the new club points crediting approach, these will be the actual miles flown without any class bonus. They’ve kept it in as they know it’s something people like to track and it gives a feel for how far they have flow with the club over the years.

Best Regards
Old May 8, 2016, 9:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
On Oneworld or just on CX?
Old May 9, 2016, 11:11 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Thanks Agency Guy. While I'm firmly on the camp that cares to know how much I've flown with CX, the alliance/CX question above as well as the difference in accrual methodology on CoS bonus post cut-over, makes the lifetime miles calculations a bit pointless..
Old May 9, 2016, 2:58 pm

Still not sure the point of lifetime mileage since they don't offer lifetime benefits nor rewards...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.