Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Related threads:

What are the best value segments under the new system?

Switching out of Marco Polo: What do you choose and why?

FAQs as answered by AgencyGuy:

When will the mid-tier benefits be awarded?
They will be awarded as the member hits the mid-tier milestone. Not at the end of the membership year. These will be valid for a year commencing the day they are granted. No points are deduced when members are awarded these benefits.

Does that mean a member reaching 1800 tier points will get all three mid-tier benefits?
Yes, each benefit will be made available as the member hits the 1400, 1600 and 1800 point milestones

What mid-tier benefits will be awarded as of the conversion date of 15 April 2016?
The mid-tier benefits will kick in automatically after 15th April, if your converted club points balance exceeds the mid-tier thresholds. So for a Diamond tier member, if your converted balance is 1800 points you will immediately have access to two first class lounge guest passes, four bookable upgrades and one companion Gold card.

A Gold member on his/her way to Diamond pick up four short/medium upgrades along the way, but a renewing Diamond gets nothing?
You are correct, Silver, Gold or Diamond members on their way to renewal, don’t get additional benefits until they reach the mid-tier thresholds. But they will get there, I guess the benefits are designed to recognize members who go the extra mile after they have passed their renewal thresholds.

Is there any requirement on the underlying booking sub-classes when using a mid-tier upgrade "coupon"?
Yes, the original flight needs to be booked in an “upgradable” sub-class, the same sub-classes that qualify for Asia Miles upgrades

Is economy upgraded to Premium Economy or business for flights with Premium Economy?
It is always a one class upgrade so Economy to Premium Economy, if a flight does not have Premium Economy then the upgrade is to Business.

Are the sub-classes for the upgraded bookings A, I, and E (if applicable)?
I don’t know what these subclasses are yet other than that they will be revenue instead of redemption sub-classes. I guess they will be announced later.

What miles will be awarded for a flight upgraded using a upgrade coupon? The original ticket class, or the upgraded class?
I understand that both points and miles will be credited based on the upgraded class.

Green Re-Qualification
For Green members, if their membership year ends before 15 April 2016, like now, their membership will automatically be renewed. If their membership ends after 15 April and they have ANY club points at that time, they will be automatically renewed for another year (even if they are below 100 pts). If their membership ends after 15 April and they have no club points at that time, they will lose their Green membership or have the option of paying the US$100 fee to renew.
Print Wikipost

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2016, 9:33 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Mafai
Same here, made a bunch of bookings today. Going to miss the guarantee seat the most too. Farewell, you're gonna be missed.

Don't think there's a limit to amount you can hold. I've held different bookings with same flights and they never cancelled me.

thats good to know, I wouldn't mind paying up to M class then I might consider E class.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 10:18 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Yeah I'm going to miss V fare guarantees and cheap 100% earn rates.

Saved me so much money going from GR to DM in less than year. Before I was at the mercy of paying more or bad schedules. Then it was whatever schedule I wanted.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 12:10 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by alphaod
Then it was whatever schedule I wanted.
that was the value of the 24 hour V fares. Reasonably-priced tickets with a schedule whenever we wanted. I used them all the time to fly around regionally.

Full Y fare "guaranteed" is just kinda pointless, IME. I have never been in a position where I can't find a ticket last minute if I'm willing to pay the freight for full fare Y. Something on CX or another carrier is likely to be available at that price point. A possible exception could perhaps be holiday periods like CNY, but I generally don't fly then.

I remember years ago, I needed to do a dinner in TPE and didn't find out until same-day morning. IIRC, CX would only sell me some outrageously priced Y ticket that afternoon, sometime like 7k HKD round-trip. I don't remember the exact price, but I remember our secretary being amazed to find a business class class ticket on Eva for cheaper than CX's full Y fare. That was the first time I took BR. Our company almost exclusively flew CX and KA at that point, and that was eye opening.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 12:38 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by QRC3288
that was the value of the 24 hour V fares. Reasonably-priced tickets with a schedule whenever we wanted. I used them all the time to fly around regionally.

Full Y fare "guaranteed" is just kinda pointless, IME. I have never been in a position where I can't find a ticket last minute if I'm willing to pay the freight for full fare Y. Something on CX or another carrier is likely to be available at that price point. A possible exception could perhaps be holiday periods like CNY, but I generally don't fly then.
CX could've kept the benefit but put in place black-out periods over Christmas, CNY, Easter, etc... Or raised the fare class to say B or H during those periods. Saying that they still offer a seat guarantee but at Y is just intellectually insulting.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 12:57 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by JeCCo
CX could've kept the benefit but put in place black-out periods over Christmas, CNY, Easter, etc... Or raised the fare class to say B or H during those periods. Saying that they still offer a seat guarantee but at Y is just intellectually insulting.
I think CX was the only airline left with a seat guarantee at lower fare classes than Y. As far as I know, other programs with a seat guarantee are BA and QF and they only provide full fare seat guarantees, so I'm not surprised CX withdrew this benefit.

But without this benefit, there's not really a differentiator in program benefits so no reason for many of us to stay loyal to CX now.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 3:12 am

Site is back up if anyone wants to peruse all the info.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 3:18 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
If you try to click on the "Mid Tier Benefits" section you get this. Looks like they are churning through some more calculations.

Important Notice:

We’re nearly there! We’re in the final stages of updating the Marco Polo Club, and our team is hard at work making the finishing touches.

All previous online functions and club services are up and running and you can now view your balance of club points. We are finalising the release of the all-new Mid-tier benefits. We share your excitement about these benefits, and we look forward to introducing them soon.

We apologise for the slight delay. We have high expectations for the quality of our service – both online and offline – and we want to make sure that all of the changes are rolled out successfully.

If you need any immediate assistance related to any other changes to the Marco Polo Club, please contact us at +800 2747 5500 (international prefix may apply) or [email protected]
Old Apr 15, 2016, 3:20 am

Site is up for me...

I'm sad:

Last edited by alphaod; Apr 15, 2016 at 3:37 am
Old Apr 15, 2016, 3:21 am

Programs: Accor Gold, IHG Gold
Site up also and upgraded with club point, not the ios app though.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 3:42 am

Bookable upgrade clarification

Just read the terms. One of which is:

''Bookable Upgrades are not eligible for use in conjunction with Asia Miles flight upgrades and companion rewards''

This rules out double upgrades (e.g. R-U-F), right? Also, I presume straight redemptions can't be upgraded either us U is excluded from eligible upgradeable fare classes.

Any foreseeable loopholes?
Old Apr 15, 2016, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by alphaod
Site is up for me...

I'm sad:
I see the same page, lol.

Where to check our mid tier benefits ?
Old Apr 15, 2016, 4:01 am

Conversion from Miles/Sectors to Points

CX just updated its Marco Polo club website to reflect points balance rather than miles/sectors as part of their frequent flyer club relaunch and earning/tier system.

I was looking at the point balance that CX assigned me, and it doesn't seem right based on my flight history since my last renewal. If I use the new points earn table and calculate what I think it should be, I get more points than what they gave me.

When I called Marco Polo club customer service, they said that there's a "automatic calculator" used to come up with the new point balances... and the CSR couldn't explain how the calculator worked.

Any idea as to what CX does to come up with the converted points balance? I would logically think that they look at your past flight history and calculate what the points are under the new earn system. But it doesn't seem that's the case.

Not sure if it's a total coincidence, but if I take my club miles balance pre-change and divide by 100, I just happen to get to the points balance that they assigned me rounded up to the nearest 10th.

Anyone else notice any strange discrepancies with what their points balance is showing?
Old Apr 15, 2016, 4:32 am
JWo

Programs: MPC DM / UA *A Gold / Hyatt Glob / SPG Gold
Details on Bookable Upgrades. Confirmation that they book into Revenue fare buckets - BUT requires the same fare class as Asia Mile upgrades before they can be applied:

"Requested flight must have confirmed booking and ticket issued on eligible fare classes.

Subject to seat availability Economy fare classes Y, B, H, K, and M will be upgraded to Premium Economy fare class E. If Premium Economy cabin is not available on the flight, ticket will be upgraded to Business Class fare class I.
Subject to seat availability Premium Economy fare classes W and R will be upgraded to Business Class fare class I.
Subject to seat availability Business Class fare classes J, C, D and I will be upgraded to First Class fare class A."
Old Apr 15, 2016, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by etsang32

Not sure if it's a total coincidence, but if I take my club miles balance pre-change and divide by 100, I just happen to get to the points balance that they assigned me rounded up to the nearest 10th.

Anyone else notice any strange discrepancies with what their points balance is showing?
That's correct. They are basically converting your old balance into the points directly by dividing by 100 and rounding up to the next 5 point value.

They are not recalculating all the your old trips because that would cause problems for some folks that fly say a lot of V fare that no longer earns as much.

However from now on, the earn rate will be based on the mileage chart.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 5:31 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Now for the guests we brought into lounge, they required to be flying OW, so I guess everyone needs to show the boarding pass when entering the lounge?

We used to be like the Kings at HKIA, can enter so many different lounges with 2 guests regardless who we fly, and can take anyone flying with anyone into F lounges as long as they happened to be in the airport same time with me. And it seems those benefits are all gone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.