Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Related threads:

What are the best value segments under the new system?

Switching out of Marco Polo: What do you choose and why?

FAQs as answered by AgencyGuy:

When will the mid-tier benefits be awarded?
They will be awarded as the member hits the mid-tier milestone. Not at the end of the membership year. These will be valid for a year commencing the day they are granted. No points are deduced when members are awarded these benefits.

Does that mean a member reaching 1800 tier points will get all three mid-tier benefits?
Yes, each benefit will be made available as the member hits the 1400, 1600 and 1800 point milestones

What mid-tier benefits will be awarded as of the conversion date of 15 April 2016?
The mid-tier benefits will kick in automatically after 15th April, if your converted club points balance exceeds the mid-tier thresholds. So for a Diamond tier member, if your converted balance is 1800 points you will immediately have access to two first class lounge guest passes, four bookable upgrades and one companion Gold card.

A Gold member on his/her way to Diamond pick up four short/medium upgrades along the way, but a renewing Diamond gets nothing?
You are correct, Silver, Gold or Diamond members on their way to renewal, don’t get additional benefits until they reach the mid-tier thresholds. But they will get there, I guess the benefits are designed to recognize members who go the extra mile after they have passed their renewal thresholds.

Is there any requirement on the underlying booking sub-classes when using a mid-tier upgrade "coupon"?
Yes, the original flight needs to be booked in an “upgradable” sub-class, the same sub-classes that qualify for Asia Miles upgrades

Is economy upgraded to Premium Economy or business for flights with Premium Economy?
It is always a one class upgrade so Economy to Premium Economy, if a flight does not have Premium Economy then the upgrade is to Business.

Are the sub-classes for the upgraded bookings A, I, and E (if applicable)?
I don’t know what these subclasses are yet other than that they will be revenue instead of redemption sub-classes. I guess they will be announced later.

What miles will be awarded for a flight upgraded using a upgrade coupon? The original ticket class, or the upgraded class?
I understand that both points and miles will be credited based on the upgraded class.

Green Re-Qualification
For Green members, if their membership year ends before 15 April 2016, like now, their membership will automatically be renewed. If their membership ends after 15 April and they have ANY club points at that time, they will be automatically renewed for another year (even if they are below 100 pts). If their membership ends after 15 April and they have no club points at that time, they will lose their Green membership or have the option of paying the US$100 fee to renew.
Print Wikipost

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2016, 9:59 pm

I think the numbers given by keitherson were for TWO round trips on QR.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 12:32 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by sxc
Code:
CX: 320 pt 28%
BA: 640 pt 43%
QF: 500 pt 35%
the points earned on BA and QF seems to be closer to what keitherson was saying, but those flights would give you 680 on CX, which is still 56% not 40%

Last edited by sxc; Jul 11, 2016 at 12:39 am Reason: Edited CX earning
Old Jul 11, 2016, 12:41 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I think the numbers given by keitherson were for TWO round trips on QR.
Correct - I was just changing it to one return to make it easier to digest.

the points earned on BA and QF seems to be closer to what keitherson was saying, but those flights would give you 680 on CX, which is still 56% not 40%
You might be getting confused with how the CX calculator presents its results making it look like one-way, but it's actually already return. See attachment.
Attached Images  
Old Jul 11, 2016, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
You might be getting confused with how the CX calculator presents its results making it look like one-way, but it's actually already return. See attachment.
Sorry I was minding something while posting that...I mean I was comparing your computation to what keitherson said

Originally Posted by keitherson
Flying two long-haul roundtrips in business class (I) on Qatar, I will net either:

1040 Qantas status credits, 1040/1400 for Platinum or 74% of the way there
1280 British Airways tier points, 1280/1500 for Gold or 85% of the way there
480 Cathay club points, 480/1200 for Diamond or 40% of the way there

The CX points don't seem to add up with what you posted for the points earned on a return I Class LAX-DOH-ADL ticket.

CX: 320 pt 28%
BA: 640 pt 43%
QF: 500 pt 35%
BA matches perfectly, while QF was off by 20points/ticket but CX is off the mark by 80points/ RT ticket.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 11:30 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Sorry for not following up. I am flying CDG-DOH-HKG-TPE x4 (or 2 roundtrips), which is 120x4 = 480. The last one is on Dragonair/Cathay.

CDG-DOH on QR I class = 45 points
DOH-HKG on QR I class = 60 points
HKG-TPE on CX I class = 15 points

So yes, I did not make any calculation error.

Why on earth would you fly from LAX to ADL via Qatar???

My original post explicitly said I am flying TWO roundtrips, so please take the time to read before criticizing my numbers.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 6:13 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Sorry for not following up. I am flying CDG-DOH-HKG-TPE x4 (or 2 roundtrips), which is 120x4 = 480. The last one is on Dragonair/Cathay.

Why on earth would you fly from LAX to ADL via Qatar???

My original post explicitly said I am flying TWO roundtrips, so please take the time to read before criticizing my numbers.
Thanks for coming back. I just chose that route as a long route to try and do a similar comparison to what you were doing. Regardless the same conclusion that the CX Program is not a great Program for reserving status.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 7:52 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Originally Posted by sxc
Thanks for coming back. I just chose that route as a long route to try and do a similar comparison to what you were doing. Regardless the same conclusion that the CX Program is not a great Program for reserving status.
Unless you are flying on CX long haul in premium (J/F) cabins multiple times a year.

But yes status can be more easily obtained with other programs, though it seems all airlines are provided an "incentive" to fly on the "home airline"

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Jul 13, 2016, 11:42 pm

I used QF's Calculator and it seems that I'm getting 190 status points per way so that's 380pts or 760pts for 2 RT tickets.

760/1400 is roughly 54% which is still better than CX at 40%, but not as bad as initially reported.
Attached Images  

Last edited by FlyPointyEnd; Jul 13, 2016 at 11:47 pm
Old Jul 16, 2016, 6:30 pm

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
I used QF's Calculator and it seems that I'm getting 190 status points per way so that's 380pts or 760pts for 2 RT tickets.

760/1400 is roughly 54% which is still better than CX at 40%, but not as bad as initially reported.
There are still ways to reach DM at a reasonable cost (<10k USD) - but it involves at least 4 returns in C on CX longhaul (ultra...). Or more like 8-10 returns to Europe.

The strange part is that the new chart really makes it significantly easier to earn Emerald on other programmes despite flying CX. It is as if they want us to look other ways...

I could keep BA GGL and get DM, but just don't see enough value in it not to go for the Lifetime Emerald that BA offers.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by skba1
There are still ways to reach DM at a reasonable cost (<10k USD) - but it involves at least 4 returns in C on CX longhaul (ultra...). Or more like 8-10 returns to Europe.

The strange part is that the new chart really makes it significantly easier to earn Emerald on other programmes despite flying CX. It is as if they want us to look other ways...

I could keep BA GGL and get DM, but just don't see enough value in it not to go for the Lifetime Emerald that BA offers.
thanks! I was just actually fact checking keitherson's comparison of QF, BA and CX points. He was accurate on both CX and BA but his QF calculations were off.

Old Jul 27, 2016, 12:12 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
thanks! I was just actually fact checking keitherson's comparison of QF, BA and CX points. He was accurate on both CX and BA but his QF calculations were off.
You were disputing my CX numbers not my QF numbers.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 8:48 pm

You were disputing my CX numbers not my QF numbers.
The way to read forums/message boards is the last one is the latest discussion on the thread/subject. The part where you quoted me disputing your CX numbers was before you actually gave the specific routing for your I class ticket. That was when we were trying to figure out what routing would give us the points you were referring to.

Since you have cleared that up I decided to do some fact checking and you would be happy to note that both CX and BA lines up perfectly to your assertion however would you be so nice as to share how you came up with the 520points on Qantas? Because right now I'm only coming up with 380 points.

Last edited by FlyPointyEnd; Jul 27, 2016 at 9:01 pm
Old Jul 27, 2016, 9:20 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Okay - I think we're done with this thread of discussion. We've reached the conclusion on how CX compares to the other compared programs. No need to debate who was arguing with what.

Thanks
sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator
Old Jul 30, 2016, 10:04 am

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Does anybody know with the new MPC, do they still give free MPC SL?

I'm asking for a friend, in 6 months she will get around 250 club points, with around 50 on CX metal and 200 on QR metal.

She wants to save the US$100 MPC GR joining fee, so she wants to know if CX will give away the SL for free.

To my knowledge, with the old MPC, CX often automatically sent out MPC SL cards to AM members who flew quite a bit in a short time.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 10:08 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by Psychiatrist
Does anybody know with the new MPC, do they still give free MPC SL?

I'm asking for a friend, in 6 months she will get around 250 club points, with around 50 on CX metal and 200 on QR metal.

She wants to save the US$100 MPC GR joining fee, so she wants to know if CX will give away the SL for free.

To my knowledge, with the old MPC, CX often automatically sent out MPC SL cards to AM members who flew quite a bit in a short time.
Following - in fact I wonder if there's been any status match after the revamp. There's a data point of UA 1K --> matched to CX DM on a Chinese website but I highly doubt its legitimacy.

Personally I would be more than happy if CX could match me to GO...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.