Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Related threads:

What are the best value segments under the new system?

Switching out of Marco Polo: What do you choose and why?

FAQs as answered by AgencyGuy:

When will the mid-tier benefits be awarded?
They will be awarded as the member hits the mid-tier milestone. Not at the end of the membership year. These will be valid for a year commencing the day they are granted. No points are deduced when members are awarded these benefits.

Does that mean a member reaching 1800 tier points will get all three mid-tier benefits?
Yes, each benefit will be made available as the member hits the 1400, 1600 and 1800 point milestones

What mid-tier benefits will be awarded as of the conversion date of 15 April 2016?
The mid-tier benefits will kick in automatically after 15th April, if your converted club points balance exceeds the mid-tier thresholds. So for a Diamond tier member, if your converted balance is 1800 points you will immediately have access to two first class lounge guest passes, four bookable upgrades and one companion Gold card.

A Gold member on his/her way to Diamond pick up four short/medium upgrades along the way, but a renewing Diamond gets nothing?
You are correct, Silver, Gold or Diamond members on their way to renewal, don’t get additional benefits until they reach the mid-tier thresholds. But they will get there, I guess the benefits are designed to recognize members who go the extra mile after they have passed their renewal thresholds.

Is there any requirement on the underlying booking sub-classes when using a mid-tier upgrade "coupon"?
Yes, the original flight needs to be booked in an “upgradable” sub-class, the same sub-classes that qualify for Asia Miles upgrades

Is economy upgraded to Premium Economy or business for flights with Premium Economy?
It is always a one class upgrade so Economy to Premium Economy, if a flight does not have Premium Economy then the upgrade is to Business.

Are the sub-classes for the upgraded bookings A, I, and E (if applicable)?
I don’t know what these subclasses are yet other than that they will be revenue instead of redemption sub-classes. I guess they will be announced later.

What miles will be awarded for a flight upgraded using a upgrade coupon? The original ticket class, or the upgraded class?
I understand that both points and miles will be credited based on the upgraded class.

Green Re-Qualification
For Green members, if their membership year ends before 15 April 2016, like now, their membership will automatically be renewed. If their membership ends after 15 April and they have ANY club points at that time, they will be automatically renewed for another year (even if they are below 100 pts). If their membership ends after 15 April and they have no club points at that time, they will lose their Green membership or have the option of paying the US$100 fee to renew.
Print Wikipost

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2016, 2:18 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by phol
Almost certainly. Following the BA model (as that's what CX seems to have copied) the reset point is inflexible regardless of how many points you have accrued over the threshold, partly because of the mid tier accrual bonuses.
thanks
Old Mar 14, 2016, 3:44 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG GO
Originally Posted by Psychiatrist
Has anybody received new-logo MPC cards / luggage tags yet?

If yes, I'd like to request a new set.
I just received mine last week and they are still the old ones.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 7:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
CX Sends email on demote member to green

So they finally demote me after years of inactivity for flying Elite qualifying flight, so they are doing it seriously
Dear XXXX,
Take advantage of this exceptional Green-tier renewal
We hope you enjoyed your membership over the past year. As you may know, we review members' travel every 12 months and adjust tiers appropriately. Because your travel patterns may have changed, we're writing you early to let you know that right now you do not qualify for Marco Polo Club membership.

However, to help you transition to the new system, which takes effect 15 April 2016, we will renew your Green membership for another year if you earn any number of club miles or club sectors in this membership year. Or you may pay a renewal fee of USD100.

After the transition
To continue your Green membership the following year, you will need to earn 100 club points or pay a renewal fee of USD100. You can learn how the club points system works and how club points are calculated here.

Your Asia Miles account is not affected and you can continue to earn and redeem Asia Miles as you do now.

We're always here to help
If you have any questions, our worldwide, toll-free, 24-hour service centre is always available at +800 2747 5500 (international prefix may apply).

Remember – to enjoy this exceptional renewal of your Green membership, simply book any flight on Cathay Pacific or Dragonair before your membership year ends. We look forward to welcoming you on board.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
That's interesting - I got an email a week ago which wasn't so explicit about kicking me out. I have zero club activity in the last 12 months, but almost 1 million club miles (and 6 or 7 years of Diamond membership in the past).

Helping you transition to the new programme

With the change to a new points-based system on 15 April 2016, we are easing the Green-tier renewal requirements for the first year — any club points held at the end of your current membership year will grant you an automatic membership renewal; thereafter, 100 club points or USD100 will be needed. Green members will still enjoy priority check-in and boarding as before, plus a new mid-tier benefit of a Business Class Lounge Pass at 200 club points. Find out more.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 7:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA & SPG Plat
Did you seriously think CX/MPO was joking this time and not planning to downgrade GR members this time?? It was already pretty clear from the announcement, and even reconfirmed by the "Helping you transition" email.

Your 0.98MM is meaningless and irrelevant.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 11:03 pm
Suspended

Why not? They haven't kicked me out for the last several years when I didn't meet the renewal requirement, so why should I be sure that this year will be any different? But I don't care either way (CX Green is of no value anyway since my rare flights these days are generally redemption F), but I note purely out of curiosity that different people seem to have got different emails.

And if MPC were truly a loyalty programme, rather than simply a short-term rewards programme, then my 0.98M Club Miles would be relevant.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 11:12 pm

Programs: BA- GGL, Hyatt-GLB, Marriott- AMB
Originally Posted by chfshifter
I think this has not been asked anywhere - are we able to book flights flying post-15Apr using V class guarantee now?
Not asked because it's in the terms. No more seat guarantee for V class. Guarantee will be at full fare class from April 15
Old Mar 15, 2016, 11:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mafai
Not asked because it's in the terms. No more seat guarantee for V class. Guarantee will be at full fare class from April 15
I don't think you understood the question... The question is can a Gold+ use the fare guarantee before April 15 (after which the new rules are clear) to make V-fare reservations on dates after April 15?

I don't know, although my assumption would be yes.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 2:47 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by christep
I don't think you understood the question... The question is can a Gold+ use the fare guarantee before April 15 (after which the new rules are clear) to make V-fare reservations on dates after April 15?

I don't know, although my assumption would be yes.
I also assume the answer is yes, but if you make a change to that booking after April 15 and need the seat guarantee into V class, it won't be available. You will only be able to change your ticket where V is already available.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 6:42 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
I think charging $100 US each year for green is a very bad practice. The only usage for green is faster boarding, so now "not so frequent flyer" needs to fly 100 club point to be able to board earlier. 100 club points is like 5+ return trips if you only fly with Asia. And if you're only flying 4, that would make $25 US for trip for faster boarding. It doesn't make sense isn't it.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA & SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Ausriver
I think charging $100 US each year for green is a very bad practice. The only usage for green is faster boarding, so now "not so frequent flyer" needs to fly 100 club point to be able to board earlier. 100 club points is like 5+ return trips if you only fly with Asia. And if you're only flying 4, that would make $25 US for trip for faster boarding. It doesn't make sense isn't it.
Access to MPO phone line (instead of AM), which I would assume be a lot shorter wait time when the vast majority of GR's are dropped, etc.
100 points might just be 1 trip / year for some. Or others, 20 Fanfare trips. Or $0 revenue and purely redeeming awards.

If someone wants to pay for it, then let them. But the point is to create a barrier so that people with low, to no, activity at all in the past 12 months won't be renewed for free like in the past.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Daffie
Access to MPO phone line (instead of AM), which I would assume be a lot shorter wait time when the vast majority of GR's are dropped, etc.
100 points might just be 1 trip / year for some. Or others, 20 Fanfare trips. Or $0 revenue and purely redeeming awards.

If someone wants to pay for it, then let them. But the point is to create a barrier so that people with low, to no, activity at all in the past 12 months won't be renewed for free like in the past.
not necessarily same number of staff in the call center, its the number of staff that get assign to MPC or AM that matter...
Old Mar 21, 2016, 12:35 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by QRC3288
One (small) change I think is inevitable, apologies if posted before, is....the "early reset" feature for DMs.

Ie, the extra month DMs get at the end - if they cross the 120k threshold early enough - will be no more. For example, if your year ends June 30, typically in the past if you were already at 120k miles by May 31 - doing DM in at least 11 months instead of 12 - your year would reset in early June. This in essence gave you a 13 month year if you needed to dip into the cookie jar. It was never really relevant except for one year, but still was a nice feature.

Now, because CX is offering DMs benefits beyond 1200 points (previously 120k miles), presumably there will not be an early reset? Is this correct?
Wow, no early reset, huh? I have a dilemma. I've already crossed the 120k threshold and I have 6 months remaining. Would you reset it before 15.4 or would you go for the 1800 points?
Old Mar 21, 2016, 7:08 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by gemini573
Wow, no early reset, huh? I have a dilemma. I've already crossed the 120k threshold and I have 6 months remaining. Would you reset it before 15.4 or would you go for the 1800 points?
If you don't reset, you have 18 months of Diamond ahead of you. If you reset now, and you don't get Diamond in the next year you only have it for 12 more months - but this sounds unlikely.

But you should probably go for 1800 - if you are flying premium cabins, it will be easier for you to reach 1800 compared to now.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 7:30 am

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Originally Posted by gemini573
I am 5 months into my current membership and like you I have already crossed 1200 points threshold. I am definitely going for the 1800 points. I fly primarily in F and J so re-qualifying won't be a problem, in fact it's easier from mid-Apr onwards. So it makes sense to get all the mid tired benefits first before I reset. If your flying pattern/situation is similar then you should do the same too.

The 4 system-wide upgrade vouchers is definitely something I'd appreciate; not so the 2 lounge pass or the GO membership.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.