Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Related threads:

What are the best value segments under the new system?

Switching out of Marco Polo: What do you choose and why?

FAQs as answered by AgencyGuy:

When will the mid-tier benefits be awarded?
They will be awarded as the member hits the mid-tier milestone. Not at the end of the membership year. These will be valid for a year commencing the day they are granted. No points are deduced when members are awarded these benefits.

Does that mean a member reaching 1800 tier points will get all three mid-tier benefits?
Yes, each benefit will be made available as the member hits the 1400, 1600 and 1800 point milestones

What mid-tier benefits will be awarded as of the conversion date of 15 April 2016?
The mid-tier benefits will kick in automatically after 15th April, if your converted club points balance exceeds the mid-tier thresholds. So for a Diamond tier member, if your converted balance is 1800 points you will immediately have access to two first class lounge guest passes, four bookable upgrades and one companion Gold card.

A Gold member on his/her way to Diamond pick up four short/medium upgrades along the way, but a renewing Diamond gets nothing?
You are correct, Silver, Gold or Diamond members on their way to renewal, don’t get additional benefits until they reach the mid-tier thresholds. But they will get there, I guess the benefits are designed to recognize members who go the extra mile after they have passed their renewal thresholds.

Is there any requirement on the underlying booking sub-classes when using a mid-tier upgrade "coupon"?
Yes, the original flight needs to be booked in an “upgradable” sub-class, the same sub-classes that qualify for Asia Miles upgrades

Is economy upgraded to Premium Economy or business for flights with Premium Economy?
It is always a one class upgrade so Economy to Premium Economy, if a flight does not have Premium Economy then the upgrade is to Business.

Are the sub-classes for the upgraded bookings A, I, and E (if applicable)?
I don’t know what these subclasses are yet other than that they will be revenue instead of redemption sub-classes. I guess they will be announced later.

What miles will be awarded for a flight upgraded using a upgrade coupon? The original ticket class, or the upgraded class?
I understand that both points and miles will be credited based on the upgraded class.

Green Re-Qualification
For Green members, if their membership year ends before 15 April 2016, like now, their membership will automatically be renewed. If their membership ends after 15 April and they have ANY club points at that time, they will be automatically renewed for another year (even if they are below 100 pts). If their membership ends after 15 April and they have no club points at that time, they will lose their Green membership or have the option of paying the US$100 fee to renew.
Print Wikipost

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2015, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by Rivarix
No - Al Safwa just opened (and to satisfy my curiosity I decided to go with QR via DOH and fly regional F to DXB instead of CX via HKG for my trip to UAE later this month).

Yes sir.

OK so I'm wondering if anyone here has more information about the membership holiday feature. Can you activate this feature in the middle of your MPC year or are you only allowed to do it at the start of the year? Originally I thought you could only do it at the start of the year but now I wonder whether my interpretation of this feature was incorrect.

My original game plan was to credit enough flights to MPC to get to 600 TP before start crediting to AA. Once my MPC year ends in July 2016, CX will downgrade me to Gold and I will call to 'freeze' my membership. This way, if/when I were to switch back to MPC, I will start the year as Gold and have 12 months to work my way back to DM.

However the math differs if CX allows me to freeze it right in the middle of the year. If I were to continue crediting to MPC, I could get to approx. 950 TP by 15 April 2016 (when this feature goes live). If I were to call CX on that day, does it mean that if/when I re-activate my status, I have approx. 3.5 months (15 Apr to end of July which is my original MPC year-end) to earn 250 TP (1200 TP minus 950 TP) to retain DM for another year? 250 TP is doable - it's one return J trip JFK to SE Asia - so this is how membership holiday mechanically works, I could technically leave and comeback without missing anything.

Also if this works, presumably it means my 'new' membership year will change? In the scenario above I have 3.5 months left in my original membership year so if I were to re-activate my status say in Feb 2017, it means my 'new' MPC membership year will end in May 2017? Is this how this feature going to work?
I thought the membership was to start as per request. Say your membership year is Jan 01 to Dec 31 2016. You could request it anytime you want say Dec 01 for 1 year (don't know if you could shorten the membership holiday, I wish I could). So from Dec 01 to Dec 31, 2017 your membership is activated and will expire Dec 31, 2017 (I wonder if we could consecutively use the 3 membership holiday? That means it will expire Dec 31, 2019)
Old Nov 10, 2015, 7:12 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Maybe this has been answered:

For the Club Points chart, is the mileage flown based on actual miles (AKA 100%) or does it take into account fare class conversions? (ie: F=150%, J=125%, W=110%)
Old Nov 10, 2015, 8:32 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
It is based on base miles before class bonus.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 2:05 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Man, I think I need a new program. Because unless I fly F every month, not sure how I'm getting DM again...
Old Nov 12, 2015, 2:10 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by alphaod
Man, I think I need a new program. Because unless I fly F every month, not sure how I'm getting DM again...
Have a look here for some ideas.....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...l#post25507325
Old Nov 19, 2015, 5:53 am

And now, with the new changes in AA...

The new changes just announced in the AAdvantage program are sure to delight some people here -- AA members will get even less mileage when flying CX (H class now only gets half the mileage), but the part I'm sure will be wildly applauded here is that AA dramatically increased the mileage required for first class awards between North American and Asia -- almost double what it used to be (from 67.5K one-way to 110K one-way between the US and Asia 2).

So, you got what you wished for -- no more AA freeloaders grabbing your seats and spoiling your august cabin!
Old Nov 19, 2015, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by NYC212
The new changes just announced in the AAdvantage program are sure to delight some people here -- AA members will get even less mileage when flying CX (H class now only gets half the mileage), but the part I'm sure will be wildly applauded here is that AA dramatically increased the mileage required for first class awards between North American and Asia -- almost double what it used to be (from 67.5K one-way to 110K one-way between the US and Asia 2).

So, you got what you wished for -- no more AA freeloaders grabbing your seats and spoiling your august cabin!
Yep, AA cracking down on AA members taking advantage of best of both worlds. Once again the hardest hits will be Y fliers, on both sides.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: BR Gold, MPC Silver

About time!
Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:18 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member

I don't think it'll affect me much - it's more important how many seats CX releases on the whole as my 360-day bookings will always front-run AA redeemers.

But AM members booking less ahead than I will benefit.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond

Nope, it upsets this poster (though I had mitigated my damage by redeeming much more ever since the merger had taken place!)
Old Nov 19, 2015, 9:35 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF

Compared to 130K one-way/220K RT JFK-HKG, AA's programme is still a very good deal. AM has no elite bonus.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Compared to 130K one-way/220K RT JFK-HKG, AA's programme is still a very good deal. AM has no elite bonus.
Why do that when you can do
CX/BA Z HKGFRA (stopover if you wish)
BA U FRALON (stopover if you wish)
BA/AA Z LONNYC
AA Z NYCSFO (stopover if you wish)
CX Z SFOHKG
for 205k?
(or the other way around, you can also replace FRA with another European gateway served by CX with F/eliminate this portion.)
(admittedly, YQ this way is higher...)
You can also replace SFO with LAX/CHI/BOS (or include LAX/CHI/BOS in this.)
Old Nov 19, 2015, 12:02 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by LapuLapu
About time!
+1

It's funny to see how people on the AA board are trying to redeem CX F seats 330 days out, hoping to grab a seat and beat the AA devaluation.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 5:44 pm
mxr

Programs: CX DM
Got a couple of questions on this since Ill be switching back to CX flying from 2016 onwards, albeit the upcoming changes that make it harder for Y flyers to get far within the programme. Couldn't find any info on this in their FAQ:

- Firstly I have emailed marco polo asking for a reset of my membership year to January 2016 (currently ends in February) and I wanted to switch in January already. Any past experience for these requests?

- From my understanding, if I book premium eco E class as opposed to eco M class, under the old earning i won't be getting a lot more out of it. Both my outbound/return Europe-HKG flights are before the changes will be applied so will be calculated under the old earning.
Question is whether if I book M class, will the points be converted differently than say if I book K class? As of right now they both earn 100% but after April 15th K earns slightly more than M.

Edit: Seemed to have found the answer with a search. 1/100 x current miles. Which I guess makes booking J prior to the changes less attractive...

Last edited by mxr; Nov 20, 2015 at 4:36 am
Old Nov 23, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
ISMs talking to Diamond Members about MPC Changes

On my last 2 flights with CX both ISMs pro-actively raised the changes in the MPC.

At first I was reluctant to discuss as felt complaining to them about changes outside their control was not exactly fair, however, they both pressed the issue. I told them I will miss the crews but will switch from CX to flying other airlines, as the changes do not work for me.

Both ISMs were genuinely saddened they are losing a client, and both said they had talked to other passengers in PEY/Y who are giving similar feedback. One even asked me if I had raised this with CX, to which I replied politely "if they are not going to ask me before the changes, they will not listen after making them".

Not sure if this is ISMs being curious or gaining feedback for management, I suspect the former, but I have spoken to other DMs who tell me the ISMs raised the issue with them as well.

Is CX belatedly listening, or are the ISMs caring more about their clients than the bean counters? Swires are not known for changing their hearts, or even having one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.