Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Related threads:

What are the best value segments under the new system?

Switching out of Marco Polo: What do you choose and why?

FAQs as answered by AgencyGuy:

When will the mid-tier benefits be awarded?
They will be awarded as the member hits the mid-tier milestone. Not at the end of the membership year. These will be valid for a year commencing the day they are granted. No points are deduced when members are awarded these benefits.

Does that mean a member reaching 1800 tier points will get all three mid-tier benefits?
Yes, each benefit will be made available as the member hits the 1400, 1600 and 1800 point milestones

What mid-tier benefits will be awarded as of the conversion date of 15 April 2016?
The mid-tier benefits will kick in automatically after 15th April, if your converted club points balance exceeds the mid-tier thresholds. So for a Diamond tier member, if your converted balance is 1800 points you will immediately have access to two first class lounge guest passes, four bookable upgrades and one companion Gold card.

A Gold member on his/her way to Diamond pick up four short/medium upgrades along the way, but a renewing Diamond gets nothing?
You are correct, Silver, Gold or Diamond members on their way to renewal, don’t get additional benefits until they reach the mid-tier thresholds. But they will get there, I guess the benefits are designed to recognize members who go the extra mile after they have passed their renewal thresholds.

Is there any requirement on the underlying booking sub-classes when using a mid-tier upgrade "coupon"?
Yes, the original flight needs to be booked in an “upgradable” sub-class, the same sub-classes that qualify for Asia Miles upgrades

Is economy upgraded to Premium Economy or business for flights with Premium Economy?
It is always a one class upgrade so Economy to Premium Economy, if a flight does not have Premium Economy then the upgrade is to Business.

Are the sub-classes for the upgraded bookings A, I, and E (if applicable)?
I don’t know what these subclasses are yet other than that they will be revenue instead of redemption sub-classes. I guess they will be announced later.

What miles will be awarded for a flight upgraded using a upgrade coupon? The original ticket class, or the upgraded class?
I understand that both points and miles will be credited based on the upgraded class.

Green Re-Qualification
For Green members, if their membership year ends before 15 April 2016, like now, their membership will automatically be renewed. If their membership ends after 15 April and they have ANY club points at that time, they will be automatically renewed for another year (even if they are below 100 pts). If their membership ends after 15 April and they have no club points at that time, they will lose their Green membership or have the option of paying the US$100 fee to renew.
Print Wikipost

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2015, 12:02 pm

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jkuok
how did u get "1.25 sectors = 18.75 club points after conversion"?
I thought the conversion is 1 sector = 15 club points?

(from post Post #57)

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
* The multiplication factor for sectors is 600/40 = 15
* The multiplication factor for miles is 600/60000 = 0.01
Old Oct 24, 2015, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by Psychiatrist
I thought the conversion is 1 sector = 15 club points?

(from post Post #57)
Got it thank you
Old Oct 25, 2015, 8:08 pm
JWo

Programs: MPC DM / UA *A Gold / Hyatt Glob / SPG Gold
Does anyone know if the conversion from Club Miles to Club Points as of April 15 2016 will only be done in multiples of 5 (i.e. if I have 93600 Club Miles on April 14 2015, will this be converted to 936 Club Points or rounded down to 935 Club Points on April 15 2016)?

In addition, if the conversion will only be done in multiples of 5, what are the rounding rules? Will MPC always round up to the nearest multiple or 5 or round down?
Old Oct 25, 2015, 8:30 pm

Programs: CX-DM, BA-GGL, Marriott-TI, HHonors-DM
Originally Posted by JWo
Does anyone know if the conversion from Club Miles to Club Points as of April 15 2016 will only be done in multiples of 5 (i.e. if I have 93600 Club Miles on April 14 2015, will this be converted to 936 Club Points or rounded down to 935 Club Points on April 15 2016)?

In addition, if the conversion will only be done in multiples of 5, what are the rounding rules? Will MPC always round up to the nearest multiple or 5 or round down?
I think conversion is done as a % of the tier you are going for. So if you have 40 sectors going for Diamond, you will have 600 tier points to the nearest multiple of 5. I may be wrong though...
Old Oct 26, 2015, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288
anyone know if the new incremental DM benefits over 1200 points (lounge passes, 4 upgrade certs, Gold companion pass) will be applicable if we already cleared those hurdles for the April 15 reset? Aka, what happens if I'm at 1800 or 2400 points when the change happens? Will I instantly get those extra benefits? Or is it not applicable to me since I'm still earning in the "old" system?

I'm trying to figure out if I should re-start buying cash tix and applying to MPC. Ie should I accrue to CX right now and keep spending past DM despite having another 6+ months until reset, or just keep ignoring earning to MPC until these changes are implemented post April 15. Normally, my pattern this time of year (aka, once I clear DM) is to burn miles, buy cheapo intra-Asia tickets, try other carriers, etc. This year I've been more aggressive than the past.

This year I have an 8 month holding pattern. I've done more flying this year than in recent memory, but CX has earned a smaller piece of my revenue pie. I can pretty easily change it back and these incremental benefits seem like a reasonable incentive. So I'm wondering, can I get those three extra levels of benefits (lounge passes, upgrade certs, GO companion pass) if I keep earning to MPC now, and when the change happens in April I'll get the lounge passes, upgrade certs, and GO pass all at once (presuming I'm at 2400 points or whatever)? Or is it CX's intention that those incremental benefits only apply to people who have crossed the higher thresholds after April 15?

I can probably cross all the thresholds for my membership year before April 15, but it will require me changing my habits now. I'll need to spend and earn to MPC during my CX "offseason".
Apologies for the delay in responding to this. My understanding is that the mid-tier benefits will kick in automatically after 15th April. If your converted club points balance exceeds the mid-tier thresholds. So for a Diamond tier member, if your converted balance is 1800 points you will immediately have access to two first class lounge guest passes, four bookable upgrades and one companion Gold card. Pretty neat!
Old Oct 26, 2015, 12:30 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by JWo

I think they are rounding UP to the nearest multiple of 5, from what I recall in my wife's account (which I am managing on her behalf).
Old Oct 26, 2015, 1:48 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I have updated the wiki with some of the FAQs.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by AgencyGuy
Apologies for the delay in responding to this. My understanding is that the mid-tier benefits will kick in automatically after 15th April. If your converted club points balance exceeds the mid-tier thresholds. So for a Diamond tier member, if your converted balance is 1800 points you will immediately have access to two first class lounge guest passes, four bookable upgrades and one companion Gold card. Pretty neat!
Thanks for the info. One more question. Eg, i have 80sec/120k miles now, will MPC automatically renew? Or it will just carry on until either my membership year lapse or i requested to renew?
Old Oct 26, 2015, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by soonyeap
Thanks for the info. One more question. Eg, i have 80sec/120k miles now, will MPC automatically renew? Or it will just carry on until either my membership year lapse or i requested to renew?
It will carry out to end of your membership year, unless you instruct CX to do it earlier.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
It will carry out to end of your membership year, unless you instruct CX to do it earlier.
Great, thanks for the information
Old Oct 27, 2015, 1:38 am

Seems like everytime CX does something new the first time they almost messed up badly (coffin J, Shell Y, Wing renovation, etc.) Why don't they skip the bad will and pain of customers and realize this pattern and revamp the new MPC program now based on negative feedbacks?

Two places to start:

1) bonus mid-tier benefits are cumulative: i.e. a DM renewing DM can also get the SL, GO mid-tier benefits.

2) Treat E fare with W, R fares together, not as the same as K fare, urgh.

If they just make these two quick changes there will be a lot of people wanting to stay with MPC despite the more stingy points system.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 2:40 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob

1) bonus mid-tier benefits are cumulative: i.e. a DM renewing DM can also get the SL, GO mid-tier benefits.
A reason why this won't happen is that the DM member is enjoying the DM benefits on their way to 1200 points.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 2:52 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Seems like everytime CX does something new the first time they almost messed up badly (coffin J, Shell Y, Wing renovation, etc.) Why don't they skip the bad will and pain of customers and realize this pattern and revamp the new MPC program now based on negative feedbacks?

Two places to start:

2) Treat E fare with W, R fares together, not as the same as K fare, urgh.

If they just make these two quick changes there will be a lot of people wanting to stay with MPC despite the more stingy points system.
As I posted in another thread, CX probably thinks E fare is too unworthy of consideration. ex-China E fare to NA with 2 stopovers and short haul segments booked into I is only pricing at 6-7k CNY. Same for popular outports such as ex-TPE and ex-TYO, the price differential for E and R is quite steep. Can't compare with ex-HKG R fares that shoot up to like 30k HKD.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
As I posted in another thread, CX probably thinks E fare is too unworthy of consideration. ex-China E fare to NA with 2 stopovers and short haul segments booked into I is only pricing at 6-7k CNY. Same for popular outports such as ex-TPE and ex-TYO, the price differential for E and R is quite steep. Can't compare with ex-HKG R fares that shoot up to like 30k HKD.
On the other hand E fare out of NA ports are ridiculously high. Also, the point of FFP is to entice frequent fliers to spend MORE, not give them a reason to spend less. Upping E fare points will nudge K fare fliers to pay double for E fare, making E fare the same as K fare only make frequent flyers mad and want to switch airlines. People won't spend the money to up to R fare for more points on same level of service. People generally only upsell for more cabin comfort and FFP points gives them a reason to.

Bad business if CX really believe in what you have said.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 8:46 pm

I agree with Cathay Boy re E class long haul.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.