Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Related threads:

What are the best value segments under the new system?

Switching out of Marco Polo: What do you choose and why?

FAQs as answered by AgencyGuy:

When will the mid-tier benefits be awarded?
They will be awarded as the member hits the mid-tier milestone. Not at the end of the membership year. These will be valid for a year commencing the day they are granted. No points are deduced when members are awarded these benefits.

Does that mean a member reaching 1800 tier points will get all three mid-tier benefits?
Yes, each benefit will be made available as the member hits the 1400, 1600 and 1800 point milestones

What mid-tier benefits will be awarded as of the conversion date of 15 April 2016?
The mid-tier benefits will kick in automatically after 15th April, if your converted club points balance exceeds the mid-tier thresholds. So for a Diamond tier member, if your converted balance is 1800 points you will immediately have access to two first class lounge guest passes, four bookable upgrades and one companion Gold card.

A Gold member on his/her way to Diamond pick up four short/medium upgrades along the way, but a renewing Diamond gets nothing?
You are correct, Silver, Gold or Diamond members on their way to renewal, don’t get additional benefits until they reach the mid-tier thresholds. But they will get there, I guess the benefits are designed to recognize members who go the extra mile after they have passed their renewal thresholds.

Is there any requirement on the underlying booking sub-classes when using a mid-tier upgrade "coupon"?
Yes, the original flight needs to be booked in an “upgradable” sub-class, the same sub-classes that qualify for Asia Miles upgrades

Is economy upgraded to Premium Economy or business for flights with Premium Economy?
It is always a one class upgrade so Economy to Premium Economy, if a flight does not have Premium Economy then the upgrade is to Business.

Are the sub-classes for the upgraded bookings A, I, and E (if applicable)?
I don’t know what these subclasses are yet other than that they will be revenue instead of redemption sub-classes. I guess they will be announced later.

What miles will be awarded for a flight upgraded using a upgrade coupon? The original ticket class, or the upgraded class?
I understand that both points and miles will be credited based on the upgraded class.

Green Re-Qualification
For Green members, if their membership year ends before 15 April 2016, like now, their membership will automatically be renewed. If their membership ends after 15 April and they have ANY club points at that time, they will be automatically renewed for another year (even if they are below 100 pts). If their membership ends after 15 April and they have no club points at that time, they will lose their Green membership or have the option of paying the US$100 fee to renew.
Print Wikipost

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2015, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Daffie
Don't think you can [easily] barter the first 4. IIRC users have to be on your redemption list.
I thought u can change it every half a year or something?

besides they will need a pair for round trip upgrade, I dont know about the lounge access/pass since ppl can get it with asiamiles. You will have to trade it for below that number which might not be worth it at all
Old Oct 22, 2015, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by sscywong
Missing mileage claim is always sector by sector so no worry

Back to your calculation... Need to know if you have more miles or sectors now as this will affect the calculation...

Take me as example... I'm always a sector guy but due to two long haul flew right after renewal currently I have more miles than sectors in terms of % of renewal i.e. if I get the conversion today I'll get the conversion based on miles

However unless something unplanned popped up I'll very likely fly mostly ultra-short or short haul Y before 15 Apr... This results in an uncertainty regarding whether I should bank the Y sectors now or later... (complicating factor: If I bank my Y sectors later, ALL my Y flights will yield ZERO membership benefit... unlike J which there's several privilege included in the ticket)

Of course some tickets are quite clear cut no matter end up I'll get the conversion by miles or sectors like:

TPE in V: Now
SIN in C: Later

But for PVG in Y... In sector I gained, but in miles I lost if I bank now...

Headache...
so it really depends if u got ur status by sectors or by miles.
I think this is cathay's way in discouraging ex tpe biz
Old Oct 22, 2015, 6:01 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by jkuok
I thought u can change it every half a year or something?

besides they will need a pair for round trip upgrade, I dont know about the lounge access/pass since ppl can get it with asiamiles. You will have to trade it for below that number which might not be worth it at all
If you are willing to pay for redemption list change, you can change as often as you want. Otherwise you can only add to the list until full. AFAIK, the only exception is DM. A DM can change his/her list once free of charge during a membership year, but I cannot find the link on this.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 7:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Has anyone already changed their flying patterns?

I have given this some thought and decided to maximise my mileage before the 'Great Change', so that need I less Band points to reach DM afterwards. This is to give me more time to assess which are the best options.

This has meant changing my flying patterns, i.e. less CX.

Upcoming 4 long haul flights up to end of January 2016:

2 x NYC Switched from CX to AA.
1 x LON Switched from CX PEY to BA PEY, but option for MAS Business.
1 x EUR As Christmas Holiday too late to change from CX.

All above with requisite programme mileage, and paying lower fares. With a bit of flying arbitrage I can trade up on some routes for same overall costs by switching from flying CX.

Unfortunately, these new routings will not help with status after the 'Great Change'.

I wonder how many others are already changing their flying patterns?

Nicc HK

Last edited by Nicc HK; Oct 22, 2015 at 7:58 pm Reason: Bit more oomphh
Old Oct 22, 2015, 8:08 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Nicc HK

I wonder how many others are already changing their flying patterns?

Nicc HK
Where I have the opportunity to take an airline with lower fares but the same mileage earn, I am doing so.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 8:09 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
With the announced changes it may be worthwhile to reflect on the survey that was sent out in August which I'm sure was the last piece of data they wanted to finalise the changes:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...l#post25247766
Old Oct 22, 2015, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
If you are willing to pay for redemption list change, you can change as often as you want. Otherwise you can only add to the list until full. AFAIK, the only exception is DM. A DM can change his/her list once free of charge during a membership year, but I cannot find the link on this.
oh i havent done my research on this so i can add people to my dlredemption list until full and then have to pay every time i want to make a change?
Old Oct 22, 2015, 10:02 pm

oh i havent done my research on this so i can add people to my dlredemption list until full and then have to pay every time i want to make a change?
Please note here: http://www.asiamiles.com/am/en/about...000ad21c39RCRD
Old Oct 22, 2015, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
So there is a cost of USD 90 when you plan to add more than 5 people to the redemption list. Wonder if there is a limit

"You can nominate up to five individuals as your Redemption Group. A service fee (online: USD90; other channels: USD160) will be charged for every change of nomination or deletion, or for exceeding five nominees."
Old Oct 23, 2015, 12:21 am

I am returning SYD-HKG CX next week but that is my last "loyal" flight. Next flight HKG-LHR is with BA. But as an earlier long haul Y poster said - CX doesn't care.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 2:45 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Honkygal
I am returning SYD-HKG CX next week but that is my last "loyal" flight. Next flight HKG-LHR is with BA. But as an earlier long haul Y poster said - CX doesn't care.
Do you mean you're accruing to BA (flying CX), accruing to BA (flying BA), or accruing to CX (but flying BA)?
Old Oct 23, 2015, 5:28 am

Programs: BR Gold, MPC Silver
Originally Posted by sxc
Where I have the opportunity to take an airline with lower fares but the same mileage earn, I am doing so.
I'm 4k miles away from renewing Gold until 12/31 so this is now my plan. I have at least 2 more LAX-MNL-LAX trips until end of December and its now about getting as cheap as possible instead of blindly just going for V or M fares that I did for the last 10 years or so.

1. Take advantage of the CX Special fare to LAX-MNL-LAX in N class for 820usd instead of V-class 1350-1400 fares. I don't care about the asiamiles (have about 130k booked already and haven't redeemed anything in over a year)
2. I will probably book a V-Class LAX-MNL and N class MNL-LAX (if possible) on my next trip Nov to fulfill my CX Gold Renewal.

3. I usually do an early mileage reset but now that I think about it, I will utilize my full year. My mindset before was to get to renewal as fast as I can by again being blindly loyal to V-class or above fares. I should never do early reset and just coast the rest of the membership year.

Like many have said, the blinders are now off so its now all about maximizing my future silver status, renewing it..and then just coast for the rest of my planned trips.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 7:20 am

I am going to fly BA PEY (E) and accrue to BA. Some flights will be BA/CX code share eg HKG-SYD/MEL. The only tricky route for me will be HKG-SIN. I am still doing my research but BA seems a good alternative considering my flight pattern. Even when I go to JFK, I go via LHR. Oh, and x 2, my husband will also switch. From my reading of the BAEC rules, you accrue benefits for longevity as well.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 9:23 am

So there is a cost of USD 90 when you plan to add more than 5 people to the redemption list. Wonder if there is a limit

"You can nominate up to five individuals as your Redemption Group. A service fee (online: USD90; other channels: USD160) will be charged for every change of nomination or deletion, or for exceeding five nominees."
I never paid to change my redemption group, but I believe you can make any additions/deletions to the entire list with one payment as long as the number of nominees does not exceed five.

I don't know if the free once/year allowance for DM redemption group change is still there.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Psychiatrist
Just want to run this past you guys ...

I'm calculating which flights to claim before 15.4.2016 and which ones to do a retrospective claim.

From now until 15.4.2016, I will only fly business class to three places - TPE x 3, HND x 5, PVG x 1

TPE
- in the current system = 1.25 sectors = 18.75 club points after conversion
- in the new system = 15 club points

HND and PVG
- in the current system = 1.25 sectors = 18.75 club points after conversion
- in the new system = 30 (C class for HND) and 25 (D class for PVG)

So for TPE, it's better to claim it before 15.4.2016
For HND and PVG, it's better to claim it after 15.4.2016

Is the above reasoning correct?

As my tickets are ex-TPE, can I just request a missing miles claim sector by sector, even though there are 4 sectors on my ticket? I would like to:
- for the TPE-HKG / HKG-TPE sectors, request before 15.4.2016
- for the HKG-HND / HND-HKG sectors, request after 15.4.2016
how did u get "1.25 sectors = 18.75 club points after conversion"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.