Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Related threads:

What are the best value segments under the new system?

Switching out of Marco Polo: What do you choose and why?

FAQs as answered by AgencyGuy:

When will the mid-tier benefits be awarded?
They will be awarded as the member hits the mid-tier milestone. Not at the end of the membership year. These will be valid for a year commencing the day they are granted. No points are deduced when members are awarded these benefits.

Does that mean a member reaching 1800 tier points will get all three mid-tier benefits?
Yes, each benefit will be made available as the member hits the 1400, 1600 and 1800 point milestones

What mid-tier benefits will be awarded as of the conversion date of 15 April 2016?
The mid-tier benefits will kick in automatically after 15th April, if your converted club points balance exceeds the mid-tier thresholds. So for a Diamond tier member, if your converted balance is 1800 points you will immediately have access to two first class lounge guest passes, four bookable upgrades and one companion Gold card.

A Gold member on his/her way to Diamond pick up four short/medium upgrades along the way, but a renewing Diamond gets nothing?
You are correct, Silver, Gold or Diamond members on their way to renewal, dont get additional benefits until they reach the mid-tier thresholds. But they will get there, I guess the benefits are designed to recognize members who go the extra mile after they have passed their renewal thresholds.

Is there any requirement on the underlying booking sub-classes when using a mid-tier upgrade "coupon"?
Yes, the original flight needs to be booked in an upgradable sub-class, the same sub-classes that qualify for Asia Miles upgrades

Is economy upgraded to Premium Economy or business for flights with Premium Economy?
It is always a one class upgrade so Economy to Premium Economy, if a flight does not have Premium Economy then the upgrade is to Business.

Are the sub-classes for the upgraded bookings A, I, and E (if applicable)?
I dont know what these subclasses are yet other than that they will be revenue instead of redemption sub-classes. I guess they will be announced later.

What miles will be awarded for a flight upgraded using a upgrade coupon? The original ticket class, or the upgraded class?
I understand that both points and miles will be credited based on the upgraded class.

Green Re-Qualification
For Green members, if their membership year ends before 15 April 2016, like now, their membership will automatically be renewed. If their membership ends after 15 April and they have ANY club points at that time, they will be automatically renewed for another year (even if they are below 100 pts). If their membership ends after 15 April and they have no club points at that time, they will lose their Green membership or have the option of paying the US$100 fee to renew.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2015, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by NYC212
Common complaint heard here, easily forgetting the many easy ways to acquire AM without flying -- trust me, I have racked up more than a million of them (while collecting my flying miles on AA). To point out one obvious source, the standard double-miles for overseas spending on credit cards is something US-based people can only dream of. The "free" miles AA gives are usually a one-time bonus for signing up for their own credit cards, something CX offers as well, if not quite as generously. Also on the earn side, AA is extremely stingy with giving credit on CX flights, and on the spend side, AM offers a much better value for regional flying, and in general AM awards are much more flexible, e.g. allowing multiple stopovers.
but HK credit cards almost all have FX fees while finding a US one that offers decent rewards and no FTF is a piece of cake.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 9:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
You mean they all use Unionpay now? I do see an obsession on penny pinching on exchange rate without regard to mile earn - Hongkies are only interested in miles if they perceive they are for free.
or pay cash.
dont know what they are thinking when HSBC gives out a stupid amount of multipliers.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 9:33 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by kaka
or pay cash.
dont know what they are thinking when HSBC gives out a stupid amount of multipliers.
Cos they're Hongkies. That's why Premiermiles has been going on for a decade now.

Good for us...we trade (buy miles) when they flee.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 10:43 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by hermanc
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Oops... I should better spend my AM before its version of quantitative easing.
Earn and burn! Not earn and save! Value of miles are only going to decrease - sooner or later.
I wish. In the past, I usually use my Asia Miles on upgrades for my wife. With the introduction of PEY, we are only using 30K for each SFO-HKG RT upgrade for PEY-J, I found that my family accrue faster than my wife can burn. Then I started to upgrade my daughters, but we are still accruing faster than we can burn. I started using it on myself once a while now.

It did help when I burnt 180K on a F redemption for my mother-in-law last year, but we are repeating the cycle again.

Originally Posted by kaka
Ive spent most of mine already
Yes, I can imagine, with your F redemption.

Originally Posted by jagmeets
cxfan1960- apologies for veering OT...but, I'd like to nominate you for the most creative FT phrase of the year award! Still smiling over the 'quantitative easing' of mileage program.
I have to give the credit to the Bank of Japan and the Federal Reserve Board for creating such an elegant term for printing money. I am only applying that to the CX currency, the Asia Miles, should CX go that way.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 11:40 pm

IYes, I can imagine, with your F redemption
I was to blame. Not F.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 11:46 pm

I have to give the credit to the Bank of Japan and the Federal Reserve Board for creating such an elegant term for printing money. I am only applying that to the CX currency, the Asia Miles, should CX go that way.
I don't think a AM "enhancement" will be that elegant - it'll look more like Grexit (AMxit?), with Ivan Chu playing the part of Tsipras and a run on the bank as we all scramble to ticket before the devaluation.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 11:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A501 Safari/9537.53)

IYes, I can imagine, with your F redemption
I was to blame. Not F.
I dont fly am redemption on f that much was burning jl miles at very nice upgrade rates
Old Oct 5, 2015, 12:46 am

Indeed it is very difficult to earn AA miles on CX Y unless buying expensive codeshares. The other way is much, much easier.

Although a lot of Hong Kong people travel overseas, most people do not want to take "advantage" of the 2X or more miles for overseas spending.

There are very few F revenue flyers now. They will also see MPC (not just other AA) members around them on award and op-up. MPC also did a lot of last minute award releases. Hong Kong people just do not typically go for F award. So I don't think we can blame AA members.

With the introduction of bookable awards, I expect even fewer F awards released in the future.
what is this 2X or more miles for overseas spending?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 12:57 am

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Cos they're Hongkies. That's why Premiermiles has been going on for a decade now.

Good for us...we trade (buy miles) when they flee.
... wait. does Premiermiles allow members to buy miles?

the last time I buying miles was SC Amex where you could use cash to top up for redemptions.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 1:04 am

I apologize if you already clarified the following on mid-tier benefits:

1) Will the mid-tier benefits be granted when:
a) The member reaches a mid-tier milestone, or;
b) At the end of the membership year?

2) Does that mean a member reaching 1800 TP will get all three mid-tier beneits?
a) If the answer is "no", in case a DM does not want an extra Gold card, does he/she have to stop accruing TP after 1600 TP?

3) Does a Gold member on his/her way to Diamond will pick up four short/medium upgrades along the way, but a renewing DM gets nothing?

4) If the answer to (1) is at end of the membership year, when the member reaches 1800 TP, there will not be any more mid-tier benefits, will he/she get the last mid-tier benefit immediately or have to wait until the end of his/her membership year?
Hi there

Some answers below.

They will be awarded as the member hits the mid-tier milestone. Not at the end of the membership year. These will be valid for a year commencing the day they are granted. No points are deduced when members are awarded these benefits.

Does that mean a member reaching 1800 tier points will get all three mid-tier benefits?
Yes, each benefit will be made available as the member hits the 1400, 1600 and 1800 point milestones

A Gold member on his/her way to Diamond pick up four short/medium upgrades along the way, but a renewing Diamond gets nothing?
You are correct, Silver, Gold or Diamond members on their way to renewal, dont get additional benefits until they reach the mid-tier thresholds. But they will get there, I guess the benefits are designed to recognize members who go the extra mile after they have passed their renewal thresholds.

Your addition questions in another thread:

Is there any requirement on the underlying booking sub-classes?
Yes, the original flight needs to be booked in an upgradable sub-class, the same sub-classes that qualify for Asia Miles upgrades

Is economy upgraded to Premium Economy or business for flights with Premium Economy?
It is always a one class upgrade so Economy to Premium Economy, if a flight does not have Premium Economy then the upgrade is to Business.

I dont know what these subclasses are yet other than that they will be revenue instead of redemption sub-classes. I guess they will be announced later.

Best Wishes

AgencyGuy
Old Oct 5, 2015, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by AgencyGuy
Hi there

Some answers below.

Your addition questions in another thread:

Is there any requirement on the underlying booking sub-classes?

Best Wishes

AgencyGuy
Thank very much for the answers. I do have a suggestion that I hope you can reflect to the MPC team on:

It is unfair that a Gold member hitting 1000 TP gets 4 bookable upgrades for short/medium sectors, but a DM reaching 1000 TP by end of membership year will not only drop to Gold, but will also not be able to get that those upgrades. That may negate the incentive for Gold member at 1000 TP to fly the extra miles for the next 200 TP. If so, I would suggest that members can opt out on the Diamond tier so they can retain the possibility of getting upgrades at 1000 TP as a Gold member.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 1:26 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF

Thanks for the clarifications, AgencyGuy!

For some, being a high value GO might just be better than being a low value DM!
Old Oct 5, 2015, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by jagmeets
Thanks for the clarifications, AgencyGuy!

For some, being a high value GO might just be better than being a low value DM!
I feel the same.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by jkuok
what is this 2X or more miles for overseas spending?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...hk-2015-a.html Wiki:

Full list:

I. Overseas
** ++ 1. [to 31 Dec 15] HSBC - 1 mile / $1.85(Visa Signature)/$2.78(other HSBC) spent# (select Overseas Spending category only) ($300 fee for a year's worth of redemptions)
2. [to 30 April 16] (if online) DBS Eminent - 1 mile per $15 + 6% spending credit rebate (Minimum any spending (online spending inclusive) $5,000 per month, maximum rabate $300 (i.e.online spending $5,000) per month) (no fee) - *registration required*
3. [to 31 Dec 15] (if online / paywave) CCB HK eye Card - 1 mile / $2.14 (inclusive of 5X online bonus and (2X extra overseas bonus ) ($50 per 5,000 miles AM min $100)
4. [to 31 Dec 15] Shacom Diamond Unionpay - 1 mile per $2.67 spent (first $50,000 spend only) ($10 per 1,000AM min $100 max $500)
5. [to 28 Feb 16] Fubon Platinum / Titanium - 1 mile / $3 spent ($50/5,000AM min $250 max $500) (plus 167 Sure win miles if txn amt >$600)
Note: 1 mile per $0.6 for TWD spendings in Taiwan (max $10,000/year), and 1 mile per $1.5 for KRW and JPY spendings in Korea and Japan (Seperate registration needed, max $20,000/month, two months per calendar year max)
** ++ 5. Citibank Prestige / Premiermiles - 1 mile per $4 spent (no fee)
6. DBS Black World Master / Amex - 1 mile per $4 spent overseas (no fee) Note 1
7. Amex CX Elite - 1 mile per $4 spent (automatic conversion)
8. CCB HK Platinum Visa / Platinum Master / Titanium Master - 1 mile per $5 ($50 per 5,000 miles AM min $100)
** 9. [from 2 May 14] SCB Priority Banking Visa Infinite - 1 mile per $5 spent (first time redemption from 8 April to 31 March 2015 free, $300 flat fee redemption thereafter)
It's not really double anymore, given our benchmark earn rate on local spending is $5/mile (BEA Flyer World) and generally-available overseas earn rate (without promotions) is $3/mile (Fubon Plat/Titanium). The Flyer World has more fees and a worse earn rate than Fubon overseas though, so I never take it overseas unless there's another overseas earn promo being offered simultaneously.

Generally for foreign spending a HK-based traveller such as I have the following options (in ascending order of cost):

[Benchmark - Bloomberg/Yahoo - generally not accessible unless you're a wholesale bank]
[Visa/Mastercard - Bloomberg/Yahoo plus a very small spread - a few basis points]
1. Unionpay credit card - no fee (but Hongkies generally ignore Unionpay rate being off V/M by around 0.5% - e.g. for USD it's 0.29%, THB it's 0.71%, KRW about 1.0%, JPY -0.45%, GBP 0.67% and EUR 0.04% http://hk.ttrate.com/en_us/)
2. Unionpay ATM card - 0.5% over V/M as above plus $15/approx $3,000 withdrawal fees (0.5% for a total of 1% over V/M rate plus whatever the overseas ATM operator wants to rortcharge)
3. Visa/Mastercard ATM card for 1% fee plus $25/approx $3,000 withdrawal fees (around 0.83% for a total of 1.83% over V/M rate plus overseas ATM operator's charge)
4. Visa/Mastercard credit card for 1.95% fee (1.85% if Fubon)

I generally don't convert cash at money changers. I'm about to make a big exception but generally I don't. The rate can be anything from very near V/M to 10% when my mum has her branch manger convert KRW and bring it to her in person.

Obviously I haven't valued miles. No miles for (2) and (3)
Using HK$0.1/mile valuation, Fubon V/M (4) nets $3/mile or 3.33% rebate equivalent, so you actually cover the 1.85% fee and get 1.48% ahead of V/M/wholesale rate
Unionpay (1) (Bankcomm Diamond >=$300 overseas) earns $6/mile or 1.67% rebate equivalent, so you end up 1.17% ahead.

And of course V/M is accepted in far more places other than touristy places in Asia. Of course it may be DCCed.

The hongkongcard.com crowd doesn't accept $0.1/mile valuation so I calculate the breakeven valuation they need to make spending on Fubon work for them. For HK$100 spent overseas, breakeven valuation of miles y:

33.33y - $1.85 = 16.67y - $0.5
16.67y = 1.35
y = $0.081

Last edited by percysmith; Oct 5, 2015 at 1:40 am
Old Oct 5, 2015, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by Psychiatrist
... wait. does Premiermiles allow members to buy miles?

the last time I buying miles was SC Amex where you could use cash to top up for redemptions.
No, I mean we use cards like Fubon overseas to de facto "buy" miles when Hongkies avoid it because of the perceived costs:

- using Fubon V/M in lieu of Bankcomm Diamond Unionpay to de facto "buy" miles at $0.081 above

- using Fubon V/M in lieu of Citibank Premiermiles to avoid the $250/year conversion fee (but earn 25% less miles overseas plus forgo extra Japan/Korea/Taiwan earns)

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
but HK credit cards almost all have FX fees while finding a US one that offers decent rewards and no FTF is a piece of cake.
Well a Unionpay card above is as close to a FTF-free card for HK, but in reality its exchange rates are 0.5% more expensive than V/M rate before fee.

(happy to continue discussing Asia Miles credit cards in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...hk-2015-a.html . Sorry sxc for this side discussion)

Last edited by percysmith; Oct 5, 2015 at 2:01 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.