Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Related threads:

What are the best value segments under the new system?

Switching out of Marco Polo: What do you choose and why?

FAQs as answered by AgencyGuy:

When will the mid-tier benefits be awarded?
They will be awarded as the member hits the mid-tier milestone. Not at the end of the membership year. These will be valid for a year commencing the day they are granted. No points are deduced when members are awarded these benefits.

Does that mean a member reaching 1800 tier points will get all three mid-tier benefits?
Yes, each benefit will be made available as the member hits the 1400, 1600 and 1800 point milestones

What mid-tier benefits will be awarded as of the conversion date of 15 April 2016?
The mid-tier benefits will kick in automatically after 15th April, if your converted club points balance exceeds the mid-tier thresholds. So for a Diamond tier member, if your converted balance is 1800 points you will immediately have access to two first class lounge guest passes, four bookable upgrades and one companion Gold card.

A Gold member on his/her way to Diamond pick up four short/medium upgrades along the way, but a renewing Diamond gets nothing?
You are correct, Silver, Gold or Diamond members on their way to renewal, don’t get additional benefits until they reach the mid-tier thresholds. But they will get there, I guess the benefits are designed to recognize members who go the extra mile after they have passed their renewal thresholds.

Is there any requirement on the underlying booking sub-classes when using a mid-tier upgrade "coupon"?
Yes, the original flight needs to be booked in an “upgradable” sub-class, the same sub-classes that qualify for Asia Miles upgrades

Is economy upgraded to Premium Economy or business for flights with Premium Economy?
It is always a one class upgrade so Economy to Premium Economy, if a flight does not have Premium Economy then the upgrade is to Business.

Are the sub-classes for the upgraded bookings A, I, and E (if applicable)?
I don’t know what these subclasses are yet other than that they will be revenue instead of redemption sub-classes. I guess they will be announced later.

What miles will be awarded for a flight upgraded using a upgrade coupon? The original ticket class, or the upgraded class?
I understand that both points and miles will be credited based on the upgraded class.

Green Re-Qualification
For Green members, if their membership year ends before 15 April 2016, like now, their membership will automatically be renewed. If their membership ends after 15 April and they have ANY club points at that time, they will be automatically renewed for another year (even if they are below 100 pts). If their membership ends after 15 April and they have no club points at that time, they will lose their Green membership or have the option of paying the US$100 fee to renew.
Print Wikipost

Changes to MPC announced for 15 Apr 2016

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2016, 3:07 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
It will be by the flight number on the ticket. If you book HKG-YVR and YVR-JFK on the same plane but on two separate tickets then you'll get credit for two segments. If you just have a ticket that says HKG-JFK then it's one segment.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 6:35 am

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Yes that's right. If it's on a separate e-ticket then you'll have the two flights counted separately.

Same applies for HKG-BKK-SIN and HKG-TPE-ICN/FUK etc.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 9:58 pm

Programs: AC 75K, SPG P, CX SL
Does anyone know how to sign up for the MPC right now? The phonelines all say do it online, but the website has been saying "down for maintenance" for like a month...
Old Mar 3, 2016, 11:16 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by ceaton
Does anyone know how to sign up for the MPC right now? The phonelines all say do it online, but the website has been saying "down for maintenance" for like a month...
This posters experience says it can't be done:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...-polo-now.html

I don't know if this is really deliberate attempt to stop people from getting Green for a cheaper price? If so, it would be turning away a lot of business - what about those people who are flying J class on CX for the first time, and they stop them from joining the program that might make them ultimately loyal?

Have you actually spoken to a person who says that you can only join up online?
Old Mar 4, 2016, 12:56 am

Programs: AC 75K, SPG P, CX SL
Originally Posted by sxc
This posters experience says it can't be done:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...-polo-now.html

I don't know if this is really deliberate attempt to stop people from getting Green for a cheaper price? If so, it would be turning away a lot of business - what about those people who are flying J class on CX for the first time, and they stop them from joining the program that might make them ultimately loyal?

Have you actually spoken to a person who says that you can only join up online?
No, the phone tree doesn't give you the option. Once you select not a member/want to join it just tells you to go to their website to sign up.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 5:54 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Perhaps use the contact us link on the web page to send an inquiry.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 4:53 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Received in my email today:

"Helping you transition to the new programme
With the change to a new points-based system on 15 April 2016, we are easing the Green-tier renewal requirements for the first year — any club points held at the end of your current membership year will grant you an automatic membership renewal; thereafter, 100 club points or USD100 will be needed. Green members will still enjoy priority check-in and boarding as before, plus a new mid-tier benefit of a Business Class Lounge Pass at 200 club points. Find out more. "
Old Mar 8, 2016, 8:39 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Marco Polo, Skywards, Etihad Guest, IHG, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by percysmith
Received in my email today:

"Helping you transition to the new programme
With the change to a new points-based system on 15 April 2016, we are easing the Green-tier renewal requirements for the first year — any club points held at the end of your current membership year will grant you an automatic membership renewal; thereafter, 100 club points or USD100 will be needed. Green members will still enjoy priority check-in and boarding as before, plus a new mid-tier benefit of a Business Class Lounge Pass at 200 club points. Find out more. "
OOT, i've been receiving this e-mail like 4-5 times now. I am super annoyed

On the other hand, my colleague tried to join Marco Polo via website and the website didn't work. This was yesterday March 8
Old Mar 8, 2016, 8:59 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

I wonder how much "grace" CX will give to SL / GO / DM that drop off in the first year of the system.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 8:05 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
One (small) change I think is inevitable, apologies if posted before, is....the "early reset" feature for DMs.

Ie, the extra month DMs get at the end - if they cross the 120k threshold early enough - will be no more. For example, if your year ends June 30, typically in the past if you were already at 120k miles by May 31 - doing DM in at least 11 months instead of 12 - your year would reset in early June. This in essence gave you a 13 month year if you needed to dip into the cookie jar. It was never really relevant except for one year, but still was a nice feature.

Now, because CX is offering DMs benefits beyond 1200 points (previously 120k miles), presumably there will not be an early reset? Is this correct?
Old Mar 11, 2016, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288
One (small) change I think is inevitable, apologies if posted before, is....the "early reset" feature for DMs.

Ie, the extra month DMs get at the end - if they cross the 120k threshold early enough - will be no more. For example, if your year ends June 30, typically in the past if you were already at 120k miles by May 31 - doing DM in at least 11 months instead of 12 - your year would reset in early June. This in essence gave you a 13 month year if you needed to dip into the cookie jar. It was never really relevant except for one year, but still was a nice feature.

Now, because CX is offering DMs benefits beyond 1200 points (previously 120k miles), presumably there will not be an early reset? Is this correct?
Almost certainly. Following the BA model (as that's what CX seems to have copied) the reset point is inflexible regardless of how many points you have accrued over the threshold, partly because of the mid tier accrual bonuses.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 2:16 pm

Programs: CX DM, SPG GO
I think this has not been asked anywhere - are we able to book flights flying post-15Apr using V class guarantee now?
Old Mar 14, 2016, 1:20 am

Hi all, since I will have some Asiamiles expiring in August, does it make sense for me to redeem some flights now? Will the new changes to the ponits system mean my current miles worth less after the changes take in place or no difference?

Sorry, but Im a little confused by it :/
Old Mar 14, 2016, 1:45 am

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Has anybody received new-logo MPC cards / luggage tags yet?

If yes, I'd like to request a new set.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 2:16 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by alan945
Hi all, since I will have some Asiamiles expiring in August, does it make sense for me to redeem some flights now? Will the new changes to the ponits system mean my current miles worth less after the changes take in place or no difference?
The points system is purely for attaining MPC Status. As I understand it there have been no changes announced to the redemption prices for AsiaMiles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.