Wiki Posts
Search

BA AMS lounge permanently closed

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2023, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
AY and IB would be operating within the Schengen area I believe, so a lounge in a non-schengen area would not be of use for IB and AY passengers
AA doesn't fly to AMS iirc
That only would leave QR , CX and BA . QR and CX seem to have 1 flight a day each
For QR and CX, operating their own lounge for 1 flight seems excessive and logical to just pay for a contact lounge to provide service. Whether it is worth BA running a lounge would surely depend on cost of lounge space and opeating cost vs cost per person to a 3rd party.
Nope. AA does fly to AMS.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 12:23 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There are some photos upthread, but this gives a wider view and illustrates the size, which is somewhat restricted.

lsquare, HadesNL and Delboy65 like this.
Old Jun 10, 2023, 2:07 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Not much to report here. Can’t see much different from when h was last here in May.

HadesNL and timfarr1 like this.
Old Jun 10, 2023, 3:48 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by irishguy28
If BA as the busiest oneworld airline at AMS could no longer see a case for having a lounge, I don't see why the alliance itself - or any of the other members active at AMS in a lesser capacity than BA - would reach the opposite conclusion.
How does oneworld’s current presence at AMS compare with DME (pre-Covid)? DME was slated for the first oneworld lounge and correct me if I am wrong, this was to be in addition to S7’s domestic lounge
Old Jun 10, 2023, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by Prospero
How does oneworld’s current presence at AMS compare with DME (pre-Covid)? DME was slated for the first oneworld lounge and correct me if I am wrong, this was to be in addition to S7’s domestic lounge
Doesn’t really work as a comparison as AMS ops are split into Schengen and non-Schengen, while DME had domestic (S7 only) and International (everyone, including JL who were one of the driving forces behind it). I’d love them to find somewhere for the concept to work though.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2023, 6:36 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by Confus
Doesn’t really work as a comparison as AMS ops are split into Schengen and non-Schengen, while DME had domestic (S7 only) and International (everyone, including JL who were one of the driving forces behind it). I’d love them to find somewhere for the concept to work though.
The calculation would be based on DME international and comparing this with AMS non-Schengen numbers.

DME was served by seven oneworld airlines prior to covid (AT, BA, CX, IB, JL, QR, RJ); AMS (non-Schengen) currently amounts to six (AA, AT, BA, CX, RJ, QR). The numbers probalbly aren't massively different but I suppose growth potential is another factor which is difficult for us to quantify.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 4:36 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Passed through the Cafe Flor "lounge" last week. Staff unsure when things would change , works are "not on schedule".
timfarr1 and Luther.e like this.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 6:02 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Popped into Flor today. It's adequate I suppose as a temporary stopgap but I still cannot believe how poor the overall lounge situation is. I don't have any stats, but having flown the route for many many years I would be astonished if it were not one of the more premium destinations in the network. Admittedly C fares are largely going to be for connecting traffic (although I do know a few people that will fly business even for point to point A'dam flights) but given the amount of business in and around Amsterdam, and just based on what I observe, it must surely have a high number of status passengers who would make use of a lounge. If I were flying the route just a bit more regularly, I would consider switching to KLM- though the fact that they fly into T4 might disadvantage them.
timfarr1 and SxMan like this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 3:26 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Refurbishment is taking longer, lounge won't reopen until somewhere near the end of the year according to a message of Swissport to airlines/other clients.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 4:36 am

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
I do know a few people that will fly business even for point to point A'dam flights) but given the amount of business in and around Amsterdam, and just based on what I observe, it must surely have a high number of status passengers who would make use of a lounge.
I have completely abandoned AMS and it’s RTM every time for me now – not least, because the deterioration in service from LGW but also the complete chaos at Schiphol😬. It is sad because AMS was my favourite lounge back when it was run by actual airline staff. They seem to know regular passengers and we were very well looked after.
Fritz, EuropeanPete, bafan and 5 others like this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 11:45 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
AMS seems to be much better with security queues this year. However, I am still seeing some pretty awful arrivals immigrations queues sometimes, with long lines before you are even allowed to go down to the immigration hall.
SxMan and Luther.e like this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 11:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Security at AMS was excellent last Sunday evening. Immigration on the Friday evening was awful.

And the Sunday evening flight was delayed and we couldn't get into the 'lounge' as it was closing. Was very surprised for such a route at the poor offering.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 12:02 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by KARFA
AMS seems to be much better with security queues this year. However, I am still seeing some pretty awful arrivals immigrations queues sometimes, with long lines before you are even allowed to go down to the immigration hall.
And the inbound immigration issue is only going to get worse over the summer. KMar insist they are not short staffed however acknowledge that they won't be providing enough to AMS to avoid huge queues, particularly for arrivals because they will be focussing on providing staffing for departures and connections so that they aren't slated like last year for making people miss their flights. This means the D-pier immigration being closed a lot and having to walk round to E so that they can maintain one huge non-EU queue in that corral Schiphol has made before the one-way doors.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
Originally Posted by KARFA
The issues really are with immigration; I signed up for a Dutch AMEX just so I can get Privium as I cannot avail myself of the EU lines.

Originally Posted by Airprox
And the inbound immigration issue is only going to get worse over the summer. KMar insist they are not short staffed however acknowledge that they won't be providing enough to AMS to avoid huge queues, particularly for arrivals because they will be focussing on providing staffing for departures and connections so that they aren't slated like last year for making people miss their flights. This means the D-pier immigration being closed a lot and having to walk round to E so that they can maintain one huge non-EU queue in that corral Schiphol has made before the one-way doors.
This is such a joke. I routinely encounter a single agent for the entire non-EU line and it seems additional agents will only come once (and only if, never before) the line reaches outside the hall and exceeds an hour of wait time.

Originally Posted by Erwin10
Refurbishment is taking longer, lounge won't reopen until somewhere near the end of the year according to a message of Swissport to airlines/other clients.
Swissport manager was on my HEL-AMS flight the other day and told his colleague they’re very worried it may not be done until Jan.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 3:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Flying Blue Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Has anyone had much experience of trying to bypass the queues at E gates by "transferring from Non-Schenegen to Schenegen" area round the corner from the human clock? I just wondered if immigration insist you have a boarding pass? I know there are certain times of the day where that transition area is extremely busy, so would avoid then, but wondered if you are allowed to go through that route without a boarding pass as the exit is pretty close once you get through there, plus you'll come through by carousel 2 which is usually where LHR BA baggage is used? Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.