BA AMS lounge permanently closed

Old Aug 15, 2023, 4:37 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
1 December- grrrr. Wasn't this supposed to be done by July?
SxMan likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 4:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
I've not flown in to AMS for a while but was considering a brief trip Nov/Dec - how bad is the 'cafe lounge' situation, is the distillation of the above "cramped and nothing drinkable/edible"?
Old Aug 15, 2023, 6:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by drwook
I've not flown in to AMS for a while but was considering a brief trip Nov/Dec - how bad is the 'cafe lounge' situation, is the distillation of the above "cramped and nothing drinkable/edible"?
Cramped yes. On the "nothing edible" front I've long learned that on FT this is so personal. So to take a completely different issue, we have people here moaning about beef cheeks and other moaning the lack of beef cheeks. So there is food and drink, I have consumed both and appear not to have been killed in the process, so I guess everything else is a bonus?
YacozA, AJA_, ambpark and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 10:45 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Might have re-opened when we fly home on December 31 then
Old Aug 15, 2023, 10:48 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by frankvb
Might have re-opened when we fly home on December 31 then
Yes, definitely by 31st December this year, or next, or some future year
frankvb likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 11:09 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List & GfL, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by drwook
I was there on Sunday evening with several BA departures due within 60 minutes. Caf Flor was busy but places to sit. Catering was much better than the Aspire Lounge last time I was there, as was the service. I wouldnt avoid going to Amsterdam just because of the temporary lounge!
EDDLEGLL likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:08 pm

Programs: BA GGL
The Caf Flor set up is really not bad. I appreciate the proximity to the BA gates (and the fact that its literally on the way), the bar is efficient, and the snacks are ok.

You wont find extensive hot dining options, but in line with local customs, it has got everything you need (koffiemaaltijd)
Old Sep 4, 2023, 2:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Turning Left for Less claiming scuttlebutt from staff that the AMS lounge will be becoming a oneworld lounge and be larger than the BA space...

Now staff at Amsterdam have been saying that a new oneworld lounge will open where the old lounge was but larger incorporating some or all of the Aspire lounge space. The new lounge is due to open in November 2023. ​​​​​​​
Old Sep 4, 2023, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I would take that "news" with a large dose of salt.
etiene and EDDLEGLL like this.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 2:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by irishguy28
I would take that "news" with a large dose of salt.
No doubt, I still don't see a fundamental difference in the business case for a oneworld lounge versus a BA one - especially a bigger space.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 3:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, KL Platinum, A3 Silver
Originally Posted by etiene
No doubt, I still don't see a fundamental difference in the business case for a oneworld lounge versus a BA one - especially a bigger space.
Yeah, if you look at a random Monday in the winter schedule:

1x CX (12:30)
2x QR (12:35, 15:15)
1x AA (13:05)
1x AT (17:15)

This is in addition to 19x BA.

There is however a clear peak for Oneworld lounge access between 10:00 and 15:00. Maybe they could open it up to Priority Pass after 15:00.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 3:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Before the pandemic there was indeed a plan for Aspire (who operated the BA lounge at the time) to invest in the lounge in return for adding in oneworld passengers. And then after the pandemic we saw the "exciting plans" notice. BHD was an example of a lounge transfer done more smoothly and it's difficult to say that's turned out badly.
EDDLEGLL likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 4:07 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Before COVID there was an official announcement by Oneworld that a series of alliance branded lounges would open at various airports, but nothing substantive has happened since.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 4:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Ghrycllwl
Before COVID there was an official announcement by Oneworld that a series of alliance branded lounges would open at various airports, but nothing substantive has happened since.
I had totally forgotten about that but you are absolutely right!

Regards
Old Sep 4, 2023, 5:03 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by EDDLEGLL
The Caf Flor set up is really not bad. I appreciate the proximity to the BA gates (and the fact that its literally on the way), the bar is efficient, and the snacks are ok.

You wont find extensive hot dining options, but in line with local customs, it has got everything you need (koffiemaaltijd)
The snacks are the same as before, so there is parity. There is zero peace or quiet, but that was the same with Aspire, and tbf also with the BA lounge. The proximity to BA gates is the only actual improvement. ON the downside at least one got a a decent view of the airfield from Aspire, which you don't in Flor.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.