BA AMS lounge permanently closed

Old Dec 15, 2022, 4:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Originally Posted by hsmall
Sorry for being slightly OT but does anyone know whether a Gold (not me, so not GGL) can guest a non-status pax if both are travelling economy? I tried to search for the answer on ba.com but failed.

Thanks a lot!

Harry
In AMS lounges specifically or in general?

From the forum dashboard you can find this very informative guide to lounge access:
BA lounge access guidelines

It's a little out of date but the general gist is correct
Old Dec 15, 2022, 4:19 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Sorry for being slightly OT but does anyone know whether a Gold (not me, so not GGL) can guest a non-status pax if both are travelling economy? I tried to search for the answer on ba.com but failed.

Thanks a lot!

Harry
I always assumed that a ggl/gold/silver guest's status was irrelevant in BA and OW lounges.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)

Thanks a lot!

Harry
In my experience I can guest one person into any lounge associated with BA (contract, oneworld or their own) regardless of class of travel as long as the other person is also travelling oneworld. There's no rule saying they need to be on the same flight but they always have in my case so I can't say if there's any issues with this.

I could imagine problems with non-oneworld contract lounges where BA uses one lounge and another airline, say QR, uses a different one. Can you guest the QR passenger into the lounge BA uses (remember non-oneworld contract lounges state passenger must be travelling on these airlines only).

Also worth mentioning the extra guests a GGL gets are only valid in BA operated lounges, so this benefit isn't as useful as before these closures.
SxMan likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 4:57 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
My point was that what remains of my brain had in mind that you could not guest people into lounges operated by third parties such as Aspire and I therefore wondered if there might be an exception granted that the Aspire lounge might (or might not) be a temporary offer while the BA lounge was being refurbished. But if I am simply misremembering then the situation does not arise and my Gold friend can always guest his non-status companion into any BA associated lounge, BA operated or third party.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 5:00 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
So third party lounges should and usually do normally adhere to the guesting rules - I haven't seen anything to the contrary for AMS.
hsmall and alex67500 like this.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 7:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Silver
Visited the Aspire lounge in Amsterdam Schiphol this morning. There is a new notice on the door of the old BA lounge next door that reads: "Dear passenger, our lounge is closed due to exciting development plans we are working on, In the meantime we have arranged access to the Aspire lounge next door...."

Will be great if a dedicated BA lounge reopens this year. Anyone heard anything more?
Old Feb 17, 2023, 7:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Yellowbelly
Visited the Aspire lounge in Amsterdam Schiphol this morning. There is a new notice on the door of the old BA lounge next door that reads: "Dear passenger, our lounge is closed due to exciting development plans we are working on, In the meantime we have arranged access to the Aspire lounge next door...."

Will be great if a dedicated BA lounge reopens this year. Anyone heard anything more?
That notice has been there for quite some time, at least a year.
ermis177, DelTroon and SxMan like this.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 8:03 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club - Silver, Nectar, Tesco
Originally Posted by Yellowbelly

I was there a fortnight ago, popped next door and mentioned it to the rather nice Guardian of the Lounge who said that BA were not going to return and that they were going to expand their own area into that one
SxMan likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 8:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
"Exciting developments" seem to be Sean Doyle-era BA-speak for "Enhancements".
ermis177 and SxMan like this.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 9:05 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by mjh0
"Exciting developments" seem to be Sean Doyle-era BA-speak for "Enhancements".
If youre not excited about opportunities to cut costs, then what are you even doing on the BA leadership team?
bafan, JustTheOne, mjh0 and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 9:15 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by IJN Harekaze
I was there a fortnight ago, popped next door and mentioned it to the rather nice Guardian of the Lounge who said that BA were not going to return and that they were going to expand their own area into that one
Truly rubbish, if true.

Have any of the board royalty had a conversation with their BA contacts about this - and whether exciting developments means what it says or is just more BA speak for a cut ?
Old Feb 17, 2023, 11:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by bafan
Truly rubbish, if true.

Have any of the board royalty had a conversation with their BA contacts about this - and whether exciting developments means what it says or is just more BA speak for a cut ?
IIRC that notice was posted before the decision to close it was announced.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 1:13 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club - Silver, Nectar, Tesco
Originally Posted by bafan
Truly rubbish, if true.

Have any of the board royalty had a conversation with their BA contacts about this - and whether ‘exciting developments’ means what it says or is just more BA speak for a cut ?
It is not rubbish - it is what I was told

I asked why and the lady behind the desk said that it was more cost affective and she'd moved over from there
Old Feb 17, 2023, 4:40 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by IJN Harekaze
It is not rubbish - it is what I was told

I asked why and the lady behind the desk said that it was more cost affective and she'd moved over from there
I meant the loss of the BA lounge, not your post
Old Mar 14, 2023, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Aspire Lounge closed for renovation from 13-03-2023 for at least 3 months

Just to note, in case it hasn't been posted elsewhere (I did look, this seemed the most likely place)

The Aspire Lounge 41 at Schiphol closed yesterday for renovation works. It's scheduled to be closed for at least 3 months (though on their website it's not available to book for ANY future date).

I guess this will involve expansion into the abandoned BA space.

In the meantime, BA customers can head to the "Caf Flor" near Gate D7.

Intriguingly, the Schiphol website says Caf Flor is closed - so whether this is some ramshackle way of doling out free coffee just for BA pax, or whether it's just a voucher towards a normal spend in a caf that has actually re-opened for all and sundry, I do not know.

I will be interested to read the reviews

https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges?location=AMS
https://www.schiphol.nl/en/at-schiph...ties/cafe-flor
Attached Images   

Last edited by irishguy28; Mar 14, 2023 at 10:31 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.