Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2022, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo

Easier to 'exit' and go back thru landslide security normally, if you have fast track and armed with BP.
I hate to disagree and I'd also hate anyone to miss their flight; it is absolutely not easier to exit, go landside and back through security, Fast Track or not. If you follow Flight Connections and go via the escalator at baggage claim 1 you get inserted into the security screening queue near the very front. Full set of photos of the arrival and Flight Connection route is here DUB arrivals from BA LHR

I've done this twice in the last month and both times could have made a B2B on the aircraft that I got off, they were pre-boarding by the time I got to the gate. In August I tried going landside and back through, even with Fast Track this took an hour.

I know pax numbers should be reducing for the winter but Dublin security is slow at the best of times.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 2:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I don’t think that connection route is open all day.

Tbh the couple of times I have gone through DUB over the last month I went landside. Fast track wasn’t busy, and despite a secondary both times I could have easily made the b2b if I had been doing it.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 8:22 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by Spongthrush
I hate to disagree and I'd also hate anyone to miss their flight; it is absolutely not easier to exit, go landside and back through security, Fast Track or not. If you follow Flight Connections and go via the escalator at baggage claim 1 you get inserted into the security screening queue near the very front. Full set of photos of the arrival and Flight Connection route is here DUB arrivals from BA LHR

I've done this twice in the last month and both times could have made a B2B on the aircraft that I got off, they were pre-boarding by the time I got to the gate. In August I tried going landside and back through, even with Fast Track this took an hour.

I know pax numbers should be reducing for the winter but Dublin security is slow at the best of times.
I purposely booked a later return as opposed a b2b flight and I am glad I did. I got to the flight connections in good time, but for some reason my hand luggage got picked up for security check. They took everything out, put it through the scanner twice more and in the end they gave it back to me and said "thank you, you can go". Then walked to the gate to see at what stage of the turnaround the flight was. They had pushed back! I then went to the lounge and waited for my flight. Had I not been held at security, I would have made the return fight. Moral of the story...you never know, so have plan B ready!
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 9:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I've got a little jaunt to the US next month with a couple of days in LA. Was looking at hotel prices and things like the HIX at LAX are £231 for a night! $512 inc. tax if I want to stay 2 nights, so I'm thinking, no! More than my flights cost....
Either I'll book a cheap hostel in Santa Monica, and/or a cheap flight somewhere (only £152 to fly LAX-SFO-JFK in MCE, or £79+ to go to Las Vegas, although some hotels there are stupidly priced as well........over £200 for the Luxor?)
Old Oct 9, 2022, 9:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by xenole
I've got a little jaunt to the US next month with a couple of days in LA. Was looking at hotel prices and things like the HIX at LAX are £231 for a night! $512 inc. tax if I want to stay 2 nights, so I'm thinking, no! More than my flights cost....
Either I'll book a cheap hostel in Santa Monica, and/or a cheap flight somewhere (only £152 to fly LAX-SFO-JFK in MCE, or £79+ to go to Las Vegas, although some hotels there are stupidly priced as well........over £200 for the Luxor?)
I’m guessing it’s the weekend?
BravoKilo likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 9:42 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Honolulu prices are worse, but it seems to me there is nothing really cheap these days - and well into 2023 - for US hotels. It's a thing to consider carefully when planning TP runs in US, as the hotel prices can really shoot up the total cost, unless one has enough hotel points to put to good use. Also, the current exchange rates don't help at all.
If it was me, if there were enough decent hotels at decent prices, I would go to LAS, but that's also because I would not fly a transcon in MCE (I'm too old and out of shape for that )
Discovery Bay likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Lefly
Honolulu prices are worse, but it seems to me there is nothing really cheap these days - and well into 2023 - for US hotels. It's a thing to consider carefully when planning TP runs in US, as the hotel prices can really shoot up the total cost, unless one has enough hotel points to put to good use. Also, the current exchange rates don't help at all.
If it was me, if there were enough decent hotels at decent prices, I would go to LAS, but that's also because I would not fly a transcon in MCE (I'm too old and out of shape for that )
That's why I tend to blow say 30k points on an airport hotel for the night.

Some Las Vegas hotels are down to a 1/5th of the weekend price mid-week.
To be honest, once I've spent $20 in Las Vegas gambling, I tend to walk. Can't be bothered throwing away more after that's gone.

Had a look at various other places, even places where you wouldn't think weekend nights would be too busy, and they're not much better, or the flight prices aren't justifiable.

Did a transcon in MCE earlier in the year (SFO to PHL, so not a 321T) and had the row to myself, so a poor man's bed. 5hrs or so ex-LAX isn't too bad especially if you were half cut on champagne from the QF lounge Worked out a lot cheaper than a hotel.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 10:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
With 2 months left to year end I think I'll be about 820 TPs short of GGL (on the reduced scale). Based out of the UK, I've got some work holiday I need to use or lose so have a couple of days spare. Any suggestions?
Old Oct 9, 2022, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by tinkicker
With 2 months left to year end I think I'll be about 820 TPs short of GGL (on the reduced scale). Based out of the UK, I've got some work holiday I need to use or lose so have a couple of days spare. Any suggestions?
Can't see something like that being cheap at all (especially if you've only a couple of spare days).
Perhaps a BA Holiday from MAN-LHR-JFK in CW with 5 days car hire could earn 720TP but would probably come in at £3k (+ maybe redemption flights, or cheap Y flights there and back?).
i.e. early flight from MAN-LHR, and get to JFK by lunchtime. Back same day on a nested flight. Back 4-5 days later.

There's things such as LHR-SOF but those might be £400-£500 for a same day return now, and you would need at least 5 of those anyway (unless you used the holiday option).
Not sure if you could do, say, Thurs 17th Nov LHR-SOF and come back on Tues 22nd Nov. Around £391 as a BA holiday which should yield 320TP. About €600 for the nested returns on the 17th / 22nd though (could be reduced with Avios). 480TP for <£1k.

Last edited by xenole; Oct 9, 2022 at 10:51 am
Old Oct 9, 2022, 10:44 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
I did my TPR to LAX in August and spent 2 nts in Courtyard by Marriott LAX. Cost £351 for the 2 nts, and included breakfast and free shuttle. Used Booking.com via BA app to get Avios for booking. No idea what the current prices are.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by higham44
I did my TPR to LAX in August and spent 2 nts in Courtyard by Marriott LAX. Cost £351 for the 2 nts, and included breakfast and free shuttle. Used Booking.com via BA app to get Avios for booking. No idea what the current prices are.
Cost me around £160 for a runway view corner room at the H LAX earlier in the year. Some prices are double that now.
Lefly likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 10:55 am

Programs: BAEC-GGL, GFL, *A Gold, Hilton Diamond , IHG Diamond/Ambassador
This worked a few days ago. Wrapped in a BA holiday to Lisbon for 160 tp.
Total cost about £2100 plus lax hotel

m8_rotate likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 11:05 am

Nice enough run, although there are some overnights in there that might bump up the cost a bit.
Not sure if the poster just has a couple of spare days, or can spare 5 days or so to do this.

2 days is pretty much going to cost ££££ (F LHR-JFK as a BA Holiday for £5k and nested flights for 50k Avios + £100 in Y or whatever £££).
Longer periods give more flexibility.

Maybe LHR-MAN same day returns might be possible? £250? in CE for 80TP.

Last edited by xenole; Oct 9, 2022 at 11:19 am
Old Oct 10, 2022, 4:23 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR/LTG
I’m travelling on my first TP run for years starting on Wednesday from AGP to LAX stopping in the usual places. First up is AGP to HEL at 1am. Is that going to be as nasty as I imagine it will be? At least my layover is not to bad prior at a couple of hours. The return is even worse!

I think I’ve decided on the H Hotel at LAX for a couple of nights, seems a better option than the Hilton LAX which has some pretty poor reviews now?

I think I’ve got buyers or bookers remorse! It will be worth it in the end to renew GGL at the reduced rate.
our_kid and flyerkit like this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 4:37 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Not cheap but the CDG-BKK F fares on QR might work - i usually do them as BKK-CDG-BKK A class for 4100gbp return yielding 840TPs. not sure how much the CDG-BKK-CDG is though.
joorinainen likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.