Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2022, 11:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Radiation Station
Ah, so you are nesting two separate PNRs? Slightly risky with the one hour turn around in SOF, I guess?
I’ve done it twice before, albeit pre-pandemic, so would be interested to hear views on current B2B arrangements at Sofia.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 11:02 am

Programs: EY Gold, AS MVPG, BAEC Gold, DL PM
Originally Posted by Dicksbits
I’ve done it twice before, albeit pre-pandemic, so would be interested to hear views on current B2B arrangements at Sofia.
Looks like another poster pulled this off successfully last week: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34190546-post933.html
Dicksbits and m8_rotate like this.

Last edited by gforce; Apr 24, 2022 at 11:23 am
Old Apr 24, 2022, 11:56 am

Just booked a nested LHR-SOF for £443 in November and submitted my BPG claims for £20 and £25 - so that should net me roughly £90 across 2 vouchers if BA's customer care ever decide to deal with my claim.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 1:55 pm

Programs: BAEC
I think I am about to book this. Pretty happy with the itinerary which took some work!! The outbound will get me the TPs I need for GGL, so I'm giving myself the treat of avoiding the usual LAX-JFK-LHR with a nice long TATL and a chance to blow an upgrade on the 787-10. Slightly nervous about the 26 minute connection in PHX and I'd rather sleep in PHX than JFK. But with HBO and the gates usually right next to eachother, I should be fine. I'm actually more annoyed about the mega short connection in DFW. I feel like I was able to get 4 hours in DFW yesterday, but the most I can get now is 40 minutes. I'd way rather spend time at the FL with FFD in DFW than the pony Admirals Club in Denver. So I'm wondering if schedule changes will give me room to rearrange things a bit, or failing that, could I attempt a same day flight change and get on a later DFW-DEN? I guess I could also just go straignt from DFW to LHR. Any views on whether upgrade more likely on DFW-LHR vs DEN-LHR? 3 AA flights from DFW, and it's ski season with only 1 BA flight from DEN...?
Attached Images  
our_kid, englisha, skayser and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by RichieMc
I think I am about to book this. Pretty happy with the itinerary which took some work!! The outbound will get me the TPs I need for GGL, so I'm giving myself the treat of avoiding the usual LAX-JFK-LHR with a nice long TATL and a chance to blow an upgrade on the 787-10. Slightly nervous about the 26 minute connection in PHX and I'd rather sleep in PHX than JFK. But with HBO and the gates usually right next to eachother, I should be fine. I'm actually more annoyed about the mega short connection in DFW. I feel like I was able to get 4 hours in DFW yesterday, but the most I can get now is 40 minutes. I'd way rather spend time at the FL with FFD in DFW than the pony Admirals Club in Denver. So I'm wondering if schedule changes will give me room to rearrange things a bit, or failing that, could I attempt a same day flight change and get on a later DFW-DEN? I guess I could also just go straignt from DFW to LHR. Any views on whether upgrade more likely on DFW-LHR vs DEN-LHR? 3 AA flights from DFW, and it's ski season with only 1 BA flight from DEN...?
Yeah that PHX connection is like going all in with a 2 and 7 offsuit. Phoenix is a bigger airport than most seem to realize and it's not really well laid out. Don't think it's gonna work out. And if you miss that flight, I guarantee that there won't be lie-flat availability since those routes are almost always soldout/ oversold. But just something to consider.
snabbu likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
As a reminder PHX-HNL is not a wide-body guaranteed route.
American hasn't finalized their December 2022 schedule at the moment and this route could easily be switched to an A321neo anytime.
Markie likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by ghsbass0406
Yeah that PHX connection is like going all in with a 2 and 7 offsuit. Phoenix is a bigger airport than most seem to realize and it's not really well laid out. Don't think it's gonna work out. And if you miss that flight, I guarantee that there won't be lie-flat availability since those routes are almost always soldout/ oversold. But just something to consider.
Haha! I had to google that reference. I know PHX pretty well. I've easily made sub 1hr conections in the past from C to A. And in recent history, both flights have been at A20-something. Obviously that's not a guarantee. And you're right...there's actually 0 chance of getting a lie flat as the later flight is on an A321. So yes, it's a tight connection. But I was wondering more about how things will shake out when the inevitable schedule changes some through. It could either make the connection impossible and I'd try to get to PHX the night before. Or the connection would lengthen in which case, I'd be safe.

For the inbound trip, I'd assume I'd be able to get later DFW-DEN flight via a same day fight change if all else fails.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
As a reminder PHX-HNL is not a wide-body guaranteed route.
American hasn't finalized their December 2022 schedule at the moment and this route could easily be switched to an A321neo anytime.
Fair point and equipment swaps are always possible. But this flight was on a 787 every sigle day last January and December. This is the least of my worries. Who knows, Maybe I miss the morning flight and the afternoon one ends up being the 787!
Old Apr 24, 2022, 2:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I have a DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-SFO TP run in October, a mixture of BA & AA metal on a 001 ticket.

AA has changed the time of the SFO-LAX flight to 2 hours 24 minutes earlier at 8:01am, which isn't too big of an issue.

However, will this allow me to bring forward my LAX-JFK flight from 1pm to 11am at no cost?

This would allow a much easier connection from T8 to T7 for my BA LHR flight.

Just want to know what AA will allow before I phone.

Thanks, stephenjc

Last edited by stephenjc; Apr 24, 2022 at 2:56 pm
Old Apr 24, 2022, 3:42 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I had something similar on a recent TP run but when I asked AA to bring my 11:59pm LAX-JFK flight forward they said not for free as that wasn’t the sector which had changed. They offered to change it for a few but then there was no I class in any earlier flights plus it was a married segment so everything else had to be recalculated in D class. It wasn’t worth it.
stephenjc likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
I had something similar on a recent TP run but when I asked AA to bring my 11:59pm LAX-JFK flight forward they said not for free as that wasn’t the sector which had changed. They offered to change it for a few but then there was no I class in any earlier flights plus it was a married segment so everything else had to be recalculated in D class. It wasn’t worth it.
Thanks for this. I'll give them a call anyway as I can see I class availability on the 11am flight.
Worse case I spend an extra 90 minutes in the flagship lounge!
Old Apr 24, 2022, 11:28 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by stephenjc
I have a DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-SFO TP run in October, a mixture of BA & AA metal on a 001 ticket.

AA has changed the time of the SFO-LAX flight to 2 hours 24 minutes earlier at 8:01am, which isn't too big of an issue.

However, will this allow me to bring forward my LAX-JFK flight from 1pm to 11am at no cost?

Thanks, stephenjc
Yes they should allow that. AA can be a mixed experience in my experience, you need to be clear that you want to fly via JFK. They will try and stick you on a direct service often.
stephenjc likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by gforce
Just booked a nested LHR-SOF for £443 in November and submitted my BPG claims for £20 and £25 - so that should net me roughly £90 across 2 vouchers if BA's customer care ever decide to deal with my claim.
BA's team actually sent me the voucher just now - surely this is definitely a new record in terms of turnaround time. Absolutely gobsmacked!
Old Apr 25, 2022, 5:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Dimond Amb
Is there any disadvantage to booking a BA TPR on the AA site? AA is linked to Matrix so is easy to book with, and BA's call center isn't currently taking phone bookings? Thanks
Old Apr 25, 2022, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by stephenjc

Thanks, stephenjc
Just phoned the AA UK 0207 phone number, answered within a couple of minutes, flights changed with zero issues. This makes my TP run a lot more comfortable now.
Excellent customer service from AA.
Markie, Earthman, MaxFlyer and 3 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.