Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Old Oct 10, 2022, 4:42 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by BA038_Passenger
I’m travelling on my first TP run for years starting on Wednesday from AGP to LAX stopping in the usual places. First up is AGP to HEL at 1am. Is that going to be as nasty as I imagine it will be? At least my layover is not to bad prior at a couple of hours. The return is even worse!
It is quite brutal, yes. I did it in May. The return is indeed quite brutal too, the flight is OK but you need to find a place to sleep once you get to AGP and the airport hotels are... not so good.

Last edited by alex67500; Oct 10, 2022 at 4:43 am Reason: wrong dates
Old Oct 10, 2022, 4:47 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR/LTG
Originally Posted by alex67500
It is quite brutal, yes. I did it in May. The return is indeed quite brutal too, the flight is OK but you need to find a place to sleep once you get to AGP and the airport hotels are... not so good.
Thanks, I did look at airport hotels and wasn't inspired to book one. Hoping there's a bench somewhere I can rest my head for a couple of hours
Old Oct 10, 2022, 6:21 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Not cheap but the CDG-BKK F fares on QR might work - i usually do them as BKK-CDG-BKK A class for 4100gbp return yielding 840TPs. not sure how much the CDG-BKK-CDG is though.
Thanks all. Negotiating with Mrs Tinkicker about how much I'm allowed to spend so she can use the first wing when I'm not there . I hope to be able to squeeze another work trip or two in so might need less than 700 points.

Really regretting the shortage of BA seats on a couple of routes which meant earlier this year I spilled flights to non-one world carriers. Would have put me over the line.

Last edited by tinkicker; Oct 10, 2022 at 11:39 am
Old Oct 10, 2022, 7:04 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by tinkicker
Thanks all. Negotiating with Mrs Tinkicker about how much the status partner cards are worth but I think 4k for GGL is more than I would spend. 1500 maybe. I hope to be able to squeeze another work trip or two in so might need less than 700 points. Really regretting the shortage of BA seats on a couple of routes which meant earlier this year I spilled flights to non-one world carriers. Would have put me over the line.
What about LHR-DXB on AY together with one AUH-CGK on UL in the middle? It should come at around 2700 eur / 2400 gbp for 920TP if you can find the right dates, like 10/11 to 15/11.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 9:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by BA038_Passenger
Im travelling on my first TP run for years starting on Wednesday from AGP to LAX stopping in the usual places. First up is AGP to HEL at 1am. Is that going to be as nasty as I imagine it will be? At least my layover is not to bad prior at a couple of hours. The return is even worse!
I did two back to backs HEL-AGP-HEL on that overnight flight this summer and it was tiring but not too bad. Details here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34532868-post2396.html
Old Oct 10, 2022, 2:53 pm

Programs: non
SOF-LHR-HEL-JFK experience

Does anyone here have experience with SOF-LHR-HEL-JFK trip with an overnight stay in HEL and a visa requirement to enter Schengen and USA? I'd like to learn about online check-in experience - were you able to check-in for any of these segments online? If not, were you able to get the visa checked in LHR before an immediate turnaround in SOF? Does BA require a visa check before check-in for a Sofia to Schengen/Finland trip?
I have read stories in other threads, but none seem to have had a visa requirement (only covid doc checks, which seem to be "hackable" in the app). I also didn't see any stories when they failed to check-in and missed the flight. Does this ever happen?
Old Oct 10, 2022, 4:36 pm

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Vahan Hovhannisyan
Does anyone here have experience with SOF-LHR-HEL-JFK trip with an overnight stay in HEL and a visa requirement to enter Schengen and USA? I'd like to learn about online check-in experience - were you able to check-in for any of these segments online? If not, were you able to get the visa checked in LHR before an immediate turnaround in SOF? Does BA require a visa check before check-in for a Sofia to Schengen/Finland trip?
I have read stories in other threads, but none seem to have had a visa requirement (only covid doc checks, which seem to be "hackable" in the app). I also didn't see any stories when they failed to check-in and missed the flight. Does this ever happen?
Assuming it's a single ticket BA will check all your documents at the port of departure. Before pandemic it used to be possible to get docs checked before attempting b2b - not sure how it works now, but I'd assume it should be possible. Remember, if you have no visa/right to enter the country where you attempting to do the b2b, BA won't let you board the plane - back to back is seen as a trip there, even if you just want to do an immediate turnaround at the gate. Since you're asking about Schengen visa, I'm assuming you don't hold UK/EU passport.

When transferring at HEL from LHR to JFK there's no need to enter Schengen - you'll stay in the non-Schengen part of the terminal.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 5:03 pm

Programs: non
Originally Posted by megaloman
Assuming it's a single ticket BA will check all your documents at the port of departure. Before pandemic it used to be possible to get docs checked before attempting b2b - not sure how it works now, but I'd assume it should be possible. Remember, if you have no visa/right to enter the country where you attempting to do the b2b, BA won't let you board the plane - back to back is seen as a trip there, even if you just want to do an immediate turnaround at the gate. Since you're asking about Schengen visa, I'm assuming you don't hold UK/EU passport.

When transferring at HEL from LHR to JFK there's no need to enter Schengen - you'll stay in the non-Schengen part of the terminal.
The important bit is whether I can get my visas checked in LHR for a booking starting in SOF - thanks for answering this! Hopefully there will be more recent post-pandemic stories before my trip in November.
I can add a few clarifications. I do have a Schengen (and US) visa, so I can enter both Bulgaria and Finland, however, I usually need to get my visa checked before I can check-in for a Schengen or US flight. Does BA even require a Schengen visa check to allow checking in for SOF-LHR and LHR-HEL segments, when these are parts of a longer itinerary to the USA?
I am not concerned with the positioning flight to SOF - all docs for this can be checked in LHR before I take any flights as usual. My concern is the SOF-LHR-HEL-JFK trip with an overnight layover in HEL, which means I will need a Schengen (and possibly US) visa check in SOF. I'd expect the US visa to be checked in Helsinki, because the HEL-JFK check-in may not even be open when I check-in for SOF-LHR-HEL. I don't have any checked bags and the positioning flight from LHR to SOF is on a separate booking from SOF-LHR-HEL-JFK-etc, but I think these don't matter for the purposes of this question.
I tried to highlight the important questions in a long post
Old Oct 11, 2022, 4:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by megaloman
Assuming it's a single ticket BA will check all your documents at the port of departure.
Three years ago we were a bit oblivious to this and the docs ended up being checked at a bus gate in OTP! Quick process in the end, she just asked us three Qs and obvs kept bashing YES on the gate keyboard (we were HBO) before our TP run to PHX!
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 5:02 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Dicksbits
Three years ago we were a bit oblivious to this and the docs ended up being checked at a bus gate in OTP! Quick process in the end, she just asked us three Qs and obvs kept bashing YES on the gate keyboard (we were HBO) before our TP run to PHX!
OTP is not linked to the DHS, so all ESTAs and visas have to be manually checked.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 8:47 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Hi all,

Has anyone done a London City to Dublin turnaround in one day? I’m doing that soon (status run) and I have 3 hrs at Dublin airport. I assume I just stay within the transfer area and don’t need to go through any immigration/security before re-boarding my flight back to London?

I haven’t flown to Dublin and I’m not familiar with the airport.

Thanks all
Old Oct 11, 2022, 9:00 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HB7
Hi all,

Has anyone done a London City to Dublin turnaround in one day? Im doing that soon (status run) and I have 3 hrs at Dublin airport. I assume I just stay within the transfer area and dont need to go through any immigration/security before re-boarding my flight back to London?

I havent flown to Dublin and Im not familiar with the airport.

Thanks all
Have a look at the b2b thread, but you will need to go landside and back in through security. You can't stay airside when you arrive. Having said that 3 hours is plenty of time.
The _Banking_Scot and HB7 like this.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 9:28 am
Formerly richh1833

Programs: QF P1, BA GGL, AS GMVP
Unfortunately one of my BA flights was cancelled for a TP run and I'm 1 segment short. I will be flying on BA metal but AA coded flight. Is there any chance that will be considered a segment?

Last edited by TheSYDTraveller; Oct 11, 2022 at 9:43 am
Old Oct 11, 2022, 9:54 am

Programs: BA, QF, DL, A3, IHG

Request original routing credit?

Old Oct 11, 2022, 10:00 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by KARFA
Have a look at the b2b thread, but you will need to go landside and back in through security. You can't stay airside when you arrive. Having said that 3 hours is plenty of time.
Thanks - hopefully should be ok time wise.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.