Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2022, 5:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (1w Emerald), United Platinum (*G), Marriott Plat Elite
Originally Posted by RG1X
Hello all. Thanks to a cancelled trip I find myself in need of 30 tier points this side of Christmas.

Any suggestions for minimal expense / fuss? I know the holiday trips are all the rage right now for tier points, but I don't think I can spare the time. My "local" airports are LHR / LCY. I can do Manchester, but it'll take me an extra couple of hours to get there.
You already have more optional response but something like routing below works too (80TP for 236pounds). Other options might include Manchester or Amsterdam for ~200
Old Sep 22, 2022, 8:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Rewards, BAPP
Originally Posted by DarkHarlequin
Look at MXP and CDG. Seem to be the best ex-eu starting points for TP runs this side of Xmas.
I don't know if I keep getting something wrong with the new matrix but I don't seem to be able to find any dates for a west coast trip in November 2022.

I've tried CDG, MXP, BUD, DUB, AMS, BRU, OTP and SOF routing via JFK-LAX or PHX with or without HEL.

I thought the problem may have been I class availability between JFK and LAX but it doesn't show anything on any east to west coaster.

Has all the availability gone?

Ideally I'd like HNL or OGG.

Any pointers please?

Regards

AQ
Old Sep 22, 2022, 8:28 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by alwaysquestions
I don't know if I keep getting something wrong with the new matrix but I don't seem to be able to find any dates for a west coast trip in November 2022.

I've tried CDG, MXP, BUD, DUB, AMS, BRU, OTP and SOF routing via JFK-LAX or PHX with or without HEL.

I thought the problem may have been I class availability between JFK and LAX but it doesn't show anything on any east to west coaster.

Has all the availability gone?

Ideally I'd like HNL or OGG.

Any pointers please?

Regards

AQ
Did a very quick search on GF, just chose random dates from BUD. I've never managed to make the matrix work properly

https://www.google.com/travel/flight...CyKWSb3ebMQGS6

just realised above has return via PHX not LAX, but there are LAX options for basically the same price too
Old Sep 22, 2022, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by RG1X
Hello all. Thanks to a cancelled trip I find myself in need of 30 tier points this side of Christmas.

Any suggestions for minimal expense / fuss? I know the holiday trips are all the rage right now for tier points, but I don't think I can spare the time. My "local" airports are LHR / LCY. I can do Manchester, but it'll take me an extra couple of hours to get there.
If you only need 30 points, you need only pay revenue fare one-way on a short haul Club Europe fare to get 40 points and book the other leg as a reward flight. I am having an afternoon in Glasgow on that basis shortly, and reducing the CE fare using Avios took me down to less than £100.

I looked at lowest CE fares either way for a variety of UK destinations - my Glasgow revenue fare was the late evening GLA-LCY, generally I found slightly cheaper fares at suitable times flying to, rather than from, London. I felt that having a destination I could also get to by rail mitigated some of the risk of separate bookings!
RG1X likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA, LY, AA
Originally Posted by danmushman
Did a very quick search on GF, just chose random dates from BUD. I've never managed to make the matrix work properly

just realised above has return via PHX not LAX, but there are LAX options for basically the same price too
Is it possible that you to explain briefly how to get such literary?

I'm missing 490 points to gold (till Nov 8 22), and I'm working on GF and BA Holiday this past week with all the possible guides and tricks that I've learned from this forum, and noting - I cannot get it less than 6K (pound)'

i.e:

I would like to find either a BA holiday or TP run for 2 - 2.5K and I fail to achieve that - HELP?
Old Sep 22, 2022, 2:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by EBFF
Is it possible that you to explain briefly how to get such literary?

I'm missing 490 points to gold (till Nov 8 22), and I'm working on GF and BA Holiday this past week with all the possible guides and tricks that I've learned from this forum, and noting - I cannot get it less than 6K (pound)'

i.e:

I would like to find either a BA holiday or TP run for 2 - 2.5K and I fail to achieve that - HELP?
hmm. that's not really a TP run or a BA holiday. Not sure if they would disqualify you from double TPs if you're returning to London thrice. Plus you're searching a week away - very unlikely to get good prices. Read the thread. You can get 480 TPs with 2 nested LHR-SOF trips with 5d car hire.
mikeyfly and ChocolateFactory like this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 3:42 am

Programs: UA, LY, AA
hmm. that's not really a TP run or a BA holiday. Not sure if they would disqualify you from double TPs if you're returning to London thrice. Plus, you're searching a week away - very unlikely to get good prices. Read the thread. You can get 480 TPs with two nested LHR-SOF trips with 5d car hire.
One thing I'm trying to understand about the BA holiday (the literary I presented it's for there :0) is if the 5 Hotel or Car should be on the same trip. or can I split it into three days OTP with Hotel and then 2 more days Catania with a hotel?
(I looked on the BA Holiday thread here but didn't find an answer there or on the T&C

I looked for all the remaining Sept-Oct-Nov. I had an NYC bound with a hotel that was canceled (a business trip) - so I am now looking for alternatives.

The reason SOF is not an option for me is that I was there 3 weeks ago, and after 4 days in the hospital with severe food poisoning - I'm not keen to return

Thanks for your answers and time
Old Sep 23, 2022, 7:44 am

Programs: A3G, BA Silver, LH FT
Since your budget is quite generous for £2209 you can fly in business from Amsterdam to Chicago via Heathrow, Helsinki and JFK netting 600TP for a return trip + a few more for the hop to AMS and back. No need to faff around with car hires and nested tickets and you can get a proper break out of it.
BravoKilo likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 4:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Rewards, BAPP

Thanks Danbushman!

I've never been able to get GF to work for me but following your example over the past few days I've managed to find an acceptable trip.

The Matrix flights could be found but after the long process of filling in the booking they always come back as unavailable!

Cheers

AQ
danmushman likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 5:01 am

Programs: GGL (2021-), BA Emerald (1999-2021), SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Lightbulb Help reaching 5000 TPs for GGL - need 765 TPs - any ideas?

Hi all, trying to bring in my GGL first time ever and I'm 765 TPs short. Year ends Jan, so realistically will need to do this in Oct or Nov - I have other trips in Dec (avios bookings though).

I could do a 5-day x2 BA holiday if it is to a European city (as I could work remotely in EU - but I don't think there are TPs to net c.400 TPs in EU which would then equate to approx 800 TPs).

I looked at LHR-HEL-DXB which is good - particularly as it can be done very quickly and only 1 day out of work, it only brings in though 440 TPs at around £1250. If I did 2x DXB via HEL I'll be OK, but it would cost £2500.

==> So the question is: any ideas for 765 TPs for less than £2500 with availability in Oct, Nov or early Dec, with minimum time out of work?

Thanks for all your wonderful contributions in advance!!
Old Sep 25, 2022, 5:40 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
So thanks to HK reopening, and a recent RTW ticket, I will achieve my TPs to renew gold and it is worthwhile (either on the reduced TPs before the end of December, or in my normal tier point year on April 8), but with zero BA flights. However my only planned trip back to blighty is on 25 April, 3 weeks too late, alas! However, I will be in Amsterdam for a few days and could likely wangle Friday 28 October off.

Seems I could achieve the following for about GBP300 in economy to get my 4 BA segments:
AMS-LCY-EDI (07:10-07:20, 08:40-10:00) then, on a separate ticket, EDI-LCY-AMS (10:55-12:25,13:05-15:10), I presume its the same flight and know the turnaround at EDI should be fairly rapid as I am imagining that the chance of a bus on the LCY flight is pretty low.

Would welcome any alternative ideas taking less time, less risk or is that my best match? (Seems that there are only 3 flights a day from LCY-AMS so this is the next one, so even a AMS-LCY-AMS-LCY-AMS would take more time)
Old Sep 25, 2022, 6:44 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by 62aClubWorld
Hi all, trying to bring in my GGL first time ever and I'm 765 TPs short. Year ends Jan, so realistically will need to do this in Oct or Nov - I have other trips in Dec (avios bookings though).
I could do a 5-day x2 BA holiday if it is to a European city (as I could work remotely in EU - but I don't think there are TPs to net c.400 TPs in EU which would then equate to approx 800 TPs).
If you are 765TP short until 5000TP as you wrote, then you should already achieved GGL with current requirement of 3750TP until Dec.31st 2022. Unless you are lack of 4 BA/IB segments. Probably the cheapest solution would be 2 BAH trips to OTP, SOF, CTN or other 80TP routes from LON, either with hotel or car from any UK airport beside LON ones (480TP per holiday). Your year ends on January 8th anyway, so better to work it out until the end of the current year.
fluffymitten and RichieMc like this.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 6:45 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by 62aClubWorld
(...)
==> So the question is: any ideas for 765 TPs for less than £2500 with availability in Oct, Nov or early Dec, with minimum time out of work?
I think it's a bit late for that, most of the "cheap" fares must be booked 120/180 days in advance. Maybe check OSL/ARN-HEL-AGP/LIS and back with AY?
Old Sep 25, 2022, 6:49 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by Lefly
I think it's a bit late for that, most of the "cheap" fares must be booked 120/180 days in advance. Maybe check OSL/ARN-HEL-AGP/LIS and back with AY?
CPH to add.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 6:50 am

Programs: GGL (2021-), BA Emerald (1999-2021), SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Jaenks
If you are 765TP short until 5000TP as you wrote, then you should already achieved GGL with current requirement of 3750TP until Dec.31st 2022. Unless you are lack of 4 BA/IB segments. Probably the cheapest solution would be 2 BAH trips either with hotel or car from any UK airport beside LON ones (480TP per holiday). Your year ends on January 8th anyway, so better to work it out until the end of the current year.
I am currently on 2395 TPs and I have an F trip to US which will bring in 920 TPs (booked as a ba holiday).

==> Are you saying that GGL requirement is 3750 TP until Dec 2022? I have not seen that the GGL requirement was reduced - where have you seen this?
Light Travellers likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.