Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA - The 2017 thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2017, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by techie
Since when do two wrongs make a right?

More to the point: since when does speaking loudly on the phone in public spaces fall under the definition of DYKWIA behaviour?
It is a sign of entitlement and a complete disregard of the people around you, signifying that your needs are superior to all others. Hence, DYKWIA.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 12:11 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by rickg523
It's another variation on the underlying psychological need to impose oneself on the environment.
Maybe that, but it also shows a gross lack of consideration towards others in most cases (hearing difficulties etc. excepted) even if they were unaware they were doing it rather than deliberately imposing oneself on their surroundings. Whatever the situation, without a justifiable reason, I think it's just bad.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:16 am

Programs: BA GGL
Yes, agreed. It's a complete lack of awareness and consideration. It's a mentality that I just don't understand. Incredibly selfish.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I've got someone at work who has a family phone call every day on his mobile and speaks very loudly. The speaker is turned up as well so everyone can hear both sides of the conversation.
Possibly believes his voice doesn't carry over a few mile distance unless he practically shouts
Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:46 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
I had an older colleague who was all about entitlement. Refused bags with wheels as they "had to be carried". Always had to fly full flex (seriously). But the best was that on a flight he decided it was a good idea to have a conference call on speaker phone during boarding much to the embarrassment of another colleague on the same flight sat next to him. He stood lent over the divider, phone held out.

His wife met him when we landed and I remember her saying how she hates people who have calls on speaker phone or chat loudly annoying other passengers. Priceless. I think he was too gormless to realise.

Unsurprisingly he didn't last long.....
Old Apr 10, 2017, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jed
The sooner that (correctly programmed) computers are incorporated into running this sort of thing, the better.
More likely you'll have incorrectly programmed computers running this sort of thing and no possibility of appealing their judgment when they get it wrong.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 10:43 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
My first post in this thread as I tend to remain calm on travel matters but I will admit to nearly having a DYKWIA moment onboard my flight today (or to be more correct, a WDYTYA - Who Do You Think You Are) moment!
Arrived towards the end of boarding and headed to 1A in the B744 nose, opened the cupboard to store my luggage and found it packed. Given 1K was occupied I assumed he had, selfishly, grabbed all the space for himself and so I reluctantly took over some space in 2K's overhead (I'm sure he was asking who I thought I was). Upon landing, as we all collected our bags, I waited for 1K to extract his possessions from the cupboard but to my surprise all he took was a tiny bag. At this stage all of the cabin was moving rearward as 2L was the door in operation and I started to wonder if the crew had been a bit naughty when the gentleman in 5E!! strode forward and emptied the cupboard of his belongs before striding back!
Definitely a man who, if challenged, would have played the DYKWIA card me thinks!

Pilot37
Old Apr 14, 2017, 1:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Pilot37
My first post in this thread as I tend to remain calm on travel matters but I will admit to nearly having a DYKWIA moment onboard my flight today (or to be more correct, a WDYTYA - Who Do You Think You Are) moment!
Arrived towards the end of boarding and headed to 1A in the B744 nose, opened the cupboard to store my luggage and found it packed. Given 1K was occupied I assumed he had, selfishly, grabbed all the space for himself and so I reluctantly took over some space in 2K's overhead (I'm sure he was asking who I thought I was). Upon landing, as we all collected our bags, I waited for 1K to extract his possessions from the cupboard but to my surprise all he took was a tiny bag. At this stage all of the cabin was moving rearward as 2L was the door in operation and I started to wonder if the crew had been a bit naughty when the gentleman in 5E!! strode forward and emptied the cupboard of his belongs before striding back!
Definitely a man who, if challenged, would have played the DYKWIA card me thinks!

Pilot37
Had a similar thing the one and only time I've flown in F on the 744. Although what made it worse was that it was a night flight and the people who's belongings they were kept going to the wardrobe what seemed like every ten minutes to get things - and waking me up in the process.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:49 pm

Can we add a new category - the DYKWIG? That'd the be Do you know where I'm going types.

That is those who engineer a conversation around to telling you the nice or wonderful location they are off to.

Like this morning at T5 business parking:
Lady arrives with husband towing cases: 'Morning - cold one today.'
(Murmurs of agreement from myself and one other lady)
(Silence for 10 seconds)
She continues: 'hope it won't be like that where we're going'
(Further silence)
She continues: 'doubt it will be'
The other lady chimes in with 'not for me'
1st: 'oh?'
2nd:'Going to Manchester'
1st:'oh. Bahamas!'
(Silence and not another word said)

I know they are excited to be off on holiday but it is more than I need at 6am when I'm off on business again and, frankly, would quite like to be on a plane somewhere warm and sunny for some beach time.

Or perhaps I'm just turning into a grumpy old man.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 12:03 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by MPH1980
1st:'oh. Bahamas!'
At this point, you're within your rights to chime in with, "Oh, you didn't hear? All flights to the Caribbean have been cancelled this morning, indefinitely! Freak storms. I'm so sorry."
Old Apr 27, 2017, 1:42 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by armouredant
At this point, you're within your rights to chime in with, "Oh, you didn't hear? All flights to the Caribbean have been cancelled this morning, indefinitely! Freak storms. I'm so sorry."
Hahaha
Old Apr 27, 2017, 2:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Originally Posted by armouredant
We have a winner!
Old Apr 29, 2017, 4:11 am

Programs: BA Gold
Three instances recently, unfortunately #1 is me...

#1 A recent visit to my local lounge in the US: no one at the bar, so started to help my self to the food, meanwhile another passenger steps up to the bar. The attendant comes along and says to me (quite loud) - ah Mr...., welcome back, how are you (etc), your usual. The guy waiting seemed a little put out - the attendant says to him that they would be dealt with shortly - "whenever you have time" came the reply... .

#2 This would be classic Bronze behavior, but I couldn't see any tags on his bags: queuing up for security at Vienna (which is at the gate) this 'important-looking" guy circumnavigates the queue and manages to slip in at the front. Speechless isn't the word for it - we all looked at each other; it was the sheer audacity and even the skill that he managed to just slip his boarding pass into the hands of the person checking them at the split moment that the person at the front of the queue was about to - outstanding. Needless to say he then proceeded to weasel his way through the crowd to board, only to sit half way down the back... .

#3 Same flight; VIE-LHR, passenger trying to ram a carry-on into the overhead bins and unable to shut the bin door. Aisle passenger blurts out in a rather loud strident voice "That will never fit in - it is a danger to all passengers...". A crew member flips the door shut with a little nudge. Silence. Priceless!
Old Apr 29, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Platinum
Sorry to generalise but I always seem to have issues with continental, well dressed 'sophisticated' women in their 40s and 50s. Prime example, coming back from Geneva to the UK, travelling in Economy I reach my seat, seeing an example of said 'lady' stood in the aisle next to my seat, her oversized carry on suitcase directly on my seat, while she is busy rummaging through it.
"Oh, excuse me, i think that seat is mine ?" I say politely.
"YES, I KNOW!!!" She barks at me.
Then gets even more frantically searching through her case. Eventually finding what she wanted, she zips it up and proceeds to literally drag it off my seat, huffing and puffing, clearly not able to lift the suitcase into the overhead locker. She realises there is now a huge queue behind me, and gives me an angry wince and quips at me "Well, why aren't you helping me ?"
I looked at the cabin crew member, who was stood the other side of the woman, and was just met with a smile (surely they should have helped her ?). Anyway eventually another nearby passenger got up and helped her lift it up (he even found it quite strenuous).
The woman just turned around and carried on walking 5 rows further down the plane (which was pretty empty) and sat down and then gave me the mother of all scowls.
No manners = no help
Old Apr 29, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by avon75
I looked at the cabin crew member, who was stood the other side of the woman, and was just met with a smile (surely they should have helped her ?). Anyway eventually another nearby passenger got up and helped her lift it up (he even found it quite strenuous).
BA has the reasonable rule that, although your carry on can weigh up to 50lb, you must be able to lift it into the rack unaided and the CC are not allowed to help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.