DYKWIA - The 2017 thread

Old Jan 3, 17, 4:03 am
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, SW Florida, and Toronto
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Posts: 29,094
DYKWIA - The 2017 thread

Thought I'd start this up again for 2017. I don't have any gems to share at this point, but I'm sure others do. Happy new year!
LondonElite is online now  
Old Jan 3, 17, 4:14 am
  #2  
Formerly known as linzbh
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: LON
Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Posts: 441
BA188 last night CSD came and said hello and said no weather delay. Very quick flight. To which I replied that's good because I had to rush from Manhattan as our helicopter transfer got cancelled because of freezing rain. Many raised eye brows from other passengers around. Only after did I realise I sounded like a bit of an arse.
flylikelinz is offline  
Old Jan 3, 17, 4:47 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, SW Florida, and Toronto
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Posts: 29,094
Good start!
LondonElite is online now  
Old Jan 3, 17, 7:00 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: LHR/ATH
Programs: Amex Platinum, LH FTL (Silver)
Posts: 4,128
Originally Posted by linzbh View Post
BA188 last night CSD came and said hello and said no weather delay. Very quick flight. To which I replied that's good because I had to rush from Manhattan as our helicopter transfer got cancelled because of freezing rain. Many raised eye brows from other passengers around. Only after did I realise I sounded like a bit of an arse.
They see me rollin' they hatin'


hahaha
WhatTheMiguel and flylikelinz like this.
ahmetdouas is offline  
Old Jan 3, 17, 10:30 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow.
Programs: BA Gold!/OWE
Posts: 176
Flying back overnight in First in one of those flights where the actual flight time is about 5 hours. There's four of us in the cabin. Me, an older couple and a very loud gentleman. VLG convinces cabin crew to allow a friend from somewhere in the back to come forward for a drink. (Which I know is usual BA policy, but I wish it wasn't on these short night time flights.)

VLG and VLF decide they need to listen to some music, which they play on his phone for the whole cabin to enjoy.

At this point I get up and speak to the cabin crew. Flight attendant is apologetic and tells them to turn off the music and to please be quiet because other people were trying to sleep. (Disappointingly, she didn't actually turf VLF back to their cabin.)

Quiet reigns for about 10 minutes before they start getting loud again. This time the husband of the couple complains. VLF finally gets removed.

A short while later I go back to use the loo and VLG is complaining to the flight attendant about the fact that VLF was sent back to the actual cabin she was seated in.
chance88088 is offline  
Old Jan 3, 17, 1:49 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Surrey UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Avis Presidents Club, Majestic Platinum*
Posts: 136
It's people like this I would like to be offered the chance to continue their conversation outside!
windscar and Cotumely like this.
frasier is offline  
Old Jan 3, 17, 3:15 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Posts: 854
Yesterday Mr WSM and I flew home from a Christmas break in Malta. We arrived at the airport before the BA check-in desks were announced, so we waited and speculated which other waiting passengers (including a large tour group) were going to surge forward once the desk numbers appeared on the board.

When the desks finally opened there were two queueing lanes - one for business class and one for economy. We had only one person ahead of us in the business class lane and the large tour group joined the economy lane to our right.

While we were waiting for the desk staff to start calling people forward, a chap arrived at the front of the empty lane to our left and looked like he was planning to jump the queue. Mr WSM was having none of that and loudly pointed out the two BA lanes. PotentialQueueJumper ducked under the barrier and joined our queue a few places back. Not quite DYKWIA behaviour by Mr WSM - more WT*DYTYA.

On the plane PotentialQueueJumper was sitting right behind me, perfectly placed to witness my first ever Gold greeting from the CSM!

DYKWIA?
WickedStepMother is offline  
Old Jan 3, 17, 4:08 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: London
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 2,407
Originally Posted by chance88088 View Post
VLG and VLF decide they need to listen to some music, which they play on his phone for the whole cabin to enjoy
Wow. Some people!
shefgab is offline  
Old Jan 8, 17, 6:43 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 864
Not entirely DYKWIA but this must be one of the most inappropriate places to put your used hot towel on waiting to be collected.



(From a recent BRU-LHR flight)
AAtticus is offline  
Old Jan 8, 17, 6:48 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Diamond
Posts: 5,945
Did think chance88088's post was going to turn into "....and then to cap it all, they joined the mile high club" or something along those lines
xenole is online now  
Old Jan 8, 17, 7:01 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: London, UK
Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Posts: 3,544
I think that being able to invite a guest to your suite is a good feature; it is reliant on the pax to then be responsible for the behaviour of the said guest. That's etiquette, just the same as you would find in any decent private members club.
navylad is offline  
Old Jan 8, 17, 8:51 am
  #12  
formerly known as DeltaNYC
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: YYZ, mostly...
Programs: *A Gold / OW Sapphire / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,403
Originally Posted by navylad View Post
I think that being able to invite a guest to your suite is a good feature; it is reliant on the pax to then be responsible for the behaviour of the said guest. That's etiquette, just the same as you would find in any decent private members club.
Wonder what the genesis of this BA policy is and why it still exists. I don't think any other airline such as CX, QR, SQ, JL etc would allow such a thing, but I have always been traveling solo in F and never had to ask.. So I'm not sure.
Far Siren is online now  
Old Jan 8, 17, 9:35 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 927
Originally Posted by navylad View Post
I think that being able to invite a guest to your suite is a good feature; it is reliant on the pax to then be responsible for the behaviour of the said guest.
But if the F passenger is inconsiderate, and then decides to invite his/her inconsiderate pals up front, then that is a recipe for problems.

Personally, I don't find the 'feature' a good one at all - many are paying a premium for some peace and quiet and allowing all and sundry to enter the cabin is not conducive to the expected relaxing environment of a First cabin.
passy777 is offline  
Old Jan 8, 17, 9:48 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: LHR/ATH
Programs: Amex Platinum, LH FTL (Silver)
Posts: 4,128
Originally Posted by Far Siren View Post
Wonder what the genesis of this BA policy is and why it still exists. I don't think any other airline such as CX, QR, SQ, JL etc would allow such a thing, but I have always been traveling solo in F and never had to ask.. So I'm not sure.
Originally Posted by navylad View Post
I think that being able to invite a guest to your suite is a good feature; it is reliant on the pax to then be responsible for the behaviour of the said guest. That's etiquette, just the same as you would find in any decent private members club.
Originally Posted by chance88088 View Post
Flying back overnight in First in one of those flights where the actual flight time is about 5 hours. There's four of us in the cabin. Me, an older couple and a very loud gentleman. VLG convinces cabin crew to allow a friend from somewhere in the back to come forward for a drink. (Which I know is usual BA policy, but I wish it wasn't on these short night time flights.)

VLG and VLF decide they need to listen to some music, which they play on his phone for the whole cabin to enjoy.

At this point I get up and speak to the cabin crew. Flight attendant is apologetic and tells them to turn off the music and to please be quiet because other people were trying to sleep. (Disappointingly, she didn't actually turf VLF back to their cabin.)

Quiet reigns for about 10 minutes before they start getting loud again. This time the husband of the couple complains. VLF finally gets removed.

A short while later I go back to use the loo and VLG is complaining to the flight attendant about the fact that VLF was sent back to the actual cabin she was seated in.
Why cant the man just go to economy to talk to his female guest? Why should she come to First? Thats how the rules should be in my opinion.
ahmetdouas is offline  
Old Jan 8, 17, 10:14 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,244
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas View Post
Why cant the man just go to economy to talk to his female guest? Why should she come to First? Thats how the rules should be in my opinion.
An excellent solution. That way, a loud conversation in the aisle would disturb even more passengers! Good thinking!

But who cares, because Y passengers didn't pay as much, so they deserve rude behavior in their cabin!

I think this post deserves the DYKWIA Award of the Year.

Wouldn't a slightly more egalitarian approach disallow rude behavior in all cabins?
chynaS and bmibaby737 like this.
Steve in Olympia is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: