Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA - The 2017 thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:01 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by markle
In WH Smith yesterday morning, before an early flight, when an older gentleman (50s?) walks up to the empty counter.

The sole member of staff asks him if he could please use one of the self-service checkouts

"NO. I WANT TO BE SERVED HERE. I DON'T WANT TO USE A MACHINE"
"It's OK sir, I'll show you how to use it"
"IT'S A POINT OF PRINCIPLE, I WONT USE A MACHINE. I DEMAND TO BE SERVED HERE."
The member of staff takes his items and starts scanning them on the self checkout for him
"DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH BONUS YOUR BOSS MAKES BECAUSE HE DOESN'T EMPLOY ENOUGH PEOPLE??"

Felt quite sorry for the poor employee.

The guy had a valid point and it's the main reason I refuse to use self-check out in supermarkets.
Great_circle likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by MichaelBaku
The guy had a valid point and it's the main reason I refuse to use self-check out in supermarkets.
But why berate the sales assistant who has no say in it at all? What a kn*b.
woodiee and argonath like this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 5:07 am

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
Originally Posted by shefgab
I'm sure the minimum wage staff love you telling them this. They know why the SSCO machines are there, so do you. Will you stop shopping there if you have to use one? No. Then WHS doesn't care. Yes? Well 99.9% of customers will still come so WHS still don't care. You've simply made that one person's day a little bit more miserable.

If you want to complain, say it to a manger or put it in writing. Bottom rung front line staff aren't paid enough to care. Same with pax getting shirty with crew asking for £2.30 for a cup of hot water. They don't make up the rules, so don't blame it on them!
I suppose its quite debatable. I don't think most people can be bothered to complain to managers or even at all. But if everyone who didn't like something complained directly to front line staff (which is relatively easy to do), wouldn't that send a pretty powerful message to the managers?
Old Dec 15, 2017, 5:25 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by benjai
I suppose its quite debatable. I don't think most people can be bothered to complain to managers or even at all. But if everyone who didn't like something complained directly to front line staff (which is relatively easy to do), wouldn't that send a pretty powerful message to the managers?
In 30+ years of working in and around big corporates, I have yet to come across one where the decision-makers have the slightest interest in what front-line staff think (unless they're targeted on some of the measures in the annual opinion survery... )
woodiee and shefgab like this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
I'm sure the minimum wage staff love you telling them this. They know why the SSCO machines are there, so do you. Will you stop shopping there if you have to use one? No. Then WHS doesn't care. Yes? Well 99.9% of customers will still come so WHS still don't care. You've simply made that one person's day a little bit more miserable.

If you want to complain, say it to a manger or put it in writing. Bottom rung front line staff aren't paid enough to care. Same with pax getting shirty with crew asking for £2.30 for a cup of hot water. They don't make up the rules, so don't blame it on them!
I don't agree. They are there to be the face of an organisation as well as other aspects of their job and should expect it. They deserve respect and politeness I never rant at the front line staff, I always make sure they know I take no issue with them or their behaviour but that it is their organisations decisions I have a problem with.
woodiee and Calchas like this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by cutting42
I don't agree. They are there to be the face of an organisation as well as other aspects of their job and should expect it. They deserve respect and politeness I never rant at the front line staff, I always make sure they know I take no issue with them or their behaviour but that it is their organisations decisions I have a problem with.
And you seriously think someone on a minimum wage really gives a stuff what you think about their organisation?
twincheeks likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by simons1
But why berate the sales assistant who has no say in it at all? What a kn*b.
I'm supporting his point of view NOT the way he spoke to the sales assistant.
WickedStepMother and Calchas like this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA - Bronze : HHonnors Gold : Hyatt Gold

...If you want to complain, say it to a manger ...
I realise it’s nearly Christmas but why would you want to talk to a manger?
Old Dec 15, 2017, 1:58 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Maybe we could have reports of some other DYKWIA. This WH Smith DYKWIA is attracting far too much attention, whichever side you're on, although the 'manger' bit was pretty darn good!

I guess I'm just saying, I demand more DYKWIA stories.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
How about the two gentlemen (stretching the use of the term there) on QR BOM-DOH last week who remained in flat bed mode when asked repeatedly by the cabin crew to put the seat into landing mode? In the end two crew members manually adjusted their seats for them just prior to landing. It wasn't a language issue they just chose to say ok and then ignore her request.
LTN Phobia and Great_circle like this.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Silver, Flying Blue Zilch, East Coast Rewards Lots&lots, Miles & More nada
Funny you should mention that. I happened to be using an online discussion forum (which shall remain nameless) the other day when one user declared that they were insufficiently amused by the to-and-fro being offered. They did have a point - it was all becoming somewhat monomaniacal - but their suggested solution was to demand that others produce material they found more entertaining. Which in itself was entertaining so one could say that the problem solved itself.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
I have an older DYKWIA story with a friend being the offending party (i.e. the DYKWIA). The whole thing happened on SQ and I was lucky enough not to be on board. He complained afterwards to me .

It starts with him booking a trip on SQ to Bali. He and his +1 were determined to spend 19hrs of flight luxuriously which is why they booked economy on SQ. The big day arrives and they fly off to sun, palm trees and magnificent beaches. During the flight to Singapore, my DYKWIA-friend decides that he can no longer take it. He had already complained about the food being rather poor and now he makes a fuss about him feeling not so well. He calls the flight attendant and explains that he's feeling lightheaded and that she should accommodate him somewhere where he can rest for a while. The flight attendant - as friendly as they always are on SQ - says that the cabin is fully booked and therefore not possible. Good old DYKWIA says "Well, then you have to put me into C. I really need to lie and rest. I'm feeling slightly dizzy" "That's unfortunately not possible" "Well, then I'm going to lie on the floor". My DYKWIA-friend then proceeds to lie in the aisle, a move that didn't go well for him. The flight attendant changes her tone and tells him now to sit in his allocated seat. He angrily accepts it and the events seem to have infuriated him that much that he was still fuming when he told me about it nearly 2 months after it happened.

I shall call this the DYKWIA man baby. Seems to sum this up pretty well...
Old Dec 16, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by WorldLux
The flight attendant - as friendly as they always are on SQ - says that the cabin is fully booked and therefore not possible. Good old DYKWIA says "Well, then you have to put me into C. I really need to lie and rest. I'm feeling slightly dizzy" "That's unfortunately not possible" "Well, then I'm going to lie on the floor". My DYKWIA-friend then proceeds to lie in the aisle, a move that didn't go well for him. The flight attendant changes her tone and tells him now to sit in his allocated seat. He angrily accepts it and the events seem to have infuriated him that much that he was still fuming when he told me about it nearly 2 months after it happened.
He should have DEMANDED to go into that body drawer they apparently have

"I demand to go in there. I'm feeling ill and I think I am dying. At least it will save you putting me in there when I die!" or something.
bil likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
He should have DEMANDED to go into that body drawer they apparently have
AFAIK they only had it on the A340-500 and those birds are long gone. And the SQ fleet doesn't have a tantrum drawer for grown adults...
LTN Phobia and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 7:05 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Please continue this theme in the new DYKWIA | 2018 edition thread.

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
richi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.