Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA - The 2017 thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2017, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Well if, for example, I was having a heart attack and the 'off duty nurse' was a cardiac nurse practitioner then I can assure you that would be my choice over a consultant psych.
Not all medical doctors are well trained in dealing with emergencies.
origin likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club and OnBusiness
I saw a DYKWIA performance exiting an AA flight from PHL yesterday at Heathrow; I didn't see what started it, but as I was deplaning the passenger who merged ahead of me was getting a proper telling off from one of the crew, the jist of which was "if you ever do that again you will be banned from flying with this airline in the future".

The response: "I'm One-World Emerald"
Old Aug 30, 2017, 2:18 pm

In the priority security lane at (shhh) Heathrow T2. Very early in the morning.

Gentleman pushes past the ~3-4 people waiting, insisting that he was late for his flight.

He goes to start unloading his possessions into a tray when a member of security staff pips up:

"Could you not see that there was a queue?"
"I'm late for my flight"
"You and I both know that the first flight doesn't leave here for another 40 minutes. You've got enough time to go and wait at the back of the line"

Gentleman sheepishly complies and returns to the back of the (now larger) queue... much to the mirth of the rest of us waiting.
Gnopps, NWIFlyer, stu1985 and 12 others like this.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Ned1968
The response: "I'm One-World Emerald"
"That leaves you with other choices then."
solewalker and bzado like this.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Flew into JFK from LGW a few hours ago. I position myself close to 1L but far enough back to allow the crew plenty of room to open it and meet the GA, obviously. Old bloke practically pushes the FA out of the way and shouts "Special Services?" at the GA in the jetbridge. He seems to hold back for a wheelchair and the OH and I pass him and head out towards immigration. There are huge lines and we arrive on the opposite side from the Global Entry kiosks so see a BA rep and ask if we can go over to Global Entry. Just as she is eyeing up a route the guy shows up again but not in a wheelchair, "Special Services!" he blurts. The BA rep asks if he is GE and he says he is not so she tells him he cannot join us, leaving him standing there marooned in a no mans land between the US and non-US areas...

I don't really think that's how SS works, mate...they come and find you!
Old Aug 30, 2017, 9:26 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by markle
In the priority security lane at (shhh) Heathrow T2. Very early in the morning.

Gentleman pushes past the ~3-4 people waiting, insisting that he was late for his flight.

He goes to start unloading his possessions into a tray when a member of security staff pips up:

"Could you not see that there was a queue?"
"I'm late for my flight"
"You and I both know that the first flight doesn't leave here for another 40 minutes. You've got enough time to go and wait at the back of the line"

Gentleman sheepishly complies and returns to the back of the (now larger) queue... much to the mirth of the rest of us waiting.
Bleah. I was in DOH on the prem line for transit security. In front of me, was this family of four with two younger children (maybe 4-7 years old), struggling a little with their possessions. This family of three behind me (3 adults, daughter probably older than me) were jostling. In Cantonese, this family behind me were having discussion about how they should just overtake the struggling family in front of me, mumbling how they were in business class. When I saw the father try to pull a move of overtaking the struggling family, I put my body in front of him, and just shot back, "Excuse me, there's a line".

Guess what, buddy? Everyone else in this line is also in business class.
Calchas, Tuggster and Great_circle like this.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 10:38 pm

A few years ago, I was returning to the US from South America, standing in a lengthy line for immigration in MIA. Two young men in expensive-looking business suits simply stepped into the line in front of me.

They got tired of my repeated requests for them to go to the back of the line, so they simply moved forward several places, cutting the line again.

As luck would have it, down the line sauntered two (armed) airport police. "Oh officers, I wonder if you might be kind enough to show these two gentlemen where the end of the line is?"

As they were marched to the back of the line, I gave each of them a little wave, a big smile, and a "Have a nice day!!!"
Old Aug 30, 2017, 11:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
Not all medical doctors are well trained in dealing with emergencies.
I have a cousin who is a rheumatologist. He tells me he is terrified of being identified as a doctor on flights as the last time he did ER work was many decades ago and he reckons most nurses are more likely to be of use than he is.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:42 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
On a busy flight ex-LGW, the gate agent offers pax the opportunity of stowing larger items of hand luggage in the hold, free of charge.

A DYKWIA informs that agent that he is sitting in an emergency row, and brandishes his gold BP showing seat 1a. The agent replies: "That's even more reason to stow the bag, sir." The DYKWIA blushes, but keeps a tight hold on his luggage.

... and yes dear fellow FT'ers - that DYKWIA was me!
Calchas, LCSinTexas, aidy and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 2:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Well if, for example, I was having a heart attack and the 'off duty nurse' was a cardiac nurse practitioner then I can assure you that would be my choice over a consultant psych.
Yes - me too! My GF was most relieved she didn't have to get involved as it is a long time since she was a junior doctor in A&E.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 2:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Originally Posted by Up In The Air
... and yes dear fellow FT'ers - that DYKWIA was me!
Ever since I reached Gold my dear husband has been prone to DYKWSI behavior - "Go on, tell them you're Gold, tell them!"

I have to get him to calm down so that I don't ever read about a pushy DYKWIA couple in this thread and recognise us!
aks120, CaroFos, Tobias-UK and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 6:17 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by WickedStepMother
Ever since I reached Gold my dear husband has been prone to DYKWSI behavior - "Go on, tell them you're Gold, tell them!"

I have to get him to calm down so that I don't ever read about a pushy DYKWIA couple in this thread and recognise us!
Just point out that there are the best part of 100,000 Golds or better yet get him to write a complaint on some trivial matter to BA, mentioning your Gold status and let him see the reply. That should calm him down a little.
WickedStepMother likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:53 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I flew NCE-LHR earlier today, and we boarded by bus.

While waiting to walk up the steps to the aircraft, a little girl (she may have been 5), said to her Dad "Daddy, why is your luggage silver, but that mans is gold" - evidently pointing at the tags on my handbaggage.

I turned around, just in time for the Dad to say "because he doesn't read as many bedtime stories to his little girl as me".

It made me smile.

M
HaikoW, origin, aks120 and 17 others like this.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I flew NCE-LHR earlier today, and we boarded by bus.

While waiting to walk up the steps to the aircraft, a little girl (she may have been 5), said to her Dad "Daddy, why is your luggage silver, but that mans is gold" - evidently pointing at the tags on my handbaggage.

I turned around, just in time for the Dad to say "because he doesn't read as many bedtime stories to his little girl as me".

It made me smile.

M
Reading this while dashing home to Cheltenham to read a bedtime story to my little girl. Certainly made me smile. Fantastic reply from the father!
CaroFos and Harry Harry like this.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
Nice to know that kids are getting involved in the BA trade early...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.