Search

DYKWIA - The 2017 thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2017, 4:03 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
DYKWIA - The 2017 thread

Thought I'd start this up again for 2017. I don't have any gems to share at this point, but I'm sure others do. Happy new year!
Old Jan 3, 2017, 4:14 am
Formerly known as linzbh

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
BA188 last night CSD came and said hello and said no weather delay. Very quick flight. To which I replied that's good because I had to rush from Manhattan as our helicopter transfer got cancelled because of freezing rain. Many raised eye brows from other passengers around. Only after did I realise I sounded like a bit of an arse.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 4:47 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Good start!
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by linzbh
BA188 last night CSD came and said hello and said no weather delay. Very quick flight. To which I replied that's good because I had to rush from Manhattan as our helicopter transfer got cancelled because of freezing rain. Many raised eye brows from other passengers around. Only after did I realise I sounded like a bit of an arse.
They see me rollin' they hatin'

hahaha
WhatTheMiguel and flylikelinz like this.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: BA Gold!/OWE
Flying back overnight in First in one of those flights where the actual flight time is about 5 hours. There's four of us in the cabin. Me, an older couple and a very loud gentleman. VLG convinces cabin crew to allow a friend from somewhere in the back to come forward for a drink. (Which I know is usual BA policy, but I wish it wasn't on these short night time flights.)

VLG and VLF decide they need to listen to some music, which they play on his phone for the whole cabin to enjoy.

At this point I get up and speak to the cabin crew. Flight attendant is apologetic and tells them to turn off the music and to please be quiet because other people were trying to sleep. (Disappointingly, she didn't actually turf VLF back to their cabin.)

Quiet reigns for about 10 minutes before they start getting loud again. This time the husband of the couple complains. VLF finally gets removed.

A short while later I go back to use the loo and VLG is complaining to the flight attendant about the fact that VLF was sent back to the actual cabin she was seated in.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Avis Presidents Club, Majestic Platinum*
It's people like this I would like to be offered the chance to continue their conversation outside!
windscar and Cotumely like this.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Yesterday Mr WSM and I flew home from a Christmas break in Malta. We arrived at the airport before the BA check-in desks were announced, so we waited and speculated which other waiting passengers (including a large tour group) were going to surge forward once the desk numbers appeared on the board.

When the desks finally opened there were two queueing lanes - one for business class and one for economy. We had only one person ahead of us in the business class lane and the large tour group joined the economy lane to our right.

While we were waiting for the desk staff to start calling people forward, a chap arrived at the front of the empty lane to our left and looked like he was planning to jump the queue. Mr WSM was having none of that and loudly pointed out the two BA lanes. PotentialQueueJumper ducked under the barrier and joined our queue a few places back. Not quite DYKWIA behaviour by Mr WSM - more WT*DYTYA.

On the plane PotentialQueueJumper was sitting right behind me, perfectly placed to witness my first ever Gold greeting from the CSM!

DYKWIA?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 4:08 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by chance88088
VLG and VLF decide they need to listen to some music, which they play on his phone for the whole cabin to enjoy
Wow. Some people!
Old Jan 8, 2017, 6:43 am

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
Not entirely DYKWIA but this must be one of the most inappropriate places to put your used hot towel on waiting to be collected.

(From a recent BRU-LHR flight)
Old Jan 8, 2017, 6:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Did think chance88088's post was going to turn into "....and then to cap it all, they joined the mile high club" or something along those lines
Old Jan 8, 2017, 7:01 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
I think that being able to invite a guest to your suite is a good feature; it is reliant on the pax to then be responsible for the behaviour of the said guest. That's etiquette, just the same as you would find in any decent private members club.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 8:51 am
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
Originally Posted by navylad
I think that being able to invite a guest to your suite is a good feature; it is reliant on the pax to then be responsible for the behaviour of the said guest. That's etiquette, just the same as you would find in any decent private members club.
Wonder what the genesis of this BA policy is and why it still exists. I don't think any other airline such as CX, QR, SQ, JL etc would allow such a thing, but I have always been traveling solo in F and never had to ask.. So I'm not sure.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 9:35 am

I think that being able to invite a guest to your suite is a good feature; it is reliant on the pax to then be responsible for the behaviour of the said guest.
But if the F passenger is inconsiderate, and then decides to invite his/her inconsiderate pals up front, then that is a recipe for problems.

Personally, I don't find the 'feature' a good one at all - many are paying a premium for some peace and quiet and allowing all and sundry to enter the cabin is not conducive to the expected relaxing environment of a First cabin.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Far Siren
Wonder what the genesis of this BA policy is and why it still exists. I don't think any other airline such as CX, QR, SQ, JL etc would allow such a thing, but I have always been traveling solo in F and never had to ask.. So I'm not sure.
Originally Posted by chance88088
Flying back overnight in First in one of those flights where the actual flight time is about 5 hours. There's four of us in the cabin. Me, an older couple and a very loud gentleman. VLG convinces cabin crew to allow a friend from somewhere in the back to come forward for a drink. (Which I know is usual BA policy, but I wish it wasn't on these short night time flights.)

VLG and VLF decide they need to listen to some music, which they play on his phone for the whole cabin to enjoy.

At this point I get up and speak to the cabin crew. Flight attendant is apologetic and tells them to turn off the music and to please be quiet because other people were trying to sleep. (Disappointingly, she didn't actually turf VLF back to their cabin.)

Quiet reigns for about 10 minutes before they start getting loud again. This time the husband of the couple complains. VLF finally gets removed.

A short while later I go back to use the loo and VLG is complaining to the flight attendant about the fact that VLF was sent back to the actual cabin she was seated in.
Why cant the man just go to economy to talk to his female guest? Why should she come to First? Thats how the rules should be in my opinion.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Why cant the man just go to economy to talk to his female guest? Why should she come to First? Thats how the rules should be in my opinion.
An excellent solution. That way, a loud conversation in the aisle would disturb even more passengers! Good thinking!

But who cares, because Y passengers didn't pay as much, so they deserve rude behavior in their cabin!

I think this post deserves the DYKWIA Award of the Year.

Wouldn't a slightly more egalitarian approach disallow rude behavior in all cabins?
chynaS and bmibaby737 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.