Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA - The 2017 thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Going back to post 139, the "piss off!" post.

It is beyond me that folk get so very, very annoyed with staff who are doing what they are told/employed to do.

It's a bit like the air crew (esp pilots) who get fed up with security people. Many of the security rules are daft for pilots, but getting upset about them is even more daft.

If ever I was asked, I could teach them relaxation courses. I would only charge UKP3,000 per day, and I am extremely well qualified.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer

It is beyond me that folk get so very, very annoyed with staff who are doing what they are told/employed to do.

It's a bit like the air crew (esp pilots) who get fed up with security people. Many of the security rules are daft for pilots, but getting upset about them is even more daft.

If ever I was asked, I could teach them relaxation courses. I would only charge UKP3,000 per day, and I am extremely well qualified.
A bill of £3k is unlikely to make anyone relax
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
It would be for a full 7 hour day.

Much cheaper than a decent beancounter or a decent solicitor.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by KARFA
A bill of £3k is unlikely to make anyone relax
Unless it's permanent relaxation
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)

Reminds me of this tweet...

Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:05 am

You are going to the wrong solicitors if you are being charged anything like £3k for 7 hours. No wonder you have gone in to relaxation techniques if this is what you are being charged
bzado likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 9:24 am
ASI

Well quite - matey here looked extremely stupid when he acted the way he did, and then when the agent called him out on it, I think he realised he'd been a twit as well.

I'd love to know how it turned out for him!
Old Mar 24, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by Fitch
While I agree that in many cases the tags are a silly superfluity, I do have a lot of sympathy for the poor b staff who have been tasked with handing them out.

They're not paid a lot and have to put up with abuse from self-important nobodies who think they can speak to them any way they like just because they have a bit of shiny plastic in their pocket

The true "gentleman" would have graciously accepted the tag then quietly ignored it...
I've heard about these yellow tags and seen them on other people's bags but no one has ever tried to give me one of them as it would perhaps interfere with my shiny gold luggage tag. How do they work?

(Well this is the DYKWIA thread!)
Old Mar 24, 2017, 10:32 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
You are going to the wrong solicitors if you are being charged anything like £3k for 7 hours. No wonder you have gone in to relaxation techniques if this is what you are being charged
The right solicitors being of course ones that charge 3 times that. Rest assured that the sort of knowledge that allows you to sleep at night never comes cheap.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by V10
The right solicitors being of course ones that charge 3 times that. Rest assured that the sort of knowledge that allows you to sleep at night never comes cheap.
At £1,300 ph that must be some serious knowledge from your solicitor. Anyway, back on topic....
Old Mar 24, 2017, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by armouredant
Rather troublesome to fit a double bass in the overhead locker, though.
Yes, believe me, I've tried it! In the end, when I traveled with the orchestra (in the days when I played bass) we just rented instruments locally, with mixed results. I remember the cellos getting rather damaged once. One should always take the cello onboard and simply pay a seat for it.

Concerning luggage tagging, it never bothered me. I used to let all the little tags accumulate until the bag looked like a Tibetan ribbon!
Old Mar 24, 2017, 10:55 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Concerto
Concerning luggage tagging, it never bothered me. I used to let all the little tags accumulate until the bag looked like a Tibetan ribbon!
I don't mind the yellow tags from BA even though I've only ever been given them once or twice for some reason.

What bothers me is the F cabin baggage tags that some airlines give you - I don't want to look like a DYKWIA walking around the airport with that stuck on my hand luggage! That's just plain embarrassing. I comply with their request to put them on*, then discreetly take them off once out of sight.

*I guess I could say "hell no, no to the DYKWIA tags!" but I don't really want to upset the staff... They don't do it to make you look like a DYKWIA, they it for easy identification of passengers in F cabin for boarding and also to make sure that no-one makes a fuss about the amount of hand luggage you have.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 12:38 pm

What is a "cabin guaranteed" tag?
Old Mar 24, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by NeedstoFly
What is a "cabin guaranteed" tag?
The Yellow tag, which does serve another purpose than just indicating the bag has to go under the seat in front (excluding bulkhead/exit row seats), one day a DYKWIA will have his bag placed in the hold as he removed the yellow tag because he was in an exit row.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:11 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Quarky Quark
armouredant are you seriously suggesting you should always be allowed to take your guitar on board and store it overhead?
Depending on local law, the answer can be 'Yes'. The FAA rules about musical instruments state guitars in cabin on a space available basis for US carriers. (Can't find a link if they apply to foreign carriers operating from US airports)

https://www.transportation.gov/brief...travel-musical

The catalyst for that directive is believed to be 'United Breaks Guitars'

http://sentium.com/a-public-relation...ws-on-youtube/

Last edited by beachmouse; Mar 24, 2017 at 7:18 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.