Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA - The 2017 thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
Originally Posted by Calchas
Still, all this chopping and changing keeps people in work doesn't it?
I'm old school. I like it when IT served the business needs rather than IT dictated what the business would do (which is generally embellish the CV of the IT Director). It all started going wrong with Windows in my book . And don't get me started on outsourcing...
Thighsofsteel likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 11:22 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Calchas
Still, all this chopping and changing keeps people in work doesn't it?
I'm currently working on a project converting an SAP system to another system. The business complained about SAP - but now want the new system to behave in exactly the same way so the users don't need retraining.

Them - "We need the <new system> to do XYZ".
Me - "It doesn't do that, that's an SAP way of thinking"
Them - "But it absolutely has to do that"
Me - "It doesn't do that - but you can raise an enhancement request with Product Management"
Them - "Why did we buy this product?"
Me - "Because you didn't want SAP" (That was said in my head).
Old Apr 6, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
I'm unsubscribing from this thread, clearly not going to be reading any DYKWIA stories on here anytime soon...
Old Apr 6, 2017, 12:37 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
i'm unsubscribing from this thread, clearly not going to be reading any dykwia stories on here anytime soon...
dykiowtrdykwiap?
Old Apr 6, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
I'm unsubscribing from this thread, clearly not going to be reading any DYKWIA stories on here anytime soon...
OK, OK, just to keep you here I'll relate my latest DYKWIA story. Truth is that I tend to spot these types almost every time I fly (about twice a month) just that some are more worthy of note than others.

So here we are, at MUC, just having left the newly refurbished lounge, waiting at the gate for boarding to begin. There are two queues: on the right the regular queue, and on the left the 'priority queue'. Now I was clearly a candidate for the latter, with a CE seat, but also a good deal of status behind me. But then I was not at all concerned that I wouldn't get a seat as unlike the bus we all get on board in the end anyway ...

Still, I found it quite amusing to see about 5 'super-DYKWIAs' pushing themselves into the very front of the priority queue the moment actual boarding got going. You could tell the types - heads held high with an air of 'importance' ... It was interesting, as always, to note that most of them were very proudly sporting bronze or maybe even silver bag tags but none seemed to have gold ones - I have a feeling that by the time people get to gold they really understand how childish this type of behaviour is. One or two needed to be persuaded that they were not permitted so many pieces of hand baggage which of course upset them immensely, after all 'Didn't you know who I am?'. Even stranger was the curious fact that I did not recognise any of them in the CE cabin afterwards, as they were all sitting down the back. Annoying really, I mean "Didn't BA realise who they were and upgrade them ...?"
Old Apr 6, 2017, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by mikebg
"Didn't BA realise who they were and upgrade them ...?"
BA realised who they were and downgraded them.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
The BA Twitter feed is absolute gold sometimes...

Old Apr 6, 2017, 2:30 pm
HMO

Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
Old Apr 6, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
Unlikely ... CE was only half full on that flight.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
The BA Twitter feed is absolute gold sometimes...
Who even thinks like this
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Ahaha ha - that Twitter feed is just too good...I mean, the CSM/CSD 'chat' is fine, sometimes, when it's done well but it's not exactly something I would "miss" or feel the need to complain about missing on a flight...especially an overnight up from South Africa when presumably you just want to sleep!

Poor guy. I have visions of him laying awake half the night tossing and turning, desperate to know when his 'gold welcome' will be along...de-boarding in LHR exhausted and tearful....but, but....DYKWIA???!!!

Amazing. I hope he frames his 6k e-ticket.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ratypus
Ahaha ha - that Twitter feed is just too good...I mean, the CSM/CSD 'chat' is fine, sometimes, when it's done well but it's not exactly something I would "miss" or feel the need to complain about missing on a flight...especially an overnight up from South Africa when presumably you just want to sleep!

Poor guy. I have visions of him laying awake half the night tossing and turning, desperate to know when his 'gold welcome' will be along...de-boarding in LHR exhausted and tearful....but, but....DYKWIA???!!!

Amazing. I hope he frames his 6k e-ticket.

I mean, if you want to chat with the staff ... get up and go and find them. I find they are often quite happy for some distraction.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Yes...although not if he's the sort who likes the 'gold chat' for the sake of being friendly to the crew or finding out what's going on around BA...but for the vague sense of self-importance / imagined approving nods from other passengers as the CSD bows at their feet etc.

I agree...if you really want to chat with the crew, head up the galley and don't be a plonker when you get there!
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:40 pm

Perfect sequence:

Originally Posted by mikebg
I have a feeling that by the time people get to gold they really understand how childish this type of behaviour is.
...followed by...

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Old Apr 6, 2017, 6:07 pm

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
So how many hellos from the CSD did Antony John Birkett wish for? According to the twitter feed above he had at least one. From the evidence presented, it is not entirely clear if he shared seat 61k with either his wife (whom he claims never to have seen and may have been a man) or they seemingly had a ménage à trois with the CSD. Doc Copper

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.