Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA - The 2017 thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2017, 5:05 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
In fairness, I can empathize with you. I was at KUL to board my SIN flight at H4 recently. NOBODY actually took a look at my boarding pass until I got on the plane... I happened to dump my passport into the same tray that held my laptop through scanning and none of the guards took even a glance at it... and I never met any MH ground crew at the boarding gate.

MH's approach to security here is rather nonchalant, I'm shocked to discover.
LOL stick around in Malaysia (a country I adore btw) and you'll soon discove that "nonchalant" describes the A-team !!
Old Mar 4, 2017, 5:52 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by dougzz
Something truly sad about bragging you paid full price for those battered old wrecks on that route. To clarify that's the planes not the passengers.
It's equally sad for that old bag to judge the book by the cover and assume that many of the pax in that queue are upgraders or redeemers
Old Mar 5, 2017, 1:33 am

Programs: AA plat pro, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
In fairness, I can empathize with you. I too was at KUL to board my SIN flight at H4 recently. NOBODY actually took a look at my boarding pass until I got on the plane... I happened to dump my passport and boarding pass into the same tray that held my laptop at scanning upon entering H4... none of the guards took even a glance at it... and I never met any MH ground crew at the boarding gate either.

MH's approach to security here is disturbingly nonchalant, I'm shocked to discover.
Haha so very true.
That's why SQ (and MI) can command such a premium on this route ( often 3-4x the price) and still fill their planes.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 1:54 pm
ASI

Not so much DYKWIA as stroppy chap in T5...

Coming in through T5 south security on Tuesday morning, circa 06:15am. Man in sharp suit ahead of me walks up to initial barriers, and floating member of staff targets him for a 'Cabin Guaranteed' tag. Suited Man takes umbrage at this, tries to tell staff member he doesn't want one. Staff member insists, at which point our man in the suit gives him a rather unnecessary "PISS OFF".

Well, I am glad to report that the member of staff was no shrinking violet, and told our suited chap that this was totally unnecessary, and ordered him to follow him to see his supervisor.

I do wonder if he's still orbiting in one of the lesser circles of T5 security hell...
Old Mar 22, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ASI
Not so much DYKWIA as stroppy chap in T5...

Coming in through T5 south security on Tuesday morning, circa 06:15am. Man in sharp suit ahead of me walks up to initial barriers, and floating member of staff targets him for a 'Cabin Guaranteed' tag. Suited Man takes umbrage at this, tries to tell staff member he doesn't want one. Staff member insists, at which point our man in the suit gives him a rather unnecessary "PISS OFF".

Well, I am glad to report that the member of staff was no shrinking violet, and told our suited chap that this was totally unnecessary, and ordered him to follow him to see his supervisor.

I do wonder if he's still orbiting in one of the lesser circles of T5 security hell...

Glad to see some activity in this thread, but really : oū sont les douches d'antan ?
Old Mar 22, 2017, 3:02 pm
ASI

Originally Posted by Fitch
Glad to see some activity in this thread, but really : oū sont les douches d'antan ?
...piss off
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:17 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
I'm with suited guy. Orbiting vulture types with their stupid little tags annoy me. They get ripped right off as soon as am past security.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by skipness1E
I'm with suited guy. Orbiting vulture types with their stupid little tags annoy me. They get ripped right off as soon as am past security.
Except that level of rudeness and verbal abuse is likely to get you offloaded.

It's in the terms and conditions of carriage.

"We may decide to refuse to carry you or your baggage if one or more of the following has happened or we reasonably believe may happen.

If carrying you or your baggage may affect the comfort of any person on the aircraft

If you have used threatening, abusive or insulting words towards our ground staff or another passenger or a member of the crew of the aircraft"

Last edited by Waterhorse; Mar 23, 2017 at 2:56 am
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:50 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
Except that level of rudeness and verbal abuse is likely to get you offloaded.
The more traditional protest in true British style involves waiting until you are round the corner and then tearing it off in a huff as you told the bloody person that you were in row 12 and all bags had to go overhead anyway but they just wouldn't bloody listen...
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:56 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
The more traditional protest in true British style involves waiting until you are round the corner and then tearing it off in a huff as you told the bloody person that you were in row 12 and all bags had to go overhead anyway but they just wouldn't bloody listen...
Similarly, agents will often try to tag my guitar at the gate, to be checked into the hold at the door of the plane. The tag vanishes mysteriously somewhere along the jetway every time. I don't care that it's larger than a rollaboard; it's also much more fragile.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 4:26 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
Haha +1
Old Mar 23, 2017, 4:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by skipness1E
I'm with you on this one - the typical boarding experience is already miserable enough without the added irritation of having gate agents buzzing around you inspecting and tagging your carry-ons as you're waiting at the gate.

But there is absolutely no excuse for the type of behaviour described.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
It seems that the story about the Well-Dressed Man has smoked out an unpleasant group of folks who are under an impression that they are the ultimate authority on how their hand baggage is to be tagged and should somehow be immune to BA staff applying policies said folks are very well aware of. Fits the DYKWIA definition, if you ask me.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 6:52 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by techie
It seems that the story about the Well-Dressed Man has smoked out an unpleasant group of folks who are under an impression that they are the ultimate authority on how their hand baggage is to be tagged and should somehow be immune to BA staff applying policies said folks are very well aware of. Fits the DYKWIA definition, if you ask me.
Yes, absolutely rumbled. Here's another guitar-toting tale of a GCH... flying LAN domestic in Chile, at the front of the priority line, just as they began to board pax, I was told that I would have to wait until literally every other passenger on the plane had boarded before I take my guitar as carry-on. I was astounded - is that entitled DYKWIA behaviour?
Old Mar 23, 2017, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by techie
... Fits the DYKWIA definition, if you ask me.
TOTALLY! The hapless souls have been instructed to attach tags. Having to deal with pompous gits who take umbrage at the policy must make the job particularly unpleasant.

The tags harm nothing and no-one: they can be removed if you find them offensive.

If the tags result in just a dozen passengers being reminded to use under-seat storage, then that frees up space for half-a-dozen larger items in the overheads.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.