Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA - The 2017 thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2017, 7:41 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by T8191
Impressive, especially on the spur of the moment. I would have just played my 'age card', and got a bit of sympathy [possibly].
Ha, I am approaching that zone too - grey hairs in danger of outnumbering grey cells

I like to think I would have the presence of mind to boldly walk back up the jetway and announce "All fixed now, have a safe flight !"
Old Mar 2, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by mickchick
'But WE are FULL FARE passengers. Most of the people here look as if they have had free upgrades, or are using air miles'.
Fairly fortunate to have survived saying that in front of a queue of J pax.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
In the priority line at Tampa, waiting to board the BA flight to London, us Club World passengers were patiently waiting to shuffle on early, when an elderly couple push past us to the head of the queue. I politely point out that there is a queue. The man retorts grandly, 'we have priority because we are in Club'. I reply that everyone in the queue has the same priority because we are all Club passengers. His dear lady wife chimes in, with an unmistakeable air of triumph, 'But WE are FULL FARE passengers. Most of the people here look as if they have had free upgrades, or are using air miles'. Micro-seconds before a riot breaks out, a staffer appears and insists the couple go to the back of the queue. Which they reluctantly do, amid much huffing and puffing and threats to 'take this insult up at the highest level'.

Simple, require everyone to wear a huge piece of paper around their neck with their booking code so they can find their place in the queue accordingly.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 1:22 pm

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
So GVA this afternoon. The 729 back to LHR is already suffering a delay of 30 minutes or so - I think we ended up at 45 eventually.
Now for those of you who don't know the route, it can often be a great sense of amusement.
We were called to the gate from the lounge and there was already a queue around 20 deep in the priority lane - despite boarding not eventually commencing for another 15 minutes or so.
Then the announcement for Gold, Club etc and I joined the back of the queue which rapidly thinned out as the non-entitled were told to wait their turns. Two older "gentlemen" sidled in from the side in front of me but I let it go.
The nice lady at the gate looked at their BP's and said that as Bronzes they shouldn't really be boarding at this point, but she would let them this time. (I think she mentioned something about them being Senior!)
At this point, the taller of the two then launches into a rant about when did this change, he has always been entitled to priority boarding etc and how Easyjet never spoke to him like this etc etc.
His smaller, similarly unentitled, companion simply egged him on and off they go - 10 yards. As happens often, the tensa barrier at the top of the stairs was still across so the queue was backed up down the stairs.
These two then started to rant and moan to each other, looking around for support from others about how disgusting the wait was, where was anyone in charge, the station manager, Im going to write in etc. They really were by now looking like pompous prats.
Im about to tell them to belt up, when the barrier goes up and we start to board. The small one then starts to get agitated about now having to wait on the airbridge and starts to tell his mate how he is going to talk to the purser and give him "what for". His mate tells him thats what he is good at, and is looking forward to it.
The poor guy at the door then cops a load of drivel from the dwarf, sorry, smaller companion, and is asked to stand to one side so as not to impede boarding.
I actually know the CSM and had seen him earlier in the airport and simply winked at him as I boarded.
He embarrassingly proceeded to give me a very OTT welcome, how valued my custom was and so forth. It was quite funny to see the bronze dwarf subtly cut off from his moaning and he simply ran out of steam as he now made his deflated way to the back.
It brightened my afternoon anyway..
Old Mar 3, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Beano HK
So GVA this afternoon. The 729 back to LHR is already suffering a delay of 30 minutes or so - I think we ended up at 45 eventually.
Now for those of you who don't know the route, it can often be a great sense of amusement.
We were called to the gate from the lounge and there was already a queue around 20 deep in the priority lane - despite boarding not eventually commencing for another 15 minutes or so.
Then the announcement for Gold, Club etc and I joined the back of the queue which rapidly thinned out as the non-entitled were told to wait their turns. Two older "gentlemen" sidled in from the side in front of me but I let it go.
The nice lady at the gate looked at their BP's and said that as Bronzes they shouldn't really be boarding at this point, but she would let them this time. (I think she mentioned something about them being Senior!)
At this point, the taller of the two then launches into a rant about when did this change, he has always been entitled to priority boarding etc and how Easyjet never spoke to him like this etc etc.
His smaller, similarly unentitled, companion simply egged him on and off they go - 10 yards. As happens often, the tensa barrier at the top of the stairs was still across so the queue was backed up down the stairs.
These two then started to rant and moan to each other, looking around for support from others about how disgusting the wait was, where was anyone in charge, the station manager, Im going to write in etc. They really were by now looking like pompous prats.
Im about to tell them to belt up, when the barrier goes up and we start to board. The small one then starts to get agitated about now having to wait on the airbridge and starts to tell his mate how he is going to talk to the purser and give him "what for". His mate tells him thats what he is good at, and is looking forward to it.
The poor guy at the door then cops a load of drivel from the dwarf, sorry, smaller companion, and is asked to stand to one side so as not to impede boarding.
I actually know the CSM and had seen him earlier in the airport and simply winked at him as I boarded.
He embarrassingly proceeded to give me a very OTT welcome, how valued my custom was and so forth. It was quite funny to see the bronze dwarf subtly cut off from his moaning and he simply ran out of steam as he now made his deflated way to the back.
Imagine what would have happened if you didn't let it go after all...
Old Mar 3, 2017, 5:47 pm

In the priority line at Tampa, waiting to board the BA flight to London, us Club World passengers were patiently waiting to shuffle on early, when an elderly couple push past us to the head of the queue. I politely point out that there is a queue. The man retorts grandly, 'we have priority because we are in Club'. I reply that everyone in the queue has the same priority because we are all Club passengers. His dear lady wife chimes in, with an unmistakeable air of triumph, 'But WE are FULL FARE passengers. Most of the people here look as if they have had free upgrades, or are using air miles'. Micro-seconds before a riot breaks out, a staffer appears and insists the couple go to the back of the queue. Which they reluctantly do, amid much huffing and puffing and threats to 'take this insult up at the highest level'.
Lord and Lady Tebbit perhaps?
Old Mar 3, 2017, 5:49 pm

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
Originally Posted by Fitch
I like to think I would have the presence of mind to boldly walk back up the jetway and announce "All fixed now, have a safe flight !"
This right here is genuine, 24 carat, genius! I pray to whatever urges and demiurges exist out there on the astral plane that I remember this line for the inevitable future time that I need it...
Old Mar 3, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Originally Posted by NeedstoFly
Surely he would be on staff travel.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Beano HK
i admire the way you've turned it into your very own DYKWIA moment
Old Mar 3, 2017, 11:19 pm

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Originally Posted by IAN-UK

i did ponder whether to put that part in but decided for completeness it had to go in...

i wasn't even going to mention the special services lady airbridge meet at LHR...

Last edited by Beano HK; Mar 3, 2017 at 11:19 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 4, 2017, 2:21 am

Programs: BA Bronze
I have images of Hyacinth Bucket (Bouquet !) ....insert ' I will not have the paperboy delivering our paper in that manner Richard' where 'most of the people here look like they have had free upgrades'
That has started my weekend off with a laugh ^^
Old Mar 4, 2017, 4:12 am

Programs: BA Bronze, IHG Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NeedstoFly
​​​​Only if the Lady had been in a wheelchair, in which case I suspect they wouldn't have been turned away from the front of priority!

​​
Old Mar 4, 2017, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
That is the goal here
Old Mar 4, 2017, 4:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
Something truly sad about bragging you paid full price for those battered old wrecks on that route. To clarify that's the planes not the passengers.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
However, I was rudely stopped upon walking onto the plane. Why you may ask? Well, because I was about to board a flight to Bangkok and not Singapore...the SIN gate had been changed to H4, and I hadn't bothered to check.

So, a very very embarrassing walk back up the jetway, past the same people I had skipped past, up the stairs, past security, and over to H4.
In fairness, I can empathize with you. I too was at KUL to board my SIN flight at H4 recently. NOBODY actually took a look at my boarding pass until I got on the plane... I happened to dump my passport and boarding pass into the same tray that held my laptop at scanning upon entering H4... none of the guards took even a glance at it... and I never met any MH ground crew at the boarding gate either.

MH's approach to security here is disturbingly nonchalant, I'm shocked to discover.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.