Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA - The 2017 thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:23 pm

The FAA rules state that small musical instruments (including guitars) should be treated no differently than other carry-on luggage in terms of space (ie first come first served). There's no requirement that a guitar must always be allowed in the cabin or that guitars be given priority over other luggage.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 3:36 pm

Really quite unpleasant scene on last nights 18.45 LCY-DUS flight. Boarding involved a walk from terminal across tarmac to the steps. We were clearly asked not to use phones between once boarding passes had been scanned until we were on the plane. Mr I'm So Important Dutch young chap obviously thought this didn't apply to him. When asked by the CSM to switch the phone off as he approached the steps he threw the most obnoxious strop, which continued up the steps and in the doorway. Some very bad language, I take this flight every week type attitude. Imagine how my heart sank when he proceeded to sit next to me.
The CSM then got on with boarding the rest of the flight etc then after the trolley run came to talk to him to explain the rules. Off he kicked again. The CSM tried hard, really nice youngish chap called Stuart I think. He got nowhere.
Personally I'd be turning the blokes booking away in future. I mentioned to the CSM that he shouldn't have apologised as I exited and he smiled and said better to try and sort it, and thanked me for my support.
Is there any point writing in and commending him?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Girl in my French class: “Wow, so i told my FlyerTalk friend your FlyerTalk pen name and he knows you! I cannot believe we both know <FlyerTalker>, it really is such a small world!”
Me: “I have no idea who that is.”

(With apologies to the man in question... I will buy you a beer if we meet.)
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:55 pm

Programs: GGL
Originally Posted by thatsthebadger
Really quite unpleasant scene on last nights 18.45 LCY-DUS flight. Boarding involved a walk from terminal across tarmac to the steps. We were clearly asked not to use phones between once boarding passes had been scanned until we were on the plane. Mr I'm So Important Dutch young chap obviously thought this didn't apply to him. When asked by the CSM to switch the phone off as he approached the steps he threw the most obnoxious strop, which continued up the steps and in the doorway. Some very bad language, I take this flight every week type attitude. Imagine how my heart sank when he proceeded to sit next to me.
The CSM then got on with boarding the rest of the flight etc then after the trolley run came to talk to him to explain the rules. Off he kicked again. The CSM tried hard, really nice youngish chap called Stuart I think. He got nowhere.
Personally I'd be turning the blokes booking away in future. I mentioned to the CSM that he shouldn't have apologised as I exited and he smiled and said better to try and sort it, and thanked me for my support.
Is there any point writing in and commending him?
in my opinion you should
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:47 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by Calchas
Girl in my French class: “Wow, so i told my FlyerTalk friend your FlyerTalk pen name and he knows you! I cannot believe we both know <FlyerTalker>, it really is such a small world!”
Me: “I have no idea who that is.”

(With apologies to the man in question... I will buy you a beer if we meet.)
oui oui it's me! I'd love a beer
Old Mar 30, 2017, 11:04 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Charlie26r
oui oui it's me! I'd love a beer
Like all good FTers, he'll get you one in the lounge!
Old Mar 31, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by madfish
Like all good FTers, he'll get you one in the lounge!
One can hope...
Old Mar 31, 2017, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SBR249
The FAA rules state that small musical instruments (including guitars) should be treated no differently than other carry-on luggage in terms of space (ie first come first served). There's no requirement that a guitar must always be allowed in the cabin or that guitars be given priority over other luggage.
FAA? The Chilean aviation authority is the Dirección General de Aeronáutica Civil.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
Originally Posted by SBR249
FAA? What Jurisdiction do they have anywhere but the states?
Old Apr 2, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: The Embassy
Originally Posted by BLHD
FAA? What Jurisdiction do they have anywhere but the states?
The Qatar safety screenings (and I'm sure I've heard it said on other carriers) used to say "It's a Federal Offense to smoke".
Old Apr 2, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
Originally Posted by zebrametalevel
The Qatar safety screenings (and I'm sure I've heard it said on other carriers) used to say "It's a Federal Offense to smoke".
Oh goodness - it really does amuse me.

SBR249 The FAA has jurisdiction over a single country out of 196.

zebrametalevel The word federal is not unique or even original to the United States.

The United Arab Emirates is a federation of seven emirates and and can express overall law thus.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by noFODplease
The United Arab Emirates is a federation of seven emirates and and can express overall law thus.
But not in Qatar, which isn't part of that federation.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 5:12 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CR
Originally Posted by KARFA
At £1,300 ph that must be some serious knowledge from your solicitor. Anyway, back on topic....
Karfa - before I left private practice, I was a mere snip at 900 per hour. I was always amazed I was gainfully employed!!
Old Apr 2, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: The Embassy
Originally Posted by noFODplease
Oh goodness - it really does amuse me.

zebrametalevel The word federal is not unique or even original to the United States.

I'm glad you find it amusing! But now you'll explain what the UAE has to do with Qatar?
Old Apr 2, 2017, 5:29 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pablol
Karfa - before I left private practice, I was a mere snip at 900 per hour. I was always amazed I was gainfully employed!!
I don't doubt it

When I left I think I was just under £250 (outside London) but that was shortly before being fully qualified. Now I am an in-house patent attorney I have no rate since we don't bill back to the various business. I like to think my value is no longer quantifiable on a monetary scale

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.