Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA - The 2017 thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2017, 6:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
I would like to 'fess up to some possible DYKWIA behaviour by myself today. I'm off to JFK on AA and as always at T3 my boarding pass didn't work at the automatic security gate things so I went to the lady behind the computer. She scanned my mobile boarding card then started reading her "who's allowed through fast track sheet" intently. Then she asks me to giver her my "emerald card" (it says OW emerald on the BP) so I flash my BA gold card.

She then tells me "sorry gold isn't on the list" so I point out that gold = emerald, she goes "well BA gold doesn't work on American" I get a bit exasperated at this point and think I have to start explaining the concept of airline alliances to her. Luckily she gives up and says it's ok she will let me through, I explained she should probably learn this stuff better.

I would like to apologise for my DYKWIAishness (I had been stuck in traffic on the M25 so was already in a bad mood). Forgive me father for I have sinned.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 6:55 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Joely
I would like to apologise for my DYKWIAishness (I had been stuck in traffic on the M25 so was already in a bad mood). Forgive me father for I have sinned.
Sounds reasonable to me. But then I've had the same problem at T3 (with the same result).
Old Apr 9, 2017, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I don't know that it's DYKWIA behavior to politely ask for what you are entitled. Now if you were demanding it at the top of your lungs or asking for her to break the rules for you, that would be another story.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by mrvincent
Sounds reasonable to me. But then I've had the same problem at T3 (with the same result).
T3 is kinda weird. I put my toiletries in a clear zip up bag along with razor at, the only place I ever have this questioned and asked to put it in one of the zip lock plastic bags is T3.

Originally Posted by wrp96
I don't know that it's DYKWIA behavior to politely ask for what you are entitled. Now if you were demanding it at the top of your lungs or asking for her to break the rules for you, that would be another story.
Maybe not but I felt I got a bit snippy. You would have thought they would train people on this kind of stuff, she was probably a bit new....
Old Apr 9, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
Originally Posted by impeymac
I've found an effective method is to say nothing, but sit reasonably close by visibly taking notes & nodding as if in agreement.
Love this!!!!
Old Apr 9, 2017, 9:29 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, VS Gold, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by Joely
I would like to 'fess up to some possible DYKWIA behaviour by myself today. I'm off to JFK on AA and as always at T3 my boarding pass didn't work at the automatic security gate things so I went to the lady behind the computer. She scanned my mobile boarding card then started reading her "who's allowed through fast track sheet" intently. Then she asks me to giver her my "emerald card" (it says OW emerald on the BP) so I flash my BA gold card.

She then tells me "sorry gold isn't on the list" so I point out that gold = emerald, she goes "well BA gold doesn't work on American" I get a bit exasperated at this point and think I have to start explaining the concept of airline alliances to her. Luckily she gives up and says it's ok she will let me through, I explained she should probably learn this stuff better.

Would have pointing at the emerald colour thingum below the oneworld logo help?

I must admit though that these kinda things make me a bit annoyed because it does show that the employee isn't willing to try to learn more about the intricacies of her job, or even possess a positive attitude for learning things she hasn't yet know of.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Also just bizarre - she must be very, very new or a slow learner....I mean, it's not like BA Golds are a rare species at LHR T3...
Old Apr 9, 2017, 12:02 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by ratypus
Also just bizarre - she must be very, very new or a slow learner....I mean, it's not like BA Golds are a rare species at LHR T3...
Quite, especially so considering the BP had EMERALD printed/endorsed on it.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 12:09 pm

It was kinda strange, she knew I was a BA gold and she knew I was a OW emerald and on her sheet it even said one world emerald under American Airlines but she couldn't seem to link the two somehow....
Old Apr 9, 2017, 3:16 pm
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Doesn't sound DYKWIA at all. It's just so frustrating as the customer when people don't know their job. The sooner that (correctly programmed) computers are incorporated into running this sort of thing, the better.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by impeymac
I've found an effective method is to say nothing, but sit reasonably close by visibly taking notes & nodding as if in agreement.
Seen on another thread and used with great effect.
Simply pass the caller this note:
"You don't know who I am
You don't know where I work.
You don't know who I know."

Seems to work every time.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Petrus
The solution is to sit next to them and talk loudly with your companion or call someone on face time/video/skype and return the favour. That teaches them.
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia