Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA - The 2017 thread

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2017, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Club pax should be guaranteed two bags, imho ...
Old May 13, 2017, 9:30 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Shame on the gate agent, this makes me mad. There is no need to restrict Club pax to a single item. There is plenty room for both 'regulation' bags to be stored
Originally Posted by Calchas
Club pax should be guaranteed two bags, imho ...
I concur. As I noted in another thread, this happened to me too and I simply said no when I was asked to gate check my bag. Clearly the agent (in my case) didn't bother about status or class of travel. The same happened here, so I start to believe that this might be procedure. No exceptions to be made it seems.
Old May 13, 2017, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Shame on the gate agent, this makes me mad. There is no need to restrict Club pax to a single item. There is plenty room for both 'regulation' bags to be stored
I agree.If they try that on me I will simply offload and demand a refund.When I buy my ticket the website says I am entitled to 1 carry on and 1 personal item.If BA want to change this,make it transparent when I buy my ticket.
Cotumely likes this.
Old May 13, 2017, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I generated my own DYKWIA moment yesterday morning...
I had a similar situation on DL a few years ago. Overnight domestic flight, lightly loaded and arrive at the gate in the midst, but fairly early stages of boarding. GA states the overhead lockers are full and anything that can't fit under the seat in front must be gate checked which seemed really bizarre as I'd just missed Sky Priority boarding and this was a 757. Why would the overheads be full? I suspect it was just laziness and a hope to get the aircraft out quickly so the GAs could head home as it was a 12.45am departure.

I decide not to put up a fight and the bag had a valet tag placed on it by the GA. I yank the tag off it as I walk down the jetbridge and bypass the guy gathering the bags from other passengers. Nothing was said and there was a ton of overhead space onboard. I think I had to put my rollerbag maybe one row away from where I sat.
Old May 13, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
I probably had my first DYKWIA moment in April. Booked on a BA/AA combo, I had to check a bag and made my way to the two BA check-in desks.

The queue of Y was empty and the priority queue was packed. Certainly strange, but I'm rapidly joined by another OWE traveling in CE. He discreetly talks to a CI agent and the CI agent proceeds by waving me over. That's when I meet Mr. and Mrs. X that give me the death look, because I apparently cut the line.

Fast forward to boarding, the GA asks CE and status holders to board first. I queue behind my newly made friend. Mr. and Mrs. X decide to follow me and are totally and utterly bewildered when the GA sends them to the back of the guy.

After flying a couple of holds above London, we land at LHR and I make my way through T3 security and to the AA transfer desk. Mr. and Mrs. X follow a couple of moments later and walk up to the desk I was standing at. I get the death look again when they are told to go to the desk dedicated for economy passengers.

I managed to get two people to absolutely loathe me and giving them the impression that I must be one of the DYKWIA within 4 hours without doing anything. FFS, why are these people following me?
Old May 15, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Experienced a failed DYKWIA on Saturday at LGW.

Priority boarding was called (the old way of CE/Gold/Silver/Bronze/Tin/Paper all in one go, but thats another story) and it was a bit of a free for all. From behind me, I hear a young lady repeatedly saying "excuse me, excuse me" and barging her way through to the front of the line. I assumed she had an issue that needed to be sorted by the gate agents and didn't think much more about it, going by the way she was so assertive at getting to the front of the queue. Until I heard the gate agent quite loudly say "are you in business class or a frequent flyer madam? Were only boarding those at the moment, please wait until your row is called".
Old May 15, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
At which point one hopes for a smilingly said "GGL flying in First today, thank you for asking "
Old May 15, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Fitch
At which point one hopes for a smilingly said "GGL flying in First today, thank you for asking "
I'm not convinced that makes it any less rude to cut up the priority queue...
Old May 15, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Was flying DOH-IST on qatar with me and my daughter in row 42 and my wife and 3 year old son in row 43 (the second to last row). A woman a few rows ahead in black robes said she couldnt sit next to a man and wanted a seat as far away from men as possible so they moved her to the row behind us.

She then put her feet between the chairs onto my Sons armrest (who was sleeping), full stretch and when my wife asked her to move it, she said "dont worry I wont touch his face"
I then stood up to confront her (looking pis*ed of course) and the leg retracted before I could open my mouth.

Apparently, when I was sleeping, she tried it again later and said "let me know if its ok" to my wife, who was much more polite in saying no than I would have been.

She also made life difficult for the attendants all flight with her demands. Not a pleasant experience.
Old May 15, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Originally Posted by englisha
Apparently, when I was sleeping, she tried it again later and said "let me know if its ok" to my wife, who was much more polite in saying no than I would have been.
I read this post out to Mr WSM who declared "If she'd tried that with me I'd have stabbed her in the foot with a pen." I can't take him anywhere!
Old May 15, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: BA Oneworld
Originally Posted by englisha
A woman a few rows ahead in black robes said she couldnt sit next to a man and wanted a seat as far away from men as possible so they moved her to the row behind us..
Out of curiosity, would BA have allowed this; can a person refuse to be seated next to a passenger based on their sex?
Old May 15, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by WickedStepMother
I read this post out to Mr WSM who declared "If she'd tried that with me I'd have stabbed her in the foot with a pen." I can't take him anywhere!
As I opened this from my subscribed threads, your post was the last one I could see, so I read that before the one prior to yours - I thought how odd to bend down to stab someone in the foot with a pen

Old May 16, 2017, 3:13 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by BrianWBrazil
Out of curiosity, would BA have allowed this; can a person refuse to be seated next to a passenger based on their sex?
It's a religious/cultural thing. I spend a bit of time in Saudi and it's like musical chairs when you get on board a flight over there, whilst everyone organises themselves so no woman is sat next to a man she doesn't know. It's just what happens. Similarly you wouldn't get in a lift if it stopped on your floor and opened to reveal a woman inside. You just wait for the next one.

The subsequent behaviour of the pax is, of course, unacceptable.

I would imagine the crew would have been conscious of not being seen to be adapting to accommodate someone's beliefs.
Old May 16, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If there was an open seat I expect BA would permit the passenger to change seats when it was safe to do so.

But if it required reshuffling other pax I don't think any ground would be given.
Old May 16, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Depends if they can. If nobody is willing to swap seats and that there are no more free seats available, I expect the crew to say no to such a request.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.