Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA - The 2017 thread

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2017, 11:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by quakered
For an airport handling 3(?) BA flights a day,
Irrelevant. BA specifically chose SIN and DXB to put these CCR bars into, so they really should have done it properly and made it a proper premium space. Not just a darker, colder, smaller space to sit away from other passengers.

That being said, the QF lounge generally has excellent food, so I'll tend to wander over there if I'm hungry.
Old May 7, 2017, 12:01 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by TonyHancock
As these things often do it petered out into a sort of inevitable stalemate.

The CCR Bar was way to warm for me, those pesky FT members playing with the controls I suspect.
Good grief, what sort of DYKWIA changed that to being too warm from freezing!?
Old May 7, 2017, 1:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Cool

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Irrelevant. BA specifically chose SIN and DXB to put these CCR bars into, so they really should have done it properly and made it a proper premium space. Not just a darker, colder, smaller space to sit away from other passengers.

That being said, the QF lounge generally has excellent food, so I'll tend to wander over there if I'm hungry.
I certainly wouldn't describe the QF Lounge food as excellent. More substantial than the BA offering, agreed. But it is a typical unimaginative salad bar offering at one side of the canteen type area with a couple of warm items over at the other side. The two items you have to order are not always good, my wife tells me the Laksa currently on offer is rather bland and not very good at all, in fact it turned her stomach.

EDIT: Oops, just realised we're in the DYKWIA topic!
Old May 7, 2017, 3:28 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
If people expect the CCR bar to be like the CCR in the home airport they are sadly mistaken. I been there once and really enjoyed it.

A fresh panini, that I doubt came from the buffet, nice champagne (but I would have preferred LPGS), comfortable seating, and privacy. Edit, I just posted some pictures in the Singapore lounge thread.

I did not think it was hot or cold, but that could have easily been dealt with by asking the friendly staff.

I know who I am.
Globalist

Last edited by Globalist; May 7, 2017 at 3:58 am Reason: Added some pictures in the right thread
Old May 7, 2017, 3:33 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Globalist
If people expect the CCR bar to be like the CCR in the home airport they are sadly mistaken. I been there once and really enjoyed it.

A fresh panini, that I doubt came from the buffet, nice champagne (but I would have preferred LPGS), comfortable seating, and privacy.

I did not think it was hot or cold, but that could have easily been dealt with by asking the friendly staff.

I know who I am.
Globalist
I don't understand why BA won't serve LPGS (or similar) in their CCRs/Bs. This is an area that is by definition limited to only those travelling in F, with the occasional CCR card holder / prem. If they'll serve it in the air and on the ground in LHR, why do they serve £30 crap everywhere else?
Old May 7, 2017, 3:37 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
Going through DUB Fast Track just now I was stuck behind a German couple.

At the BP check, they first didn't want to hand over their BP or passport for checking just their FFP card, next they further irritated the lady on duty by demanding she gave them their free newspaper that apparently LH offers. They didn't like her response that she is security not anything to do with the airline.

Moving onto the security check they both refused to remove their belts as "they are difficult to do up". They then complained when they both he to be wanded as they set off the metal detector, he also had pocket full of loose change. He had the cheek to complain that security were slowing their progress through the airport down.
Old May 7, 2017, 5:26 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I certainly wouldn't describe the QF Lounge food as excellent. More substantial than the BA offering, agreed. But it is a typical unimaginative salad bar offering at one side of the canteen type area with a couple of warm items over at the other side. The two items you have to order are not always good, my wife tells me the Laksa currently on offer is rather bland and not very good at all, in fact it turned her stomach.
I've always found the Asian option at their wok station little section to be very good. Certainly never had a bad dish here, but of course it's hardly Michelin star either.
Old May 7, 2017, 5:45 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL

The CCR Bar was way too warm for me, those pesky FT members playing with the controls I suspect.
Ha🤣
Old May 7, 2017, 5:53 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ, BA CCR GGL
Originally Posted by Globalist

A fresh panini, that I doubt came from the buffet, nice champagne (but I would have preferred LPGS), comfortable seating, and privacy. Edit, I just posted some pictures in the Singapore lounge thread.

I know who I am.
Globalist
So you've never tried to ask them? Have had repeated problems wearing long trousers, full shirt sleeves and jacket etc. Only when I had a 7 hour tech sojourn did I go looking for the controls and to everyone's approval jacked up the temperature.Now rather than asking, and being ignored repeatedly, I subtly just slip in behind and move the dial to 22 rather than 16.If that's DYKWIA then guilty!
All that said, I prefer the QF lounge for food and draught beer!
Old May 7, 2017, 6:13 am

Programs: BA Silver
As these things often do it petered out into a sort of inevitable stalemate.

The most senior person representing BA was summoned and duly arrived. My assumption is that she was contract staff. She offered an email address to which Mr DYKWIA repeatedly advised that it was her job not his to follow up. When he realised this was the best he was going to get he retreated sheepishly to a booth watched by the other 7 occupants of the CCR Bar. He muttered something about Virgin but I didn't hear that clearly.

The CCR Bar was way too warm for me, those pesky FT members playing with the controls I suspect.
He must have been aghast when he realised she wasn't going to don a chef's hat and steam him a Boston lobster on the spot.
Old May 7, 2017, 6:17 am

Programs: BA GGL, FB Platinum, Delta Nothing, HHonors Diamond, IAG Gold Ambassador, Ritz Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Nuster
So you've never tried to ask them? Have had repeated problems wearing long trousers, full shirt sleeves and jacket etc. Only when I had a 7 hour tech sojourn did I go looking for the controls and to everyone's approval jacked up the temperature.Now rather than asking, and being ignored repeatedly, I subtly just slip in behind and move the dial to 22 rather than 16.If that's DYKWIA then guilty!
LOL....if we are ever there at the same time we can have a DYKWIA showdown, because I will be turning it back to 16! Though the missus may take your side, I susepect. 😎🤓😎
Old May 7, 2017, 6:39 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Originally Posted by Nuster
Ok, I confess. I never asked them (no need to) but my impression was they were helpful and I would say good enough to solve an issue. Of course I could be wrong... well no, IAAR.. ask my partner.

I was not freezing..

Globalist
Old May 12, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, then a handful of points on everything else.
Dropping my bag off for the delayed BA875 from Budapest to Heathrow this evening (the first time I've checked a bag in about a year), the desks open at exactly 120 minutes before departure. By this time a reasonably long queue has built up at the priority bag drop.

At this point an older couple push in with a trolley of a few large cases (with tags from a large cruise line). There is some grumbling and one of the staff talks to them, but does nothing. One of the couple is holding their arms out as if in dismay.

Meanwhile the four non-priority queues for bag drop disappear rapidly, so I join the end of one of those as the single priority queue is fairly slow. The couple get to the desk, spend a few minutes there and are sent away again for reasons unknown and with more arm gestures.

As I'm snaking through the security line, they appear at the fast track and try to walk straight up to the automatic barrier without presenting their boarding passes. Needless to say this fails on two counts -- firstly the lack of a barcode to open the gate, and secondly because BA has no access to fast track security at BUD.

Skip forward a couple of hours to boarding.

BUD has three queues at the gate. Priority, front half of plane, and rear half of plane. I and my colleagues head for the priority queue and see the same couple waiting at one of the others.

Pre-boarding begins and some wheelchairs are brought forward and a couple of families with children. This provokes more arm gestures.

Priority boarding begins and their frustration grows and the arms are getting ever higher.

Finally, a few people in front of me, they pull the Tensa barrier out from one side and walk through. I and a few others look quizzically at them, there's a small stream of words I can't quite make out and, you guessed it, some more movement of the arms which is met with a very British set of slightly patronising smiles and laughs from everybody else.

As they're being dealt with by one gate agent, I reach the next one and overhear them talking about being in First Class and complaining about not being called forward.

I am well down the jetway whilst they're still at the gate, and soon I am seated in 1A with other people in 1D and 1F.

Several minutes later they appear at the top of the aisle, note that row 1 is mostly occupied, and guess what, raise their arms and turn back to the cabin crew before heading down to row 3.

Now, air travel can be stressful and confusing, and the flight was quite delayed, so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that this was all down to infrequent travellers not understanding that quite a lot of people are entitled to board (and drop bags, and head through security) as early as they are. I'll also add that as far as I could see they were no trouble at all to the lovely cabin crew. It was still, definitely, a DYKWIA moment (or several moments) though, and taken in remarkably good humour by almost all of the people they pushed in front of.
Old May 13, 2017, 3:36 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
I generated my own DYKWIA moment yesterday morning...

Just before priority boarding begins for the early morning LHR-EDI flight, an announcement is made that it is a completely full flight and that no one will be allowed more than one piece of hand luggage, those that have more and those that don't need their luggage on board are requested to come forward to have it stowed in the hold. People start to come forward and ten minutes is spent dealing with this. Then these clearly non-priority passengers begin to self-board.

Priority boarding is called a few minutes later and I try and disguise my roller case and weekend bag atop it. Agent is having none of that.

GA: "Completely full flight sir, I'm not going to let you have both of those in the cabin. We'll be putting the suitcase in the hold."

Me: <astonished> "A gold card holder in Club can't bring two bags on board, since when?"

GA: "Full flight, one bag only. Rules." He tags it and send me off with "Go down the jetty, there will be someone standing near a blue dot who will take that for you."

Me: <passive aggressive under breath rumblings about last ever BA flight>

I stand at the junction point inside the jetty. There is no one there. I wait about a minute, other passengers are filing by me. No one shows up. The hell with this I think, and board.

Tear off the tag and place both bags in the space above 1A. Sit down in 1A. CSD hangs up my coat. CE is eventually 10/16 with minimal hand luggage. No one at all in 1D/F and woman next to me has tiny purse.

Shame on me.
Cotumely likes this.
Old May 13, 2017, 3:55 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by LondonElite
... Shame on me.
Shame on the gate agent, this makes me mad. There is no need to restrict Club pax to a single item. There is plenty room for both 'regulation' bags to be stored
Cotumely likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.