Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA - The 2017 thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2017, 11:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Honours Silver, Marriott, Hyatt, IHG
Originally Posted by DoctorCopper
So how many hellos from the CSD did Antony John Birkett wish for? According to the twitter feed above he had at least one. From the evidence presented, it is not entirely clear if he shared seat 61k with either his wife (whom he claims never to have seen and may have been a man) or they seemingly had a ménage à trois with the CSD. Doc Copper
Bugger! Now I need a second vote for "post of the week" - maybe a 2-4-1?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:13 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott GFL
Angry Their "face" to the world

Removed my comment lest I prove how I misunderstood the tweet... Thanks :/

Last edited by LCSinTexas; Apr 7, 2017 at 3:00 am
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:39 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by LCSinTexas
BA's tweeter doesn't capitalise, and has obviously forgotten the Queens English. Not the best way to represent your company, in my opinion.

Sorry, things like this bothers me the most when the writer is the professional image of a firm.
The Ba tweet you can see in the image is the second part of a "two-tweet" tweet being more than 140 characters.. I have not seen the first half but could end "is your wife" (flying too?)...
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:56 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by LCSinTexas
BA's tweeter doesn't capitalise, and has obviously forgotten the Queens English. Not the best way to represent your company, in my opinion.

Sorry, things like this bothers me the most when the writer is the professional image of a firm.
People educated with proper English grammer cost more....
Old Apr 7, 2017, 2:18 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
The Ba tweet you can see in the image is the second part of a "two-tweet" tweet being more than 140 characters.. I have not seen the first half but could end "is your wife" (flying too?)...
Regardless of the preceding sentence it would be "[...]flying, too?" with a comma. Quite a small thing to get annoyed by though in the greater scheme of things.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 2:25 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
And we're back to "Do You Know How English Grammar Is Written" (DYKHEGIW)?

(I have no doubt that grammar will be corrected).
Old Apr 7, 2017, 2:43 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Worcester
The general standard of English has deteriorated considerably in the United Kingdom. That is assuming the BA twitter team are in the United Kingdom!
Old Apr 7, 2017, 2:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Originally Posted by Worcester
And people educated in a proper English grammar school should know how to spell grammar!

Last edited by WickedStepMother; Apr 7, 2017 at 3:29 am Reason: Incorrect spelling! Oops!
Old Apr 7, 2017, 6:27 am

An odd and rather aggressive DYKWIA-cabin crew wannabe last night on my usual Thursday night's hop from Copenhagen to Gdańsk (apologies - this was on SAS but there's no such thread on the relevant forum). So: safety demonstration followed by the usual You may continue to use your phone as long as it is set on flight mode and bla-bla-bla and, as I settle with some Depeche Mode through my earphones whilst lining up for take-off, a chap gets up from his seat (one row behind, on the other side, middle seat) screaming (yes, indeed) and gesticulating like a buffoon, to which I went "What's your problem?" and him "You should turn your mobile phone off!" (in a very broken English)... I probably shouldn't have reacted that way but I told him to mind his own f****** business, to which (bizarrely) he went "Why?" and myself, again, clear and concise, "Because you should mind your own f-word business" (he then sat down again and apparently calmed down...). Hilarious (for all the wrong reasons) - I had never experienced something like that...

G
Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
a chap gets up from his seat (one row behind, on the other side, middle seat) screaming (yes, indeed) and gesticulating like a buffoon, to which I went "What's your problem?" and him "You should turn your mobile phone off!" (in a very broken English)... I probably shouldn't have reacted that way but I told him to mind his own f****** business, to which (bizarrely) he went "Why?" and myself, again, clear and concise, "Because you should mind your own f-word business" (he then sat down again and apparently calmed down...). Hilarious (for all the wrong reasons) - I had never experienced something like that...
I had a less extreme version happen to me, although the guy turned out to actually be off duty BA cabin crew (or if not cabin crew, he was in BA uniform with a name badge).

Landing in LHR in fog, so all devices switched completely off per crew instructions. Headphones still in my ears because to my knowledge that doesn't yet interfere with planes.

I got tapped on the shoulder by the guy behind me, and the guy behind him says (not quite shouting but plenty of finger jabbing) "YOU, you're listening to something, your phone has to be OFF, completely OFF". Showed him my phone was off and turned back around.

Amazed when we stood up at the end and he turned out to be in BA uniform. I think I'd have appreciated a "just checking your phone is off" or similar - better to be safe then sorry. But not sure why we can't all just be nice to each other Or what goes through a person's head to presumptuously shout at a customer when you're representing your employer.

On a vaguely more DYKWIA note, entering LHR Galleries First with my girlfriend and the desk agent says to me "and this is your guest?". He looked uber sheepish when she handed over her gold boarding pass! No big deal to us obviously, but his reaction was funny - a bit disappointed we had no witty DYKWIA comeback ready. I assumed "Are you bringing in any guests today" was a standard script, but perhaps not.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
I wish they'd build these phone boot compartments in the lounges similar to the ones in the JAL lounges. A rather loud chap making the Champagne Bar his personal conference room now unfortunately. Which is luckily still better than the extremely packed other areas. Or too much DYKWIA?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:27 am

Initially, as I got tapped on the shoulder, I indeed thought it could have either been a member of the cabin crew or even somebody wanting to point something out (e.g. dropped item) but then, as I turned to see what the heck was going on, he seemed really agitated and his rather brisk gesticulation (oh, I hate that) really annoyed me, reason why I lost the plot and swore at him (I admit, though, I did regret it). God knows why he flipped like that and just as we were basically seconds away from take-off... Interestingly enough, his mates didn't say a word and there was no follow-up at the end of the flight (I looked at him briefly as I wanted to have another go - he remained seated with his arms crossed pretending as if nothing had happened). Ah well...

G

Originally Posted by woglet86
I think I'd have appreciated a "just checking your phone is off" or similar - better to be safe then sorry. But not sure why we can't all just be nice to each other.
Agreed...

G
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
An odd and rather aggressive DYKWIA-cabin crew wannabe last night on my usual Thursday night's hop from Copenhagen to Gdańsk (apologies - this was on SAS but there's no such thread on the relevant forum). So: safety demonstration followed by the usual You may continue to use your phone as long as it is set on flight mode and bla-bla-bla and, as I settle with some Depeche Mode through my earphones whilst lining up for take-off, a chap gets up from his seat (one row behind, on the other side, middle seat) screaming (yes, indeed) and gesticulating like a buffoon, to which I went "What's your problem?" and him "You should turn your mobile phone off!" (in a very broken English)... I probably shouldn't have reacted that way but I told him to mind his own f****** business, to which (bizarrely) he went "Why?" and myself, again, clear and concise, "Because you should mind your own f-word business" (he then sat down again and apparently calmed down...). Hilarious (for all the wrong reasons) - I had never experienced something like that...

G
Initially, as I got tapped on the shoulder, I indeed thought it could have either been a member of the cabin crew or even somebody wanting to point something out (e.g. dropped item) but then, as I turned to see what the heck was going on, he seemed really agitated and his rather brisk gesticulation (oh, I hate that) really annoyed me, reason why I lost the plot and swore at him (I admit, though, I did regret it). God knows why he flipped like that and just as we were basically seconds away from take-off... Interestingly enough, his mates didn't say a word and there was no follow-up at the end of the flight (I looked at him briefly as I wanted to have another go - he remained seated with his arms crossed pretending as if nothing had happened). Ah well...

G

Agreed...

G
You could have replied "Thank you for checking but my phone is off" but instead you resorted to foul language which is never OK.

As for wanting to have another go at the end of the flight........
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: FB LT Plat, BA LTG, LH HON
Judge not, lest ye be judged!
Old Apr 7, 2017, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by HilFly
but instead you resorted to foul language which is never OK
True and, as I stated above, I did regret it (to the point that I didn't sleep well last night), but I guess it is pretty common feeling in such circumstances, in exactly the same way as the You should have done this and that post-event lessons from the pundits who weren't there in the first instance

G

Last edited by AlicorporateUK; Apr 7, 2017 at 1:18 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.