Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA - The 2017 thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by MADPhil
BA has the reasonable rule that, although your carry on can weigh up to 50lb, you must be able to lift it into the rack unaided and the CC are not allowed to help.
Weird - i see them help all the time - more often than not
Old Apr 29, 2017, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by avon75
Sorry to generalise but I always seem to have issues with continental, well dressed 'sophisticated' women in their 40s and 50s. ....
Good one!

Was it PUCCI or yahilwe? Surely not, they're nicer than that!
Old Apr 29, 2017, 9:08 am

Unless of course you have booked special assistance in which case that is part of it. To give the CC credit they always offer to help but since I travel with Mr S I always decline and say that he will deal with it when we have sorted ourselves out.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
This has more to do about being able to push back on time rather than having to wait until the last hoarder has crammed all their belongings into the OHB.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
And I met Mr. DYKWIA earlier this week at LCY.

Mr. DYKWIA was German and probably in his late 20s/early 30s. He was calling his assistant/travel agent/whatever and loudly complained in German that the airport was sub-par and unworthy for loyal customers like him.

He continued ranting about how there wasn't any lounge and that he was forced to sit in the general lounge. I was happy when Mr. DYKWIA, a FTL with LH, left for his flight.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by WorldLux
This has more to do about being able to push back on time rather than having to wait until the last hoarder has crammed all their belongings into the OHB.
The ban is probably so that BA doesn't have to pay for back injuries, the CC are usually pragmatic about it and helpful. It would be better if BA had a reasonable weight limit, I wouldn't want to be on a flight where 50lb bags were flying around.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 2:28 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Originally Posted by Pilot37
My first post in this thread as I tend to remain calm on travel matters but I will admit to nearly having a DYKWIA moment onboard my flight today (or to be more correct, a WDYTYA - Who Do You Think You Are) moment!
Arrived towards the end of boarding and headed to 1A in the B744 nose, opened the cupboard to store my luggage and found it packed. Given 1K was occupied I assumed he had, selfishly, grabbed all the space for himself and so I reluctantly took over some space in 2K's overhead (I'm sure he was asking who I thought I was). Upon landing, as we all collected our bags, I waited for 1K to extract his possessions from the cupboard but to my surprise all he took was a tiny bag. At this stage all of the cabin was moving rearward as 2L was the door in operation and I started to wonder if the crew had been a bit naughty when the gentleman in 5E!! strode forward and emptied the cupboard of his belongs before striding back!
Definitely a man who, if challenged, would have played the DYKWIA card me thinks!

Pilot37

I had this last Sunday: I got to 1A to find the entire closet completely rammed w/ 5 bags. Not cool.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by WorldLux
He continued ranting about how there wasn't any lounge and that he was forced to sit in the general lounge. I was happy when Mr. DYKWIA, a FTL with LH, left for his flight.
LOL, the Lufthansa equivalent of the "BA Bronze syndrome". Except that the poor guy doesn't even get priority boarding for his important silver card.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 3:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Starbucks Gold,
...clearly not able to lift the suitcase into the overhead locker...

The woman just turned around and carried on walking 5 rows further down the plane (which was pretty empty)
2 of my pet peeves! If you can't lift it, don't take it - there are alternatives available like checking a bag in! And whilst it's not 'my' space above the seat, it's logical to put bags above your own seat where possible.

I've seen passengers told to move bags from CE lockers to further back when they have attempted a dump and run - only happens when the crew are on the ball but the look on their faces is priceless and unless challenged, people will not modify their behaviour (in exactly the same way that people without priority boarding will keep clogging up the line unless they are turned away when they reach the desk and it's seen that they are Bronze and only CE / Gold has been called!)
Old Apr 30, 2017, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by T8191

Was it PUCCI or yahilwe? Surely not, they're nicer than that!
And much younger!
Old May 1, 2017, 5:50 am

Programs: etihad guest silver/ba bronze
Gold george

In the PMI lounge yesterday and a guy had a serious DYKWIA syndrome. Barking orders at the lounge attendants and demanding table service. He then quite abruptly made the rather loud comment the lounge was full of priority pass customers with no status. I was so tempted to go over and tell him the George at asda sticker was still on the bottom of his £6 pair of deck shoes but thought bless him.
Old May 1, 2017, 6:20 am

DYKWIA In WTP+ having some trouble with their side bin on the A380 while still on the stand. He flagged down a CC who had her hands full, she told him not to worry it will open eventually and she will come back to assist shortly.

DYKWIA barks "I have flown this route 8 times this year, I've never had this problem." He was panicking because his passport and wallet had been put in the bin. After much fidgeting, poking and prodding the bin releases and he tells us all proudly "EHH??? HOW 'BOUT THAT? GOLD CARD, GOOD FOR SOMETHING!!!" It was akin to Charlie getting a golden ticket for the chocolate factory.

With almost perfect timing a member of the CC approached a gent just behind; "Sir, my colleague informed me you are a gold card holder. There is a seat available on the main deck of the aircraft, if you would like to grab your things and follow me to 14D."

Mr DYKWIA's face dropped as I think he realised at this point he wasn't the most important passenger on the plane. Not a peep for the rest of the flight
Old May 1, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by everGLAdes
DYKWIA In WTP+ having some trouble with their side bin on the A380 while still on the stand. He flagged down a CC who had her hands full, she told him not to worry it will open eventually and she will come back to assist shortly.

DYKWIA barks "I have flown this route 8 times this year, I've never had this problem." He was panicking because his passport and wallet had been put in the bin. After much fidgeting, poking and prodding the bin releases and he tells us all proudly "EHH??? HOW 'BOUT THAT? GOLD CARD, GOOD FOR SOMETHING!!!" It was akin to Charlie getting a golden ticket for the chocolate factory.

With almost perfect timing a member of the CC approached a gent just behind; "Sir, my colleague informed me you are a gold card holder. There is a seat available on the main deck of the aircraft, if you would like to grab your things and follow me to 14D."

Mr DYKWIA's face dropped as I think he realised at this point he wasn't the most important passenger on the plane. Not a peep for the rest of the flight
That is awesome! I wished I could of witnessed that 😂
Old May 1, 2017, 7:15 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
"That is awesome! I wished I could have witnessed that "

+ 1.
Old May 1, 2017, 7:17 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Padmeister
That is awesome! I wished I could of witnessed that
* have. Sorry, it's a pet peeve
Cotumely likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.