Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA - The 2017 thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2017, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Dean_West
We should make sure to be ahead of the flying Tescoers who have 'clubcard accepted' playing in their minds 24/7. They present Clubcards instead of boarding passes - it's muscle memory. They buy something at the BoB and stare at the crew blankly until they realise they won't hear "all of your Tesco points add up." I was on a flight with one of them earlier this summer. Overhead space was at a premium as always and upon finding there was no room for her bag she stood there, stone faced, loudly proclaiming "unexpected item in the bagging area" 50 times. ....
^
Old Sep 8, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by WickedStepMother
There is nothing wrong with boosting the BA-earned Avios balance by converting Tesco Clubcard points! I know there has been a thread somewhere that has sent BA FlyerTalkers rushing off to Tesco to buy printer cartridges when there are extra Clubcard points on offer!
Having never used Tesco Points, or BA AMEX for that matter, I'm actually getting very tempted to do so now...
Old Sep 8, 2017, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by arnie.
Having never used Tesco Points, or BA AMEX for that matter, I'm actually getting very tempted to do so now...
Careful use of the Amex can be VERY beneficial, when used for 'normal' spend and when booking things on BA [flight/car/hotel].

We've not gone for what is called 'manufactured spend' as we seem to squander enough money without going there
argonath likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by filthy monkey
what about the gold and ggl folks who pay for their own tickets? Are they more entitled then...? :d
👍😊
Old Sep 8, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Dean_West
In short, yes, Monkey. I like spotting who is paying for their tickets (whether it be by loyalty to BA or in cash) and who is a Tesco flyer. Everyone is more entitled that the flying netmums posse.

We should make sure to be ahead of the flying Tescoers who have 'clubcard accepted' playing in their minds 24/7. They present Clubcards instead of boarding passes - it's muscle memory. They buy something at the BoB and stare at the crew blankly until they realise they won't hear "all of your Tesco points add up." I was on a flight with one of them earlier this summer. Overhead space was at a premium as always and upon finding there was no room for her bag she stood there, stone faced, loudly proclaiming "unexpected item in the bagging area" 50 times. It took my good will to have my bag checked into the hold to prevent a full-blown nervous breakdown. Forget 'To Fly. To Serve' it's 'To shop. To fly' with this lot.

Why can't Tesco have Tesco Airways for them? They can use some of their accounting tricks and offer more than EK at Ryanair prices whilst esstill making a huge profit.

Perfectly put. Personally I think I should be carried to the plane on a velvet cushion. The delightful Special Services team in Miami comes closest...
Old Sep 9, 2017, 2:15 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Is "Gold Gate Lice" what ggl stands for then?

I wondered where the term gate lice came from. It's the ggl!! ������
Old Sep 11, 2017, 3:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I suspect this was more tongue in cheek than genuine DYKWIA, but overheard at Terminal 5 baggage belts last night...

"ooh, look, here comes my bag: got the Bronze tag on it to show off a little"

HEH
Old Sep 11, 2017, 4:04 am

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
Queuing to board the delayed 834 to DUB in the reasonably clearly signed priority lane when several older gentleman just walk past and position themselves closer to the head of the queue. Perhaps the most egregious was the chap in the tailored suit who's now sat opposite me in 1C. I guess t shirt and jeans means I must have been in the wrong queue.

And no, I didn't say anything. It only annoyed me enough to post here, not actually do anything .
janehoya and Calchas like this.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 4:58 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by ratypus
I suspect this was more tongue in cheek than genuine DYKWIA, but overheard at Terminal 5 baggage belts last night...

"ooh, look, here comes my bag: got the Bronze tag on it to show off a little"

HEH
Don't be mean. Our 18 year old daughter was thrilled to bits when she got her Bronze kit ...
Old Sep 11, 2017, 5:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
like I said, I suspect it was said very much tongue in cheek - made me smile, not mean!
Old Sep 11, 2017, 5:32 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois
Originally Posted by Deckard
Queuing to board the delayed 834 to DUB in the reasonably clearly signed priority lane when several older gentleman just walk past and position themselves closer to the head of the queue. Perhaps the most egregious was the chap in the tailored suit who's now sat opposite me in 1C. I guess t shirt and jeans means I must have been in the wrong queue.

And no, I didn't say anything. It only annoyed me enough to post here, not actually do anything .
Nothing like a spot of Home Counties passive aggressiveness to start the week !
Old Sep 15, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
OMG...how many weeks is this thread going to be highlighted on the home page? Same with 1hr flight canned soda. As well as Passport found parking lot......change it up PLEASE!!!

Edit: Thread is fine...the Joan Collins tag line is a dead horse
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:18 am

Not sure if a full DYKWIA or an amazing coincidence but...

Crawling past LHR today I saw a lovely BMW shoot off down the T5 spur road, with the number plate of "GGL 1"

Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:13 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by Chillax2511

Crawling past LHR today I saw a lovely BMW shoot off down the T5 spur road, with the number plate of "GGL 1"

Wasnt me 😜😊
Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Chillax2511

Bound to be one of the CCR crew on here!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.