Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA - The 2017 thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2017, 4:38 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
A large number of off-topic posts relating to the mechanics of applying for US Global Entry, rather than its effect on DYKWIA behaviour, have been removed. FT hosts a number of other threads relating to obtaining GE - please feel free to contribute or raise questions in those.

/mod
Old Dec 8, 2017, 5:02 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
On a flight yesterday to MUC I inadvertently sit in 4A instead of 3A. I blame that on too many negronis and Chianti at our local Italian the night before. Elderly gentleman with wool cap seems agitated getting on the plane and immediately glares at me and asks me if I am certain that I'm in the correct seat. I look up and indeed I'm one row off.

Me: "Sorry, it's an early morning"
Him: "Well, it's OK. I'm a frequent flyer, you see. That's how I know the row numbers."
Me: "Oh. I usually just look at the handy numbers they put here."

I knew what he really meant...
aks120, LTN Phobia, T8191 and 6 others like this.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 5:24 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
On a recent LHR-ZRH, there was a fairly substantial queue forming for the lane clearly marked Priority Boarding. I'd estimate there must have been around 30 people.

As I was in row 1 and I wanted to make sure I had enough space for hand luggage (row 1 being the worst place for hand luggage due to safety equipment and often crew bags), I joined this already fairly substantial queue. There were further people joining the queue behind me, so I estimate the priority boarding queue must have had about 50+.

It was pretty long but being a ZRH flight, I expected a big-ish CE and a fair few card holders etc.

Shortly before priority boarding was called, a guy tried to barge into the queue in front of me saying "Excuse me" to me. I give him credit for at least saying "Excuse me", rather than just barging in.

Anyway, I politely said to him that there was a queue, to which he responded, "But I'm fast track". I just responded with "I believe this IS the priority boarding queue". He grunted at me and walked away (not sure if he barged in a bit behind me in the queue or joined the back of the queue).

Anyway, as it turns out there were at least 10 rows of CE (I didn't count them properly but it was definitely 10+), and with other status holders I wasn't surprised the priority boarding queue stretched a very long way.

They boarded CE, Gold, Silver and Bronze at once. Boarding groups would be a good thing indeed, but do people really have to assume that the long queue in front of you is NOT a priority boarding queue just because it is rather long*, and feel it's right to barge in front of you unless you have the basis of your privileges on display?

Anyway, the real culprit here was me. I was slighted tempted at this guy's attempt at barging and incorrect assumption to have a "status-off" with "Sir, you are most welcome to join the queue in front of me but only if you are a Premier as that would trump my status!" I didn't, but I still have this tiny bit of thought in the corner of my mind that I should perhaps have... and that renders me a right DYKWIA IMO.

*No idea if everyone in the queue was entitled to priority boarding as there was no enforcement.
I too am a DYKWIA when faced with ridiculously long priority queues full of mere Bronzes and Silvers. I usually make sure I have my French ID card on prominent display so that they can all assume that I am a rude Frenchman when I push in at the head of the queue!
Old Dec 8, 2017, 5:56 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Not sure if this counts as a DYKWIA, but perhaps close enough. Couple of weeks ago on an LHR-ATL, upon boarding I was witness to an elderly passenger berating a member of cabin crew, a constant stream along the lines of:

"Young man, I will not accept this seat..."
"I always fly club, why are you making me fly coach..."
"I demand you seat me up front in club..."

The incredibly patient FA was desperately trying to explain to the passenger, but they simply refused to listen. The kicker was that the passenger was in CW (10K, 787-9), and if they had stopped talking and started listening they would have realised the FA was explaining that the aircraft had the CW cabin split into 2 parts. I can only assume that because she had turned right and not left on boarding, she somehow assumed she was in economy?

In the end, the FA gave up trying and re-seated her, and she gave up a window seat with 3 empty seats around her for a middle seat in the (otherwise fully occupied) front cabin.
Jed, shefgab, T8191 and 4 others like this.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by LondonElite
On a flight yesterday to MUC I inadvertently sit in 4A instead of 3A. I blame that on too many negronis and Chianti at our local Italian the night before. Elderly gentleman with wool cap seems agitated getting on the plane and immediately glares at me and asks me if I am certain that I'm in the correct seat. I look up and indeed I'm one row off.

Me: "Sorry, it's an early morning"
Him: "Well, it's OK. I'm a frequent flyer, you see. That's how I know the row numbers."
Me: "Oh. I usually just look at the handy numbers they put here."

I knew what he really meant...
it was probably that Chris1939 chap.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
This DYKWIA didn't do anything spectacular. They never uttered a word, pushed in, threw a strop because they weren't at the front of the priority queue or anything like that. But they do deserve a special mention for having TWO BA Gold and a rather tatty looking disposable VS Upper Class tag on one small bag.
frasier likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Originally Posted by jwhite9185
This DYKWIA didn't do anything spectacular. They never uttered a word, pushed in, threw a strop because they weren't at the front of the priority queue or anything like that. But they do deserve a special mention for having TWO BA Gold and a rather tatty looking disposable VS Upper Class tag on one small bag.
Two BA gold cards on one bag ? Maybe more the merrier ...
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:19 pm

Programs: BAEC
In the immigration queue at LHR today....it was a very short queue, literally 3 people queuing for each scanner and a couple confused ladies in front of me talking to a hal agent or maybe dithering, I wasn’t really paying attention, either way I’d noticed nobody was going through the scanners and another hal agent assisting was asking people to retry etc. I was going to give it another few seconds before relocating to the desks where there was minimal queue.

About 15 seconds passes and cue angry lady behind me, “excuse me, can you join the queues? I want to get out of here!” - I ignored firstly then she repeated so I turned around and not really sure what to say I just kinda pointed at the people (one on each yellow pair of feet) and said “ummmmm”.

Anyhow to appease i squeezed past past the dithering ladies in front and angry lady rushed to a far left scanner.

It then became apparent the scanners were broken and the HAL agent directed me to the normal desks where there was no queue.

I can only assume angry lady is still chirping in line somewhere.

But I can kinda forgive as likely she was on a delayed or cancelled flight.

I need to learn how to deal with confrontational people, last time it happened was a queue self-policer who was repeatedly checking everyone in the CE checkin queue was in business. I ignored them because I was extremely tired and unable to explain status. Fortunately other pax stepped in.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Beansprout
In the immigration queue at LHR today....it was a very short queue, literally 3 people queuing for each scanner and a couple confused ladies in front of me talking to a hal agent or maybe dithering, I wasn’t really paying attention, either way I’d noticed nobody was going through the scanners and another hal agent assisting was asking people to retry etc. I was going to give it another few seconds before relocating to the desks where there was minimal queue.

About 15 seconds passes and cue angry lady behind me, “excuse me, can you join the queues? I want to get out of here!” - I ignored firstly then she repeated so I turned around and not really sure what to say I just kinda pointed at the people (one on each yellow pair of feet) and said “ummmmm”.

Anyhow to appease i squeezed past past the dithering ladies in front and angry lady rushed to a far left scanner.

It then became apparent the scanners were broken and the HAL agent directed me to the normal desks where there was no queue.

I can only assume angry lady is still chirping in line somewhere.

But I can kinda forgive as likely she was on a delayed or cancelled flight.

I need to learn how to deal with confrontational people, last time it happened was a queue self-policer who was repeatedly checking everyone in the CE checkin queue was in business. I ignored them because I was extremely tired and unable to explain status. Fortunately other pax stepped in.
Sometimes, pretending you are deaf/mute is the best course of action. I do agree though, people can get really frustrated very easily at airports!

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Dec 13, 2017 at 8:55 am Reason: sorry for my 'dailymail' spelling error - deaf not death!
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:37 am

In WH Smith yesterday morning, before an early flight, when an older gentleman (50s?) walks up to the empty counter.

The sole member of staff asks him if he could please use one of the self-service checkouts

"NO. I WANT TO BE SERVED HERE. I DON'T WANT TO USE A MACHINE"
"It's OK sir, I'll show you how to use it"
"IT'S A POINT OF PRINCIPLE, I WONT USE A MACHINE. I DEMAND TO BE SERVED HERE."
The member of staff takes his items and starts scanning them on the self checkout for him
"DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH BONUS YOUR BOSS MAKES BECAUSE HE DOESN'T EMPLOY ENOUGH PEOPLE??"

Felt quite sorry for the poor employee.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Sometimes, pretending you are death/mute is the best course of action
I have, in the past, pretended to be death to diffuse a tense situation. Things died down very quickly.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Things would die down if you were dead.
Stez, RoyalSwazi, Calchas and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Sometimes, pretending you are death…
“Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.”
Calchas likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by markle
In WH Smith yesterday morning, before an early flight, when an older gentleman (50s?) walks up to the empty counter.

The sole member of staff asks him if he could please use one of the self-service checkouts

"NO. I WANT TO BE SERVED HERE. I DON'T WANT TO USE A MACHINE"
"It's OK sir, I'll show you how to use it"
"IT'S A POINT OF PRINCIPLE, I WONT USE A MACHINE. I DEMAND TO BE SERVED HERE."
The member of staff takes his items and starts scanning them on the self checkout for him
"DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH BONUS YOUR BOSS MAKES BECAUSE HE DOESN'T EMPLOY ENOUGH PEOPLE??"

Felt quite sorry for the poor employee.
I basically agree with him. Those who direct you to the self-service machines are the next ones whose jobs will go.

Coming to an airport near you...
MichaelBaku likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by armouredant
I have, in the past, pretended to be death to diffuse a tense situation. Things died down very quickly.
There was a Welsh chap I knew who did that Dia was his name. Dia The death...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.