Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by T8191
    Cheaper doing it on s/h routes, of course! And if pre-planned, return tix could be bought in advance. I'm sure those with working knowledge of routes and schedules could target flights very effectively, leaving BA ac and crews (and pax, of course) stranded all over Yerp. Not that I would necessarily approve of such action, of course... this is a theoretical discussion
    and academic and and irrelevant as the unions disagree with you on this matter.
    Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: BA, TK, EK
    If VS could find a marketing upside, I'm sure they'd fly a few MF crew home FOC on their routes.

They could spin it as crew wanting to exercise their right to strike, then BA throwing them out of a hotel and stranding them in a foreign land...
    Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
    Originally Posted by jonas123
    Last minute tickets are not cheap, plus add to the fact one-way longhaul fares pretty much do not exist
    So if CC fly to Rio (as an example) go on strike and get flown back to UK by UNITE, what happens when the strike ends a couple of days later? I assume UNITE will have to fly them back Rio again?
    Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:46 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
    Originally Posted by Waterhorse
    and academic and and irrelevant as the unions disagree with you on this matter.
    Indeed. I apologise for introducing a bit of levity to the debate. And anyway,, it was makin'miles eo started it, back at #1770

Although, as the impact seems to be minimal, there's not a lot to debate anyway. Until the next round of strikes, or some serious developments at ACAS.
    Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
    Originally Posted by T8191
    What happens to the aircraft and the remaining crew? Well, they'll still be accommodated, and being down-route will still be being paid @ £3/hour
    Or alternatively (and I assume this is still legal) BA could lock them out? No pay, no hotel, just abandoned in a foreign country.
    Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:50 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
    Originally Posted by Agent69
    Or alternatively (and I assume this is still legal) BA could lock them out? No pay, no hotel, just abandoned in a foreign country.
    If those crew aren't on strike, that would raise an interesting legal point.

Anyway, as Waterhorse implies, we are digressing.
    Old Jan 20, 2017, 9:09 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
    Originally Posted by Worcester
    There must be a significant number of people like me who stopping booking with an airline when there is the possibility of strikes.
    Precisely.
    Old Jan 20, 2017, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Worcester
    There must be a significant number of people like me who stopping booking with an airline when there is the possibility of strikes.
    People would also need to avoid booking with Lufthansa, Air France and Alitalia. All of whom have had, and may continue to have, strikes that have caused far more disruption than these strikes.
    Old Jan 20, 2017, 9:53 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
    Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
    People would also need to avoid booking with Lufthansa, Air France and Alitalia.
    All of that did happen at the time and those airlines have given relatively clear estimates of strikes costs in terms of lost bookings.
    Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
    Costs in long haul destinations

I met a BA MF CC member in Tesco's yesterday. She said that it was possible to gross approx UKP20k if one worked every possible hour. The problem, she said, was that in some of the long haul destinations that MF fly to, they are encouraged to stay in the hotel because of safety fears. UKP3 per hour for food, drinks and etc. will not go far in a decent hotel, and they have to pay for that themselves. Lagos and Cairo come to mind.
    So even if they do get around 20k gross, they have to spend it to live decently.

Not a problem that Legacy Crew faced when they used to enjoy themselves in the New World Harbour View.
    Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
    All of that did happen at the time and those airlines have given relatively clear estimates of strikes costs in terms of lost bookings.
    It's a bit of a merry-go-round really. I believe the airlines all have agreements with each other to carry each others passengers for the same fare that was paid if there is space available. BA would have benefited when Lufthansa were on strike, and no doubt Lufthansa are benefiting now.
    Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: BA Gold
    Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
    So even if they do get around 20k gross, they have to spend it to live decently.
    I, too, have to spend my salary to live decently. Perhaps I should go on strike.
    Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by rocketship87
    I, too, have to spend my salary to live decently. Perhaps I should go on strike.
    Does your employer expect you to spend your "salary" on expenses that are incurred in the course of business? If so and you earn the same as MF crew then perhaps you should.
    Old Jan 20, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: BAEC - Lowly blue
    Originally Posted by layz
    Any chance of posting a copy of this letter?
    Here you go

Old Jan 20, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: BAEC - Lowly blue
    Originally Posted by Lewis King
    Here you go

I'll add that the catering was exactly the same as before BoB, same cups, same lemon melts/snacks! Full booze too, even on a 7am flight, nothing was opened by the crew though so a few took advantage and stocked up for personal consumption later

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.