Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2017, 1:54 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
    Management? Engage? But the employees are peasants and should be grateful for a job.
    Old Jan 28, 2017, 1:59 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
    Originally Posted by Calchas
    Olfaciens rati perhaps, although it doesn't strike me as a Roman turn of phrase--perhaps olfaciens muris, but I think the smelling of a rat being suspicious is an English invention from the plague days.

(Yes on the BA forum even your Latin is not safe from the grammar police!)
    Picky
    Old Jan 28, 2017, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by Agent69
    I guess it's a case of I'll show you mine if you show me yours! Why would BA unilaterally publish data for UNITE to rubbish if Unite aren't prepared to do the same.
    According to the proponents for this, UNITE can't be in the know as BA have the data. BA can publish it if they want. The fact that UNITE have not taken them up on their 'offer' is neither here nor there. If BA are so confident of their figures then you will have to explain how this will be rubbished by UNITE.
    Old Jan 28, 2017, 3:04 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
    Originally Posted by Calchas
    Olfaciens rati perhaps, although it doesn't strike me as a Roman turn of phrase--perhaps olfaciens muris, but I think the smelling of a rat being suspicious is an English invention from the plague days.

(Yes on the BA forum even your Latin is not safe from the grammar police!)
    Ego reprehendo Google Translate
    Old Jan 28, 2017, 3:41 am

Programs: BA Silver
    Originally Posted by strichener
    According to the proponents for this, UNITE can't be in the know as BA have the data. BA can publish it if they want. The fact that UNITE have not taken them up on their 'offer' is neither here nor there. If BA are so confident of their figures then you will have to explain how this will be rubbished by UNITE.
    I'd suggest it would be not good for BA for them to publish their staff's salaries. Such information should not really be shared publicly by an employer.

As others have said, I'm surprised no staff have put out redacted payslips/P60s showing the pittance they earn. Such items would get shared on social media and could strengthen the sympathy amongst passengers. At present, other than a little bit of news when strikes are announced and start, I'm not sure the general public have much awareness of the issue.
    Old Jan 28, 2017, 4:37 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
    The union sent an open letter to various managers involved in this dispute on the evening of the 25th. . We were told as union members that the idea behind it was to try and get BA to come back to the table and to at least try and negotiate. By yesterday afternoon, they hadn't responded, and so more dates were announced. Anyway, not sure whether anybody would find this interesting but rather than me blather on and not eloquently explain this issue further or possibly miss any pertinent points, it seems easier in my jet lagged state just to share the open letter with you all.

An Open Letter from your Mixed Fleet Unite reps to:
    Karen Slinger, Head of Inflight Customer Experience; Ian Romanis, Manager Mixed Fleet and iCSP; Melanie Birch, Head of Employee Relations;
    Troy Warfield, Director of Customer Experience and
    Alex Cruz, Chairman and CEO British Airways

25th January, 2017

Dear management team,

In your recent email sent out at the end of last week, we were advised that you want to give our valued members a pay rise and resume the focus on growing British Airways Mixed Fleet. Both of these objectives are actually also at the heart of what Mixed Fleet Unite is trying to achieve.

Our goals remain as follows:

● A fair pay rise for all Mixed Fleet colleagues, one that allows them to achieve a genuine living wage and is a true reflection of the work that we put into making Mixed Fleet and British Airways a success. A reward package that allows our members to live and commute into one of the most expensive areas to live and work in the country. British Airways’ achieved and projected profits for this financial year tell both us as a branch, as well as our members, that British Airways is able to achieve this whilst remaining competitive.

● A fit for purpose pay bargaining group for our Customer Service Managers

● Parity with the pilots in terms of the Elapsed Hourly Rate.

Industrial action is not an easy step for anyone to take and it should be recognised that our members feel they have had no alternative. We have worked hard to avoid this, attempting to negotiate with yourselves for months before reaching this point. We disagree that paying what we are asking for would make British Airways and Mixed Fleet uncompetitive. We think that actually investing in your front-line crew will allow a sustainable model moving forward. This will in fact allow you to become the most admired airline across the world’s key cities.

Your reluctance to offer a reasonable pay deal to our members, yet spend what we believe is now reaching millions of pounds in trying to quash strike action, suggests money is available and this is a question of ideology. We URGE you to recognise that there is a chance here for British Airways to take a different route. Try something new and recognise and reward your unique selling point, the face of the airline, your cabin crew. Key players in the business industry recognise that a happy, appreciated and well rewarded workforce is the most powerful tool to making your business a success and we call upon you to try this out for yourselves.

Mixed Fleet’s pay, terms and conditions fall far short of competitors, both in the UK and in the flag carrying, premium airline category. The Manchester-based, Thomson Airways crew operating the Boeing 737 you chartered in last week to cover our industrial action for example, are on a considerably more competitive package than their Mixed Fleet counterparts. With a starting basic salary of £13,989, and an elapsed hourly rate of £3.69 plus a 12% commission rate, that Thomson Airways crew would also have earned day off and working up and minimum crew payments. As a charter airline, Thomson Airways operate on razor sharp profit margins and yet they are able to pay their cabin crews not only a truly competitive wage but fair terms and conditions. They are able to live in parts of the country where the average rent or mortgage is a fraction of the cost of London.

Throughout your communications to members and non-members alike, you have continued to claim that the union have rejected offering the corporate deal to our members. It has to be stressed that we initially offered the corporate pay deal to all MFU members back in Spring 2016. This was rejected by 93% of our membership. If the membership asked for this deal to be offered again, we as a democratic, member led branch would approach you to discuss this. So far, our members continue to stand by their decision that they will not be happy with neither the corporate deal, nor a lack of bargaining rights for CSMs. The mandate from our members for continued industrial action remains as does their resolve and we will be required to provide the seven day’s notice of future strikes until such time as this dispute is settled.

84% of our members have at some point suffered from stress and depression as a result of their financial circumstances since joining British Airways. Nearly half of our members have had to take on a second job to pay their rent and have any level of comfortable living. We ask that you look to reinstate the bonus to our members who have taken strike action. We also call on you to reinstate the staff travel benefit, one that is referred to as ‘the only true, remaining benefit of the job’ to allow a fair work life balance.

The airline has continued to tell members and non-members alike that you are open to reasonable talks with us, so we would like to reiterate our position that we have always been open to come back to the table. We urge you to avoid any further dispute and do the right thing for your cabin crew and our customers by engaging with Mixed Fleet Unite to negotiate a genuinely meaningful way forward. We would suggest that we get back around the table, with the starting point being the encouraging start that we made at ACAS before Christmas.

Kind regards,

Mixed Fleet Unite

Old Jan 28, 2017, 4:44 am

Is Heathrow to Split affected by this, (when route starts)?
    Old Jan 28, 2017, 5:03 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
    You have mail Lite.
    Old Jan 28, 2017, 5:14 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
    Originally Posted by Can I help you
    You have mail Lite.
    I've just checked my inbox now. You really should know that I can't work social media or tablets!
    Old Jan 28, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
    Lite Appreciate the look at Unite's letter. I have sympathy for the members. However this line caught my eye ".....
    84% of our members have at some point suffered from stress and depression as a result of their financial circumstances since joining British Airways. Nearly half of our members have had to take on a second job to pay their rent and have any level of comfortable living......"

I wonder hw many hundreds of thousands in the UK and more Western countries have similar problems. Perhaps it is a vicious circle, raise wages to a "comfortable living wage" will raise prices and there will be yet another similar gap.
    Old Jan 28, 2017, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by T8191
    As I implied earlier, this rather diminishes the case for supporting MF crew.

My support for MF is waning slightly, if this is factual. Do I smell Union activists? Olfaciens rat!.
    Given that they have picketers claim they make 12k (something we all know isn't true), I would take into consideration that a union has no obligation to the truth, only to its membership.

The truth is nearly universally somewhere between what the union claims and what the employer claims. Both sides take exaggerated positions to get the public on their side but also to make the compromise solution in the end look more 'generous' on their part.
    Old Jan 29, 2017, 5:44 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
    I'm flying KUL-LHR on 8th Feb (basically 7th as the flight departs KUL at 0005).
    Will my flight be affected? Would BA allow me to change to a date that I don't have to sitting on edge wondering if there will be chaos before flight and upon arrival at LHR?
    Old Jan 29, 2017, 6:28 am
    Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
    Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
    I'm flying KUL-LHR on 8th Feb (basically 7th as the flight departs KUL at 0005).
    Will my flight be affected? Would BA allow me to change to a date that I don't have to sitting on edge wondering if there will be chaos before flight and upon arrival at LHR?
    I don't remember any long haul cancellations on the last strikes. It seems BA are targeting any cancellations on short haul and domestic MF routes and maintaining long haul as planned. I wouldn't be concerned if I were in your shoes. Also I don't think there have been reports of any chaos at LHR for arrivals during the previous strikes.

Last edited by KARFA; Jan 29, 2017 at 6:53 am
    Old Jan 29, 2017, 6:47 am
    Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
    Originally Posted by KARFA
    ... It seems BA are targeting any cancellations on short haul and domestic MF routes and marinating long haul as planned...
    What a tasty development!
    Old Jan 29, 2017, 6:52 am
    Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
    Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
    What a tasty development!
    Whoops

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.