Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: BAEC
    Originally Posted by Jumbodriver
    I haven't heard of many (if any) flights going with minimum crew in this second batch. Which is why there has been no reduction in F service this time. There were literally hundreds of unused crew in the last period of action so BA could be more confident of covering everything.

Yesterday they were sending mixed fleet cabin crew home early as they didn't have enough standby phones for the sheer volume of spare crew.

No EF or WW crew have covered MF flights and I'm not aware of any Gatwick crew used on these last dates either.

'All the charters' today consisted of 2 airframes operating 2 round trips each.
    LGW crew were indeed used to cover a small number of LH rotations in the second round of strikes. Flights have also gone (quite a few in number) below the normal crew levels. Initially they seemed to be protecting standbys to use later should more crew decide to strike.

This is is in addition to coverage by 3 Titan Airways aircraft and one from Thomson Airways.

Word on on the street is that further dates starting 1/2 Feb will be announced early this coming week, potentially for 5 days!

Regards
    D1L
    Old Jan 21, 2017, 3:06 pm

I haven't heard of many (if any) flights going with minimum crew in this second batch. Which is why there has been no reduction in F service this time. There were literally hundreds of unused crew in the last period of action so BA could be more confident of covering everything.

Yesterday they were sending mixed fleet cabin crew home early as they didn't have enough standby phones for the sheer volume of spare crew.

No EF or WW crew have covered MF flights and I'm not aware of any Gatwick crew used on these last dates either.

Guess my EuroFleet friends flying to Helsinki, Belfast and Gothenburg must have just got lost then.
    Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
    Originally Posted by rapidex
    The crew were sent down route at BA's behest,so BA has a duty of care.
    The crew agreed to fly down route as part of their conditions of contract. If they go walk about half way through the trip I don't see how BA can be responsible for the repercussions.

Going on strike down route may have increased impact, but it can only be arranged on an ad-hoc basis. I don't know when the rosters are published, but when would UNITE know who is flying which route and whether they will be going on strike or not? I assume BA know who the strikers are and would spread them out between the various routes to minimize disruption.
    Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
    Minimum crew you say, well there's a surprise I thought BA had plenty of crew?
    I think the surplus crew are in LHR, whereas they appear to have been a bit thin on the ground in SEA.

Plane flew back from SEA with minimum crew. Pyrrhic victory?
    Old Jan 22, 2017, 6:21 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Arienne du Rseau Courte Dure de British Airways

Eurofleet crew have been called from available and standby to operate to some M/F destinations.
    Old Jan 22, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: BAEC
    Originally Posted by Littlegirl
    Eurofleet crew have been called from available and standby to operate to some M/F destinations.
    Whilst I have sympathy for MF, I think BA should be rightly commended for minimising the disruption to passengers over these strikes. It looks like a combination of EF, Gatwick, charters and non-striking MF crew have made this industrial action pretty much invisible to BA's customers.
    Old Jan 22, 2017, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by TabTraveller
    Whilst I have sympathy for MF, I think BA should be rightly commended for minimising the disruption to passengers over these strikes. It looks like a combination of EF, Gatwick, charters and non-striking MF crew have made this industrial action pretty much invisible to BA's customers.
    I have to say - I have been impressed with the way BA management have handled this in terms of minimising the opportunities for press engagement. It's smart.

To be clear - I'm not taking away from Mixed Fleet's situation here which I have full sympathy with, but from a purely management perspective - it's been impressive how BA have covered it up.

The thing I'm failing to understand is: BA appear exceptionally capable at covering a 10-20% loss in service (or at least making it seem so). Yet they appear completely incapable of (for example) - putting out new boarding procedures, rolling out Buy on Board competently, rollout out a new computer system.

How is it an operation that can change with (effectively) 7 days notice like that fail to do organisational changes?

And for Mixed Fleet - please keep it up - you're not being compensated appropriately for the jobs you do.
    Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Agent69
    The crew agreed to fly down route as part of their conditions of contract. If they go walk about half way through the trip I don't see how BA can be responsible for the repercussions.

Going on strike down route may have increased impact, but it can only be arranged on an ad-hoc basis. I don't know when the rosters are published, but when would UNITE know who is flying which route and whether they will be going on strike or not? I assume BA know who the strikers are and would spread them out between the various routes to minimize disruption.
    I was referring to them being thrown out of the hotel by BA,not going walkabout.Please dont misquote me.
    Old Jan 22, 2017, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by MPH1980
    I have to say - I have been impressed with the way BA management have handled this in terms of minimising the opportunities for press engagement. It's smart.

To be clear - I'm not taking away from Mixed Fleet's situation here which I have full sympathy with, but from a purely management perspective - it's been impressive how BA have covered it up.

The thing I'm failing to understand is: BA appear exceptionally capable at covering a 10-20% loss in service (or at least making it seem so). Yet they appear completely incapable of (for example) - putting out new boarding procedures, rolling out Buy on Board competently, rollout out a new computer system.

How is it an operation that can change with (effectively) 7 days notice like that fail to do organisational changes?

And for Mixed Fleet - please keep it up - you're not being compensated appropriately for the jobs you do.
    The biggest win for BA here is they now know they can operate flights with fewer crew members (even most cost saving! )

I think BA operationally are very experienced - when a solution has to be found, they're normally quite good at doing it. However when a decision needs to be made over a non-operational matter, the layers of middle-management tend to disrupt that flow
    Old Jan 22, 2017, 10:35 am

If you strike down route and absent yourself from work I'm not convinced your employer retains that same duty of care. Which takes me back to my original assertion that this is a pointless discussion, the unions do not ask their members to strike down route.It avoids all these questions being asked and potentially answered in a very unfavourable fashion.
    Old Jan 22, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
    All this crap that non union members, or other members of cabin crew have to go to work, is just that... crap:

Industrial action by non-union members
    Non-union members who take part in legal, official industrial action have the same rights as union members not to be dismissed as a result of taking action.
    Literally, even if you are not in the union, you are fully protected if you decide NOT to scab the strike, as per the UK law website:

https://www.gov.uk/industrial-action...ustrial-action

They probably don't want this to be widely publicised. But it is there, in black and white !!

COME ON , ALL CABIN CREW, DONT GO TO WORK! STAND UP FOR WHAT YOU KNOW IS RIGHT !!!!
    Old Jan 22, 2017, 12:21 pm
    Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
    Folks, please be mindful that there may well be many members of MF crew who will be reading this thread, and find themselves in an invidious position in respect of continuing to work whilst their colleagues are on strike. That is their personal choice, which they may be making for any number of perfectly sound and valid reasons, and it is not appropriate for any of us to demean them for it.

Out of deference and respect for them, it would appreciated if the use of what would be regarded as rather emotive or even offensive terms which have certain connotations in the UK be avoided. The term 'scab', in relation to UK workers, would be a good example.

Thanks for your co-operation.

NWIFlyer
    Moderator - BA forum
    Old Jan 22, 2017, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by rapidex
    I was referring to them being thrown out of the hotel by BA,not going walkabout.Please dont misquote me.
    But they only get thrown out if they go walkabout (as in don't report for duty).

Nothing wrong with the quote.
    Old Jan 22, 2017, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by Agent69
    But they only get thrown out if they go walkabout (as in don't report for duty).

Nothing wrong with the quote.
    Going walkabout implies leaving the hotel and being unavailable.Entirely different to remaining in the hotel on a legal strike.

Once again please dont misquote me or put words in my mouth.
    Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:10 pm

I know this is off-topic, and could possibly be moved to an appropriate thread, but can you explain what you mean by a standby phone? Is it literally a phone handed to each crew member on standby? How does the standby process work?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.