Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
    So if I have a CE ticket and am downgraded to a single cabin Thomson aircraft, is that EU261 for involuntary downgrade? I believe exceptional circumstances only applies to cancellations and delays, is that correct?
    Old Jan 20, 2017, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Agent69
    So if CC fly to Rio (as an example) go on strike and get flown back to UK by UNITE, what happens when the strike ends a couple of days later? I assume UNITE will have to fly them back Rio again?
    I doubt it.

BA, I'm guessing, would have taken the commercial decision to fly the aircraft back without passengers. So there would be no reason for the crew to be there at all and, regardless, they would have been on legal strike. It'd be BA's problem.

For those who say this is academic and Unite disagrees, great. But Unite's strategy doesn't seem to be working, so maybe it's time to think about this a bit more strategically.

Another option might be for Unite to announce that they will be striking, but then remove only a handful of crew from duty and provide them full pay for the day from the strike fund. Other members of MF could show up to work and get full pay, and BA would have incurred all sorts of costs (Titan charters, additional crew brought in, lost customer confidence), but would they still be obliged to pay those who show up?

Point of this is that Unite need to make this all a lot more unpredictable (and thus costly) if they are going to bring BA to the table with a decent offer. Time to get creative.
    Old Jan 20, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
    Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
    I met a BA MF CC member in Tesco's yesterday. She said that it was possible to gross approx UKP20k if one worked every possible hour. The problem, she said, was that in some of the long haul destinations that MF fly to, they are encouraged to stay in the hotel because of safety fears. UKP3 per hour for food, drinks and etc. will not go far in a decent hotel, and they have to pay for that themselves. Lagos and Cairo come to mind.
    So even if they do get around 20k gross, they have to spend it to live decently.

Not a problem that Legacy Crew faced when they used to enjoy themselves in the New World Harbour View.
    I've worked in many exotic locations (Cairo and Hong Kong to name 3), and I find it difficult to believe that £72 a day wouldn't get you 3 square meals a day, even in a BA hotel (unless the accommodation had been enhanced to 5*).

Also note that the expenses should cover the difference in cost between eating at home and eating away from home, not the entire bill.
    Old Jan 20, 2017, 11:53 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
    This strike is a slow burning and is causing BA a lot expense and damage, stay strong.
    Old Jan 20, 2017, 11:58 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
    Also note that the expenses should cover the difference in cost between eating at home and eating away from home, not the entire bill.
    A fair point. When we started doing serious l/h holidays, I used to factor in the cost savings we were making by not being at home (F&B, Utility costs).
    Old Jan 20, 2017, 11:59 am

I've worked in many exotic locations (Cairo and Hong Kong to name 3), and I find it difficult to believe that £72 a day wouldn't get you 3 square meals a day, even in a BA hotel (unless the accommodation had been enhanced to 5*).

If the GBP3/hour is to be considered fully for expenses, that means that MF CC make as little as GBP12K per year, plus (perhaps) small bonuses. A big chunk of this is supposed to be salary, by BAs own calculations (as well as the tax department), so I find your characterization that CC get GBP72/day for expenses disingenuous.
    Old Jan 20, 2017, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by makin'miles
    I doubt it.

BA, I'm guessing, would have taken the commercial decision to fly the aircraft back without passengers. So there would be no reason for the crew to be there at all and, regardless, they would have been on legal strike. It'd be BA's problem.
    As you say, you're guessing.

If your work requires you to crew a plane to Rio and back, why would BA have any responsibility if you chose to go walk about part way through the trip?
    Old Jan 20, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat

You keep bringing up the same arguments. The 21K salary that BA says MF crew receive as a minimum includes these payments. So deduct whatever you think the crew need per day away from the BA assertion and you get what BA says the MF crew receive as salary.

If we assume 8 days per month down route and allow expenses of 40% of the 24 hour rate, which is what it seems like HMRC do, then that's nearly 3K per year less, total of 18K which is the amount BA says MF crew receive. That is not a living wage for the Heathrow/Houslow area of anywhere close, and I suspect what the really receive is still less than that.
    Old Jan 20, 2017, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by makin'miles
    A big chunk of this is supposed to be salary,
    If this is the case why do UNITE keep saying that the starting salary is £12k a year?

Now who's being disingenuous?

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Jan 20, 2017 at 12:21 pm Reason: Fix quote
    Old Jan 20, 2017, 12:09 pm

As you say, you're guessing.

If your work requires you to crew a plane to Rio and back, why would BA have any responsibility if you chose to go walk about part way through the trip?
    if BA make a commercial decision to fly an aircraft empty back to the UK while crew are legally striking, then said crew would not be rostered to work a flight back to the UK one or two days later. Not their problem. And if BA doesn't like it, let them fight it through a labour tribunal.
    Old Jan 20, 2017, 12:12 pm

If this is the case why do UNITE keep saying that the starting salary is £12k a year?

Now who's being disingenuous?
    Well I'm not, for starters :-).

I think its its well established both BA and Unite will bend facts to suit their positions. While here on Flyertalk some of us may have differing opinions, I respectfully think the quality of discussion is much better if we avoid doing the same.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Jan 20, 2017 at 12:22 pm Reason: Fix quote attribution
    Old Jan 20, 2017, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
    total of 18K which is the amount BA says MF crew receive. That is not a living wage for the Heathrow/Houslow area of anywhere close, and I suspect what the really receive is still less than that.
    The living wage is about £8.25/hr. That may not go far in Houndslow, but the fact is that there are 4,000 MF employees, and I suspect that the majority of them make ends meet without sleeping in cars or having 2 jobs (not that having 2 jobs is unique to MF).

Whether it is a fair and reasonable salary for the work they do is a separate discussion.
    Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by nallison
    So what if they're not lower than what a lot of people in Britain make? Those wages are still a disgrace, basically impossible to live on in London, and what on earth is wrong with people using their legal rights to try and improve their working conditions?

Maybe those others on poor wages should consider whether they might have been better off with a union? I never get this bashing of people on very poor wages for trying to get better wages, bizarre. Almost always from people doing alright too. Takes all sorts I guess.
    Eh you're missing the point. Why not say then '18k isn't enough for London' rather than broadcasting a false figure.

I don't blame people who try to get better wages but there's different interests at play here. I'm not them, I'm a customer. As a passenger I don't like strikes and I don't like FAs who stay in a job they don't enjoy simply to collect seniority perks either (this is why U.S. airlines suck).

Would I strike if I was them? Probably not. I'd quit and find a new job.
    Old Jan 21, 2017, 9:18 am

Thank you to those MF crew working

Last night I took my usual biweekly BA48 from Seattle and the 777 was at minimum legal cabin crew of 8. While the CSM apologised in advance over the PA the crew really stretched themselves and the service was really untarnished. A great performance by those choosing to work and keep the airline flying.

Whichever side you are on in the strike, BA (and us pax) need to offer a great big thank you to these folks, without their decision to work we would all be suffering considerably (and as a Southern commuter trust me I know what that feels like).

With VS taking over from DL on the SEA-LHR route, BA needs to beware as if you leave me high and dry in Seattle, the decision to fly with the great bearded one will be undertaken, if reluctantly. Rewarding those staff keeping the airline flying is an absolute imperative. How about giving them 11/8ths pay as 8 people did the work of 11 and BA's revenues were the same.
    Old Jan 21, 2017, 9:20 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
    Minimum crew you say, well there's a surprise I thought BA had plenty of crew?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.