Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:41 am

Sadly for MF this strike was never going to work with the numbers involved. We all have sympathy with their cause but sadly this action has failed.

The crew report centre is so busy with crew today, both reporting and on standby, some are being sent home early due overcrowding. Crew on strike are tiny in number.
    Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
    Originally Posted by Lite
    I'm not sure why you need to be so personal, nor so aggressive throughout this thread.
    It wasn't my intention to cause offense, but I was surprised that you were apparently taken aback by the removal of strikers perks, given this is what happened in 2010 (albeit they were reinstated as part of the settlement in 2011)

You may not be trying to bring down BA from within, but there are clearly other who have different motives (Why the hell don't the other fleets come out in sympathy). I can almost visualise certain contributors to this thread salivating over the prospect of further industrial action when the legacy crew are due for a pay rise (bet they won't be asking for industry average + 10%).

I suspect that support for industrial action is at best luke warm, and no doubt it won't be long before everyone returns to ACAS. From BA's point of view, I can understand how it might be difficult to negotiate with somebody if they won't tell you what they want. Unfortunately there is so much bad feeling out there towards BA, I don't think agreeing a pay rise is going to solve the underlying problems.
    Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
    Originally Posted by FlyingGirl79
    Definitely seems that BA have got room to offer MF more
    No disputing that BA could afford to pay more, but was affordability taken into account by the strikers in the 2010 dispute, when BA were hemorrhaging cash.
    Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:43 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist
    Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
    Originally Posted by Silver Fox
    Lite, the clear majority are behind you here and are very appreciative of the calm and professional way you have approached this thread. Even taking the time to answer what are trolling posts, you have represented not only yourself but the company well. 100% behind you and your colleagues.
    Well said. Sifting through all the posts here, I always stop at the ones from Lite.
    Old Jan 19, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
    Originally Posted by Agent69
    (Why the hell don't the other fleets come out in sympathy).

Secondary action, illegal, been said numerous times.
    Do keep up.
    Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:26 pm

Have MFUnite conducted their own comparisons/benchmarking yet?
    Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:44 pm
    McG

Programs: BAEC
    Originally Posted by Waterhorse
    I too support my MF colleagues in their efforts to improve their lot. I am however, struggling to see what the union believes they will achieve with further strikes. BA is bent on not bowing to this pressure and has gone to some lengthy measures to achieve that aim. Indeed MF can arguably be said to be a result of the determination of BA not to give in to industrial action.

The problem is not an isolated one as any pay deal awarded to MF will be the benchmark minimum percent that the next workgroup demands. So while MFare asking for more than 6p an hour more BA will view this in different terms.

No no one should be surprised at the loss of ST as this was and has long been a tactic that BA has used against strikers. Those who are unaware if this really should have done their homework. I'm not sure of the bonus situation maybe Lite can help, but these often have a no IA clause linked to them - again IF this is the case then those moaning about it are being disingenuous.

I hope you get a decent pay rise I really do, but I wonder who is winning with this IA, MF or Len McLusky who seems to be trying to, once again, make political hay and reestablish his credentials as a union hardliner.
    You make a good point about Len McLusky. There is currently an election campaign for General Secretary of Unite, with Len campaigning for re-election.
    Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
    General McCluckCluck was the name he deservedly earned from me during the last BASSA fiasco.

Originally Posted by Agent69
    No disputing that BA could afford to pay more, but was affordability taken into account by the strikers in the 2010 dispute, when BA were hemorrhaging [sic] cash.
    No, but that was then and this is a different bargaining group, which doesn't affect what MF should be offered. Legacy fleets are being offered more this year (enough? don't know) but MF are not. Why? Unaffordable? No.
    Old Jan 19, 2017, 4:00 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lsee...ature=youtu.be

With this in the public domain, at 28 seconds in 'us as Senior Cabin Crew Members, we have no right to fight for better terms and conditions and better pay'...

The dispute and resulting (current) action is about pay and pay alone, is it not?
    Old Jan 19, 2017, 5:03 pm
    Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
    Originally Posted by Angelo_oscuro
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lsee...ature=youtu.be

With this in the public domain, at 28 seconds in 'us as Senior Cabin Crew Members, we have no right to fight for better terms and conditions and better pay'...

The dispute and resulting (current) action is about pay and pay alone, is it not?
    The full quote is:
    "This dispute is for both of us as customer service managers, this is about us having the right to bargain and at the moment we have no bargaining rights as Senior Cabin Crew members to fight for better Terms & Conditions and better pay."

Don't see how that is at all inconsistent with anything we've heard in the dispute. Pay and T&Cs are almost always inexorably linked.
    Old Jan 19, 2017, 5:30 pm

Isn't it just a bit dishonest to hold up placards claiming they make 12k when in reality nobody working as BA cabin crew actually makes that. Not that the real salaries are fantastic but it's still propaganda. Perhaps because the real salaries are not really lower than what a lot of regular people in Britain make?
    Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:16 pm
    Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
    Originally Posted by Ber2dca
    Isn't it just a bit dishonest to hold up placards claiming they make 12k when in reality nobody working as BA cabin crew actually makes that. Not that the real salaries are fantastic but it's still propaganda. Perhaps because the real salaries are not really lower than what a lot of regular people in Britain make?
    So what if they're not lower than what a lot of people in Britain make? Those wages are still a disgrace, basically impossible to live on in London, and what on earth is wrong with people using their legal rights to try and improve their working conditions?

Maybe those others on poor wages should consider whether they might have been better off with a union? I never get this bashing of people on very poor wages for trying to get better wages, bizarre. Almost always from people doing alright too. Takes all sorts I guess.
    Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:41 pm
    Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
    Originally Posted by Angelo_oscuro
    Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum Angelo_oscuro, thank you for posting here and please make yourself at home here. My take is that it is largely about pay, but also to some extent about working conditions: in the case of flying the two are closely linked - if a location has a 2 night turnaround rather than 1 night then it is easier to work and the pay goes up. My perception is that a settlement on the pay issue would probably bring the industrial action to a swift end.
    Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:17 pm

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
    Originally Posted by nallison
    So what if they're not lower than what a lot of people in Britain make? Those wages are still a disgrace, basically impossible to live on in London, and what on earth is wrong with people using their legal rights to try and improve their working conditions?

Maybe those others on poor wages should consider whether they might have been better off with a union? I never get this bashing of people on very poor wages for trying to get better wages, bizarre. Almost always from people doing alright too. Takes all sorts I guess.
    I always wonder regarding those people who say working for BA (or anyone) and living in London is impossible. If you can't afford to live in London then you have to move to where you can afford to live (and work).

A workforce doesn't magically appear and the market sorts out the wages and costs and businesses operate accordingly. As we have seen with the Dutch PM recently who is complaining that a Dutch painter on a building site is becoming a rarity as there is plenty of cheap Foreign labor taking his place resulting in lower taxes etc etc. The way things are at the moment there are plenty of people willing to work in less than stellar conditions for the pay that is on offer affecting everyone's way of life. No good complaining at BA but it is pretty obvious from votes around the world that people are finding the right way to find a solution to this problem.

Last edited by moral_low_ground; Jan 19, 2017 at 11:23 pm
    Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:25 pm

Why do MF not strike on some downroute destinations? This would strand aircraft, as they would not have crew to operate the service back to LHR and disrupt the company's operations significantly more.

Realise that the crew would then have to get back to the UK, but perhaps targeted action where it would hurt the company back, with UNITE using union funds to fly the crew back commercially, would be a smart tactic.

Perhaps there are reasons that this is not possible/advisable, but I'm curious if this would be a good tactic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.