Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2017, 4:18 am

Programs: BAEC - Lowly blue
    There we go

"Flight BA0854 on 20-Jan/LHR - This service is operated by Titan Airways on our behalf. We apologise for any issues this may cause."

If I didn't know about these guys from this forum I'd be pretty terrified about that lack of information...
    Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:36 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
    Originally Posted by stewaran
    It did mean free food and drink for me last week :-)
    Was the food and drink the same as we had prior to BoB (e.g. tiger beer, complimentary snack, cartons of Sunpride juice), or free but based on BoB supplies (M&S food) or does Titan have their own catering arrangements.

Let's hope the answer this time isn't 'none' and the only reason you got catering last time was because they still had surplus supplies from the previous caterer.

When I'd flown to MAN during a previous strike and they had FR operating the flight for BA they just handed out items from the FR menu complimentary.
    Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:06 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
    Originally Posted by layz
    Was the food and drink the same as we had prior to BoB (e.g. tiger beer, complimentary snack, cartons of Sunpride juice), or free but based on BoB supplies (M&S food) or does Titan have their own catering arrangements.

Let's hope the answer this time isn't 'none' and the only reason you got catering last time was because they still had surplus supplies from the previous caterer.

When I'd flown to MAN during a previous strike and they had FR operating the flight for BA they just handed out items from the FR menu complimentary.
    It was a 7am departure, so i am not able to report on the tiger beer :-)

food offered was a croissant that looked like the previous offering, however i have never been keen on the breakfast catering in ET. The cups were BA branded so i guess loaded whilst at LHR and not a titan offering.

So far the BA crew cant seem sell to service BOB themselves, so not sure they could expect 3rd party to do this.
    Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:29 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
    Originally Posted by Can I help you
    Does Titan offer a CE service or is it just one class?
    It was a one class service.

It felt that the first few rows were only allocated with blocked seats so you had no-one seated next to you. However cabin crew also let people sit where ever they wanted.

I was in 1A, and after boarding finished a lady moved forward, sat next to me with BP in row 19.
    Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
    Originally Posted by Lite
    The union and BA themselves in both of their comms have said this is only about pay
    But still unable to answer the simple question "what are UNITE actually asking for"
    Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Lite
    very worried about the loss of my bonus, possibly for 2 years now, and of course rebate travel now for 9 months.
    You embark on an industrial dispute with the avowed intent of bringing the company to it's knees, and you're surprised when they withdraw some of your non contractual perks. You live in a different world.
    Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
    Originally Posted by Agent69
    You embark on an industrial dispute with the avowed intent of bringing the company to it's knees, and you're surprised when they withdraw some of your non contractual perks. You live in a different world.
    I presume you earn a salary that is in a different world from Lite then.

Last edited by lloydah; Jan 18, 2017 at 12:50 pm Reason: grammar
    Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:49 pm
    Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
    ... or, alternatively, you begin to realise you live in a world where your employer is simply not interested in you and merely regards you as the cheapest form of labour available, and maximises that stranglehold they have.

Many might regard that as abuse of power. That's hardly the basis for a productive working relationship. If my employer treated me like that I'd want to get out, but I'm lucky in that (a) they are genuinely trying to make conditions better for us and (b) I'm not in an industry where seniority is totally lost when moving to a competitor and you pretty much start at the bottom again. Cabin Crew do not have the same options many of us are lucky enough to enjoy.
    Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:58 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
    Just stop feeding them.
    Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:02 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
    Especially champagne and caviar.
    Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
    Originally Posted by Silver Fox
    Just stop feeding them.
    The passengers? Great idea!

Oh wait, I think Mr Cruz had that one first...
    Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:41 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
    Striking is a right, guaranteed by law. It is already severely restricted, and 'punishing' the action of striking in and by itself in a way that sounds too much like blackmailing for comfort is indeed likely to surprise anyone who still had some level of respect for BA as a company, not least (hopefully) their employees.
    Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:45 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
    Especially champagne and caviar.
    ^ And no more truffle and lobsters on the staff cafeteria morning eggs benedict!
    Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
    Does Titan offer a CE service or is it just one class?
    2 class on my BIO last week. Standard Club Europe catering and bar. No evidence of BOB in ET.
    Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
    .That's hardly the basis for a productive working relationship.
    The vast majority of the British workforce are employed in non unionised industry, where employer and employee appear to be able to settle their difference without recourse to industrial action. Why is it that when a union becomes involved there is acrimony and dissent?

BA and London Underground are examples on businesses that would never be allowed to go bust. As a consequence the employees can cause as much havoc as they like, safe in the knowledge that there will always be a job to go back to. Contrast that with the likes of Ineos or Tata steel who work in the real world, and as a consequence the unions are unhappy but won't be calling for strike action, because if they did all the workers would lose their jobs.

So when people complain of blackmail, that's exactly how I see the union position. You can go on strike as often as you like with complete impunity. That's no way to run a business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.