Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2017, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by Agent69
    BA retains the lions share of the currency risk by virtue of the hotel cost. While the overall package for MF may be complex, the downstream allowance is quite simple to understand (£3/hr paid in sterling).

If you don't like the exchange rate in Brazil then don't ask to be rostered onto the GIG route.
    MF crew cannot dictate where they are rostered to, only "bid" for the routes that they do want.
    Old Jan 15, 2017, 5:30 am

For short-haul turnaround flights, do staff incur any food or expense costs?
    Old Jan 15, 2017, 6:06 am

Likely not always... but that's why the GBP3/hour is treated by the UK Government partially as income and partially for down-route expenses - only the income portion is taxed.

I would assume that were MF fleet only rostered on long-haul flights, the UK Government would tax a slightly lower percentage of the hourly rate - and the opposite would be true if only rostered on short-haul, with fewer overnight stops away from base.
    Old Jan 15, 2017, 6:12 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
    Originally Posted by makin'miles
    Likely not always... but that's why the GBP3/hour is treated by the UK Government partially as income and partially for down-route expenses - only the income portion is taxed.

I would assume that were MF fleet only rostered on long-haul flights, the UK Government would tax a slightly lower percentage of the hourly rate - and the opposite would be true if only rostered on short-haul, with fewer overnight stops away from base.
    It seems like this is overly complex. Why mix income and expenses? HMRC will continually need to look at what percentage is taxable causing crew that are more often rostered LH to suffer a relative loss since they incur higher additional subsistence costs. BA will also need, and I suspect this could be a sticking point, to continually look at the hourly rate based on changing subsistence requirements. The cynic in me would suspect it was devised this way to insulate BA from such variances pasing the risk to the travelling crew.
    Old Jan 15, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: BA Silver
    Can any MF crew state what portion of their £3/hour is taxable and at which rate (if not the standard nominal rate)?
    Old Jan 15, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: BA Gold Hilton Diamond IHG Spire ANEK Ferries Gold
    Originally Posted by kauppias
    Ok, I wonder how far in advance they were told...

To be honest ba F isnt all that much as it is, so to cut back even more would be dissappointing for sure...😄
    I'm still waiting to be told about it and my flight was last Tuesday.
    Old Jan 15, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
    Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
    For short-haul turnaround flights, do staff incur any food or expense costs?
    Unlike longhaul, crew meal provision is a bit more hit and miss on shorthaul. Crew food is only loaded on turnaround flights that end up being more than an 8 hour duty period. They aren't loaded on multi sector shorthaul days more than 8 hours, as the company rosters us with 75 minutes chocks to chocks at base to achieve a "planned meal break" or at the least to go and grab some food.
    Old Jan 15, 2017, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Paralytic
    Can any MF crew state what portion of their £3/hour is taxable and at which rate (if not the standard nominal rate)?
    Of the £3 an hour, 40p in each £1 is taxed at a reduced rate. We have an annual audit with HMRC where we have to keep receipts of buying food and drinks downroute to keep this preferential tax rate. All of the £3 an hour is fully taxable when on grounded duties, recruitment or training, even though it is meant in lieu of meal allowances or expenses.
    Old Jan 15, 2017, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by strichener
    MF crew cannot dictate where they are rostered to, only "bid" for the routes that they do want.
    Yes, you're right. There is preferential bidding but it is just that, a preference, not a write your own roster system. There are no guarantees that you will be granted all or any of your requests. The system, called Carmen, is obviously designed to make you as productive as possible. You can't use avoid bids to filter out what you don't want to work either.
    Old Jan 15, 2017, 8:53 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
    @ Lite ... all that must keep dozens of HMRC staff in full/dull employment!

Still, when your pay & allowances starts off being so complicated, what could one expect! I'm doing my Tax Return at the moment ... probably takes 30 minutes overall, despite the complexities of 'Dual Taxation' in JER and UK.
    Old Jan 16, 2017, 2:50 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
    Will the strike arrangements due to be published today only be sent to people whose flights are affected? I have a couple of non-MF bookings, so hopefully shouldn't be a problem, unless they shuffle staff around. If I don't hear anything from BA today, can I assume I'm ok?
    Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:10 am
    Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
    Originally Posted by Deltus
    Will the strike arrangements due to be published today only be sent to people whose flights are affected? I have a couple of non-MF bookings, so hopefully shouldn't be a problem, unless they shuffle staff around. If I don't hear anything from BA today, can I assume I'm ok?
    Yes, according to the annoouncement made on ba.com last week:

"Our contingency plans, which were successful during the previous two days of industrial action, will once again ensure that all of our customers will travel to their destinations.

We will publish our plans on Monday 16 January to customers who have bookings on the days of threatened industrial action.

Please do not call our contact centres, as at this stage they will not be able to provide any more details than are contained here.

British Airways remains focused on resolving this issue as quickly as possible.

Thank you for your support and understanding."
    Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:50 am

Programs: BAEC
    Based on past form have we any idea what time today the strike arrangements are likely to be announced?

We have a flight on Thursday and I'm worried about the MAN - LHR connection.
    Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: I don't fly enough
    Originally Posted by FlyerGill
    Based on past form have we any idea what time today the strike arrangements are likely to be announced?

We have a flight on Thursday and I'm worried about the MAN - LHR connection.
    I've just tweeted them asking this. Will post if they reply anything useful (unlikely....)
    Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:25 am
    Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
    Originally Posted by Leeski
    I've just tweeted them asking this. Will post if they reply anything useful (unlikely....)
    I tweeted earlier today too but no response yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.