Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
Routes to/from LGW*/LCY/STN are NOT affected. Only flights to/from LHR* are potentially affected. If you think you may be affected, post 2714 (click here) may be helpful.

*The LGW-JFK flight has seen a lot of cancellations for the current strike period.

Current strike period:
  • None

Next announced strike period:

Previous strike periods:
    • 25th December 2016 from 00:01 for 48 hours. (Strike action was suspended following ACAS discussions and revised offer.)
    • 10th & 11th January 2017
    • 19th January 2017 for 72 hours until 21st January
    • 5th-7th & 9th-11th February 2017
    • 17th-20th February 2017
    • 22nd-25th February 2017
    • 3rd-9th March 2017
    • 16th-19th June 2017 (suspended pending further ACAS talks)
    • 1st-16th July 2017
    • 19th July-1st August 2017
    • 2nd-15th August 2017
    • 16th-30th August 2017

Routes affected:
    As a possible indication, for the fifth strike period BA announced the following cancellations:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27910044-post2131.html as well as flights to and from Doha on all affected days (17 - 20 February).

Mixed fleet routes are listed here, though note that other (non Mixed Fleet) flights from Heathrow are also being cancelled.

Note for context in terms of how many routes might actually be affected: there are about 4000 members of MF (of which ~2,700 are Unite members and therefore eligible to take industrial action) and 15,000 total cabin crew

Background Details from BA:
    Strike 19th July-1st August
    2nd August-16th August

Background Details from Unite:
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...ty-pay-levels/
    http://www.unitetheunion.org/news/br...refuses-talks/

Latest negotiating position:
    Talks at ACAS in June appear to have failed, with a further two week strike commencing 1st July announced on 16th June.

Key upcoming dates:
    • Latest negotiated position (@ 23rd Oct 2017) between BA & Unite to be balloted. Rumoured that the union is recommending acceptance.

Ballot results for industrial action:
    • First ballot, November 2016: Yes 79.5%, No 20.5%
    • Second ballot, December 2016: Yes 70%, No 30%
    • Third ballot, March 2017: Yes 56%, No 44%, turnout 72%
    Print Wikipost

BA 'Mixed Fleet' cabin crew dispute [agreement reached]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2017, 12:44 am

Programs: BAEC silver
    If some staff didn't strike to protect their travel benefits and suffer the strike breaker abuse for doing so, wouldn't reinstating travel benefits for strikers totally undermine those who didn't strike?
    Old Jun 3, 2017, 2:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
    Originally Posted by Swampz64
    If some staff didn't strike to protect their travel benefits and suffer the strike breaker abuse for doing so, wouldn't reinstating travel benefits for strikers totally undermine those who didn't strike?
    Exactly

Strikers knew the potential consequences of their actions right from the start. No point in bleating about it now, it's a classic case of you've made your bed now lie in it.

In the pat BA have caved in and reinstated the perks, but it would be a massive deterrent to future action if they held out this time.
    Old Jun 3, 2017, 2:44 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
    Originally Posted by Agent69
    Exactly

Strikers knew the potential consequences of their actions right from the start. No point in bleating about it now, it's a classic case of you've made your bed now lie in it.

In the pat BA have caved in and reinstated the perks, but it would be a massive deterrent to future action if they held out this time.
    And of course the ones who didn't strike, won't be taking any of the benefits conceded by the company that the industrial action won...
    Old Jun 3, 2017, 3:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
    Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
    And of course the ones who didn't strike, won't be taking any of the benefits conceded by the company that the industrial action won...
    In principle a very reasonable suggestion, but I don't know how you can stop BA 'rewarding' non strikers by giving them the same pay deal as the strikers.
    Old Jun 3, 2017, 3:09 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
    Exactly, classic divide and conquer technique from BA.
    Old Jun 3, 2017, 3:09 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
    After the last dispute BA returned staff travel to all the strikers, this was part of the deal that we accepted, if we hadn't been offered this we wouldn't have accepted the deal, MF strikers just want to be treated the same.
    It is immoral to think that those who walked on by get the same benefits as those who fought for a better deal.
    Old Jun 3, 2017, 3:14 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
    Originally Posted by KARFA
    I think previously cancellations were only loaded about 1-2 days before the start of the strikes.
    OK, good to know, not overly helpful of BA :-/
    ​​​​​​​
    Originally Posted by tinkicker
    36 hours and no reroute or any other assistance for me last time. It was not a 'mf route' either.

I know it's a tiny proportion of flights that are likely to be affected but I don't believe any route can be guaranteed to operate during a strike and if they cancel then you are really stuffed as they will deny any assistance and blame the strikers. My strong advice: if you need to get to where you are going those days and don't want to risk being massively out of pocket, take a different carrier.
    I see your point.

My choice is quite out of pocket now (cancellation charges on the BA booking and cost of other travel) or maybe quite out of pocket later (if BA cancel and I have to get some other travel). Not a great choice, but I don't have to get back on time to perform life-saving brain surgery so I will probably take my chances nearer the time.

...and then re-evaluate whether to use BA much, until they sort themselves out.
    Old Jun 3, 2017, 3:31 am
    Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
    Originally Posted by pt flyer
    I've been booked on a flight from SEA to LHR for several months now that leaves on June 19th. I'm unsure what to expect with this possible strike. Can anyone give me an idea of what has happened in the past and just how much disruption there was on the long haul flights? Trying not to panic, but I am a little worried.
    Whilst SEA is a MF route, long haul routes pretty much ran as scheduled. It was domestic and short haul which were mostly affected. I don't think I would be concerned on your route.
    Old Jun 3, 2017, 3:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
    Originally Posted by KARFA
    Whilst SEA is a MF route, long haul routes pretty much ran as scheduled. It was domestic and short haul which were mostly affected. I don't think I would be concerned on your route.
    I was long haul and was cancelled.
    Old Jun 3, 2017, 3:59 am
    Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
    Originally Posted by tinkicker
    I was long haul and was cancelled.
    Route? I think DOH or AUH were cancelled, maybe one of the JFK rotations.
    Old Jun 3, 2017, 4:44 am

Programs: ba lifetime gold, MAS gold, hhonors gold
    advice?

I know that there is no definitive answer to this one but would value the thoughts of the community.

We are booked to fly on an avios redemption on 17 May - Glasgow - LHR - Palma,

We fundamentally have 2 options:
    1. cross our fingers
    2. Buy one way flights on JET2 from Glasgow direct to Palma for £350 and cancel the outbound legs to Palma. I have confirmed with the call centre that we can cancel the outbound legs and retain the returns with an avios refund and a partial refund of the fees. So the net cost would be about £400

Not keen on throwing away £400 and front row seats in CE but...

What would people do?
    Old Jun 3, 2017, 4:46 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
    Originally Posted by malcolmcampbell
    I know that there is no definitive answer to this one but would value the thoughts of the community.

We are booked to fly on an avios redemption on 17 May - Glasgow - LHR - Palma,

We fundamentally have 2 options:
    1. cross our fingers
    2. Buy one way flights on JET2 from Glasgow direct to Palma for £350 and cancel the outbound legs to Palma. I have confirmed with the call centre that we can cancel the outbound legs and retain the returns with an avios refund and a partial refund of the fees. So the net cost would be about £400

Not keen on throwing away £400 and front row seats in CE but...

What would people do?
    I'd personally stick and wait, see what the arrangements are, but keep an eye on the Jet2 availability.
    Old Jun 3, 2017, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by Swampz64
    An interesting point

Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
    But then, so is this.
    Old Jun 3, 2017, 4:52 am

Programs: Meh
    Is Dallas MF? Due to fly in F the 16th.
    if BA cancels I presume they will rebook me on AA?
    Old Jun 3, 2017, 4:56 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
    Originally Posted by Agent69
    Exactly

Its not quite as clear cut as that. The news coverage yesterday broadly covered what's going on but obviously doesn't go into granular detail.

The pay deal for cabin crew was recommended by the Mixed Fleet Unite reps and by Unite themselves. It's a big step in the right direction in how MF cabin crew should be paid and would be more efficient and build for a more stable future as less is in variable earnings. Obviously some people still feel it isnt what they wanted and it isn't an amazing deal, but it is a good deal that our reps worked hard for. If it were down to the pay deal alone, then I would have voted yes.

Sanctions aren't just "travel perks" as BA puts it. In the settlement agreement that came with this pay deal they said that they wanted to end the legacy of this dispute. If you want to end the legacy of the dispute, then you end the sanctions also, you can't have your cake and eat it. BA wanted to retain a staff travel ban, remove any imagery, hashtags, symbols and badges associated with the union and the strike and also wanted to put a clause in that anybody managed out of the business for union or strike activity couldn't receive legal support from Unite.

I don't really use staff travel anyway, nor do I have union badges or labels, but certainly wouldn't vote to see any of my colleagues out on their ear with no recourse for help. It was a no from me and I hope that the company will be back around the table to do what they say that they want to. To end this acrimonious legacy and let us truly move on. Otherwise, the mandate runs through the entire summer holidays and I believe that we'll be in and out all summer which nobody wants. Not the airline, not the union and not the cabin crew.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.